• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman Art Bonanza

23 posts in this topic

A by-product of all the intense bidding before the end of the auction was that the seller had a good sense that it would end high-ish. No reason to accept an off Ebay offer that doesn't seem so great when compared to what's actually bid.

In a sense, it's too bad that Ebay is a sniper's paradise. If folks were encouraged to bid before the last few minutes, a lot more auctions would likely run their course. Of course, prices might go higher, but you'd think Ebay would be on board with that.

Maybe the "end time" of an auction should be random, within the last hour, to avoid all sniping.

A by-product of all the intense bidding before the end of the auction was that the seller had a good sense that it would end high-ish. No reason to accept an off Ebay offer that doesn't seem so great when compared to what's actually bid.

In a sense, it's too bad that Ebay is a sniper's paradise. If folks were encouraged to bid before the last few minutes, a lot more auctions would likely run their course. Of course, prices might go higher, but you'd think Ebay would be on board with that.

Maybe the "end time" of an auction should be random, within the last hour, to avoid all sniping.

It is funny that a lot of people are complaining about auctions ending early but you can see the incentive for an inexperienced seller who has only had 2 bids in 5 days.Yet I suspect most of the seasoned collectors here will still wait for the dying seconds of the auction.

I have bid on an art auction where the end time is extended by about 2 mins from the last bid, consequently there's little incentive to snipe. I wonder if ebay may eventually move towards something similar.

Interesting about the Death stat on the SOM page. I wonder if the new owner was aware of this.

Cheers

Joseph

So is there any thoughts on what the splash would actually be worth, had this been a 'real' auction and gone the distance? Clearly, reserve not met is not much of an indication of value, but still, I'd like to hear what numbers people might have had in their heads on this.

Cheers

Simon