• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Paypal and "New Information"

24 posts in this topic

I logged in this morning to send a forum member money via Paypal and get this information:

We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity recently. In order to provide your security and protect you from fraudsters we have introduced a new system of identification that will help us to avoid any kind of fraud or unauthorised access.

Please enter as more information as possible to provide your complete identification and to activate all the features of the new system.

Granted this is from the actual Paypal website, but I am hesitant to give them my SS#, ATM Pin #, and NEW credit card information, amongst other information. I had my identity stolen about 10 years ago and am always weary of giving out my information online. Has anyone else had this come up when they logged on to Paypal recently?

I logged in this morning to send a forum member money via Paypal and get this information:

We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity recently. In order to provide your security and protect you from fraudsters we have introduced a new system of identification that will help us to avoid any kind of fraud or unauthorised access.

Please enter as more information as possible to provide your complete identification and to activate all the features of the new system.

Granted this is from the actual Paypal website, but I am hesitant to give them my SS#, ATM Pin #, and NEW credit card information, amongst other information. I had my identity stolen about 10 years ago and am always weary of giving out my information online. Has anyone else had this come up when they logged on to Paypal recently?

Don't do it, James. (tsk)

No worries! I didn't give my information out, but I keep getting that message. I just contacted Paypal. Funny thing is that there is a grammatical error in their message. That tipped me off that this info was bogus. Oh that and the fact that they wanted all of my personal information too.

I have been going to Paypal.com. I contacted Paypal via phone and it looks as if my account has been corrupted. Oh well. No more paypal for me! :sorry: Well at least for some time. Looks like I will be sending checks to people until Paypal gets this sorted out.

I have been going to Paypal.com. I contacted Paypal via phone and it looks as if my account has been corrupted. Oh well. No more paypal for me! :sorry: Well at least for some time. Looks like I will be sending checks to people until Paypal gets this sorted out.

Wow! That's crazy! Wonder how they managed to corrupt your account?

Well I sorted it out myself and got through Paypal without giving that information out. It took about 20 minutes though. When I log in now I still get that same screen asking for the info, but I know how to get around it now. And the forum member got their payment!

Well I sorted it out myself and got through Paypal without giving that information out. It tooka bout 20 minutes though. When I log in now I still get that same screen asking for the info, but I know how to get around it now. And the forum member got their payment!

:o Be careful. They could still gain access to your account.

Well I went in the other day to possibly change my password as I sometimes do. I noticed that they have added some increased security measures. When you want to change information, you have to very it by entering the card data you have on file with them. Some online hacker shouldn't have whatever credit card info you have in your wallet right? Well lets hope not.

Anyway, you have to enter the info about banks or credit card before you change info. The reason I am glad to see is because once I was absentmindedly doing something and clicked an email link to paypal and it was bad of course but I didn't realize it until I had already clicked enter. I quickly went in and changed my passwords but I always have that sick feeling it could happen. To me this was a welcome measure.

I just changed my password the other day. They didn't ask me to verify my credit card or anything like that, but they called the phone number that I gave them when I registered and gave me an automated message containing a security code that I had to put in before I could change the password.

My Paypal account is almost 8 years old and I will NOT give them any more information than they already have. While I find Paypal to be extremely useful, I'd rather get rid of my account entirely.

Just used paypal this afternoon.Didnt have to jump through all those hoops.