• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

test your grading skills

22 posts in this topic

The answers have been pretty good based on the info given. Now for an additional bit of information: there is a faint 4 1/2 inch crease, which can barely be seen on the scan, which I never saw until CGC pointed it out. So the final grade was a 4.0 - perhaps the nicest looking 4.0 I have received to date. Now for another question: does a faint crease count the same as a very visible crease? Does CGC deduct more for a crease that breaks color, than one that doesn't (barely visible)?

The answers have been pretty good based on the info given. Now for an additional bit of information: there is a faint 4 1/2 inch crease, which can barely be seen on the scan, which I never saw until CGC pointed it out. So the final grade was a 4.0 - perhaps the nicest looking 4.0 I have received to date. Now for another question: does a faint crease count the same as a very visible crease? Does CGC deduct more for a crease that breaks color, than one that doesn't (barely visible)?

I've always believed that a Fine cannot have a serious crease. So, whenever I came across a comic that looked like a Fine but had a minor crease in it, I'd downgrade it to a F-. Based on what I've just witnessed, I will now give any comic with a serious crease in it an automatic VG. But, I'm still not sure if I would handle a subscription crease the same way. Those also have varying degrees of creasing. I have a suspicion this comic must have other flaws perhaps not that obvious as to the reason why it was given a VG by CGC. Maybe something on the inside, or the back cover. It's usually an accumulation of defects that makes a VG. Or, perhaps it was the size of the crease that gave this a VG as you did describe it as being a bit large.

Tough one.

Can't help feeling CGC would treat a crease that breaks color more seriously than one that doesn't. Funnny thing about this grade, is I do have a VG- CGC'd. ...and it looks a LOT worse than this one.

I feel your pain. frown.gif

I have got to admit, yours looks better than mine, and mine is a CGC 5.0. I tried to scan it, but the CGC holder makes the scan come out too dark. They must have counted a lot off for that crease, because mine has 4 good size Marvel chips, and a rough top edge. Not only that, but even though the spine is great, the top staple looks pulled from the cover.

Certification # = 0055023006Grade Date = 01/13/2003Issue Date = 09/63Publisher = MarvelCategory = UniversalGrade = 4.0Page Quality = Off-White to WhiteArt Comment = Stan Lee story Jack Kirby coverKey Comment = Origin & first appearance of the X-Men.Key Comment = 1st appearance of Cyclops Marvel Girl

You gave it away...

I was gonna guess VG/VG- because that bottom spine corner looks smashed.

A surface crease wouldn't be so bad but a crunch that goes through the whole book hurts a lot.