• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

Is this thread a joke?

Why do you ask that, Russ? It has been mentioned several times here that the Church books should be considered pressed. I'm just strking while the platen is hot.

It might be because the last time it was brought up by me I was ridiculed, heckled, told that I might want to educate myself more, and informed that the analogy was ludicrous. I'll dig up the thread if I can find it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=1894227&Searchpage=4&Main=105357&Words=seanh&topic=0&Search=true#Post1894227

Is this thread a joke?

Why do you ask that, Russ? It has been mentioned several times here that the Church books should be considered pressed. I'm just strking while the platen is hot.

It might be because the last time it was brought up by me I was ridiculed, heckled, told that I might want to educate myself more, and informed that the analogy was ludicrous. I'll dig up the thread if I can find it.

Yes, but you aren't EXPECIALLY NEWBISH. :baiting:

are "pressed" in the way we use the term "pressing" in the various "pressing threads"?

imho, partially. I do not think flaws were necesserally pressed out, but the way they were stacked certainly is not far removed from the flat pressing, and lended itself to making the books nice and fresh..similar to what a light pressing might do.

Many view the storage methods of the Church books too similar to flat pressing and that is why pressing does not bother them. The results are obviously different, as is the intent behind pressing intentionally. Which lies at the heart of many peoples dislike of pressing. But either process is not altogether that unsimilar, just the results.

Ze-

Is this thread a joke?

Yes, but you aren't EXPECIALLY NEWBISH. :baiting:

Poor POV, he's just a little more, seasoned, than some of us. Those mods should respect their elders!

Is this thread a joke?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=1894227&Searchpage=4&Main=105357&Words=seanh&topic=0&Search=true#Post1894227

Truthfully Sean this was not aimed at you. I do not think I was involved in that thread. I DID seen it mentioned a bit in the most recent pressing threads but do not recall ever haivng a separate thread on it. Not that this one will stay "pure" for long but it does, to me, address the definition of restoration to an extent. More later.

Is this thread a joke?

Truthfully Sean this was not aimed at you. I do not think I was involved in that thread. I DID seen it mentioned a bit in the most recent pressing threads but do not recall ever haivng a separate thread on it. Not that this one will stay "pure" for long but it does, to me, address the definition of restoration to an extent. More later.

It's all good, POV. My reaction was a visceral one and not directed at you or even comicsupply. Just merely flashing back to the last time I tried to get the fine folks around here to address the slippery slope aspect of pressing by using the Church books analogy.

are "pressed" in the way we use the term "pressing" in the various "pressing threads"?

imho, partially. I do not think flaws were necesserally pressed out, but the way they were stacked certainly is not far removed from the flat pressing, and lended itself to making the books nice and fresh..similar to what a light pressing might do.

Many view the storage methods of the Church books too similar to flat pressing and that is why pressing does not bother them. The results are obviously different, as is the intent behind pressing intentionally. Which lies at the heart of many peoples dislike of pressing. But either process is not altogether that unsimilar, just the results.

Ze-

Should the term then be recoined as "machanically pressed"? Since from what I read to understand the debate almost always revolved around using machinery to apply pressure and moisture/chemicals.

Ze-

Should the term then be recoined as "machanically pressed"? Since from what I read to understand the debate almost always revolved around using machinery to apply pressure and moisture/chemicals.

Get ready to put your asbestos suit on, my friend . . .

Why does this horse need to be beaten more? Every few months this comes up, and the same thing happens: people disagree and arguments arise.

Do you honestly enjoy reading people taking shots at each other and arguing? doh!

Certainly not pressed in a sort of deception type way, but it is a fact that many of the books benefited from the 'pressing' weight of many of their fellows and therefore bear the same traits as deliberately pressed books.

On the other hand many of the books suffered from the storage methods and were therefore 'pressed' into slightly inferior conditions.

On balance I would personally think that pressing is a term that can be dispensed with with regard to these books, as it would'nt bother me...it's a sort of 'act of God'. 2c

:hi: Pov!

The anwser to your question is no. There was no heat or moisture involved with the Church books. Books that are stacked (right to the ceiling) are not considered pressed.

Disclaimer:

This is based on my opinion alone and I am not responsible for any facts that are proven to be wrong. :grin:

Certainly not pressed in a sort of deception type way, but it is a fact that many of the books benefited from the 'pressing' weight of many of their fellows and therefore bear the same traits as deliberately pressed books.

On the other hand many of the books suffered from the storage methods and were therefore 'pressed' into slightly inferior conditions.

On balance I would personally think that pressing is a term that can be dispensed with with regard to these books, as it wouldn't bother me...it's a sort of 'act of God'. 2c

Pressing as an act of God? I could work with that. hm

On balance I would personally think that pressing is a term that can be dispensed with with regard to these books, as it wouldn't bother me...it's a sort of 'act of God'. 2c

Pressing as an act of God? I could work with that. hm

Eat me, fancy pants.