• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

If anyone who is not familiar with the debate wishes some additional insight, please feel free to PM me and I will happily answer any questions.

Mark - why would you want to remove new opinions from the thread and handle them privately? Why not field the questions publicly?

I just posted my article from Scoop/GPA where I addressed the Church issue. I happily answered your straightforward question. Quite frankly, I have better things to do than respond to the same questions from the same people in a circular fashion. Nothing personal to you or anyone else. :foryou:

I don't take this whole issue personally. I am not a comic book. But first you said If anyone who is not familiar with the debate wishes some additional insight, please feel free to PM but now you say I have better things to do than respond to the same questions from the same people . If people familiar with the debat question you with the same stuff ignore them. My point was concerning people NEW to the debate, which you brought up.

Quite brilliant :applause:

YOU should be a Lawyer POV (worship)

are "pressed" in the way we use the term "pressing" in the various "pressing threads"?

Certainly not pressed in a sort of deception type way, but it is a fact that many of the books benefited from the 'pressing' weight of many of their fellows and therefore bear the same traits as deliberately pressed books.

On the other hand many of the books suffered from the storage methods and were therefore 'pressed' into slightly inferior conditions.

On balance I would personally think that pressing is a term that can be dispensed with with regard to these books, as it wouldn't bother me...it's a sort of 'act of God'. 2c

Pressing as an act of God? I could work with that. hm

Well it is The Church Collection after all... hm

And you do realize if I were to post videos showing 3-4 various pressing techniques, not soon afterwards dozens of people would be pressing books.

Nail on the head.

I talked to Matt many, many years ago about resotration and why it's such a secret. He and I both agreed that as soon as a little knowledge hit the street you would have hundreds of restoration "professionals" out there. Just imagine how mangled a lot of these books would be. Think about having a humders Hammers out there working on every book they though they could make a buck on. We are very fortunate to have such high quality experts working in the field. All of them (who are woth a darn) are true artists and take their profession very seriously.

I'm pretty stunned at the number of people who actually felt this retarted question was worth answering.

If you are talking about the original question I posed, what is retarded about it? It is rather progressive. And people have VERY vocally said the Chruch Books have been pressed so it is ok to press books. And others have said there was nothing to press out hence not pressed as we discuss pressing.

This is the first thread that is actually dedicated to the various possibilities of this particular topic. What is retarded? It actually entails some advanced thoughts in the definition of restoration vs consewrvation.

And you do realize if I were to post videos showing 3-4 various pressing techniques, not soon afterwards dozens of people would be pressing books.

Nail on the head.

I talked to Matt many, many years ago about resotration and why it's such a secret. He and I both agreed that as soon as a little knowledge hit the street you would have hundreds of restoration "professionals" out there. Just imagine how mangled a lot of these books would be. Think about having a humders Hammers out there working on every book they though they could make a buck on. We are very fortunate to have such high quality experts working in the field. All of them (who are woth a darn) are true artists and take their profession very seriously.

Hmmmm...maybe I'll talk to Susan Cicconi and set up my own demo. :hi:

Bold = My previous points and I think you're spot on here. Sure... there are some similarities in that pressure is applied to the books. The difference is exactly as you've laid it out- what type of pressure is applied (as different sorts will produce a different effect). Clearly stacking applies only enough pressure to securely store comics. Mechanic pressure is a different sort that goes beyond this. I think this is the point where Ze's comparison ends between the two. :shrug:

And I DO think this is a relevant topic. Everyone can agree to disclosure and the more information we "disclose" about our hobby, the better for everyone. Before we can even address whether or not pressing is a good/bad thing, it's necessary to lay out what it IS to begin with.

Sorry, don't mean to be a nudge. I think it's fine to evaluate the merits of stacking and pressing as you're doing but I don't find mixing the two helpful in addressing the controversy surrounding mechanical pressing. I think describing stacking as "pressing", a term which carries certain restorative connotations, really just muddies the analysis. I think it's fair to say that most hobbyists have historically considered stacking or tightly storing comics in boxes as preservative and to the extent that any inconsequential flattening did occur it didn't rise to the level of being considered restoration -- not sure that there's any reason to revisit this conclusion that the hobby made long ago just because mechanical pressing suddenly got controversial. The turning point here is that stacking or tight storing does not significantly improve defects... for the most part, it often, but not always, helps keep defects from occurring and perhaps helps to slightly flatten a book. This should not be confused with actual mechanical "pressing" which does not serve to prevent defects from occurring, but actually serves, often succcessfully, to eliminate defects like bends and creases and spine roll that have already occurred. This is a HUGE difference.

Now having said that, I do find myself a bit up in the air on this whole pressing thing.

I grow fatigued at the limits that the pro-pressing crowd will go to find the most far fetched analogies they can to try and prove that what a professional restoration expert does with his heat, moisture, and extreme pressure using a mechanical contrivance that has been proven to flatten and improve grades on comic books.....is not restoration.

Good heavens folks. Can we not all see how pathetic that is????

What the pro-pressing crowd finds pathetic is the attempt by the anti-pressing crowd to apply a scarlet letter to books that have undergone what we have every reason to believe is a completely harmless procedure.

I wasn't aware you were the newly elected "pro-pressing crowd" spokesman. I'm sure they appreciate you conveying their message though and speaking for them on the whole.

He does just as good a job as anyone else. Besides, Richard is probably tired and my posts lack content. :)

Nah, Richard was hanging out with me today in Houston, and he was a very gracious host and I appreciated the tour of one of his great comic book stores!! (thumbs u

I grow fatigued at the limits that the pro-pressing crowd will go to find the most far fetched analogies they can to try and prove that what a professional restoration expert does with his heat, moisture, and extreme pressure using a mechanical contrivance that has been proven to flatten and improve grades on comic books.....is not restoration.

What the pro-pressing crowd finds pathetic is the attempt by the anti-pressing crowd to apply a scarlet letter to books that have undergone what we have every reason to believe is a completely harmless procedure.

I wasn't aware you were the newly elected "pro-pressing crowd" spokesman. I'm sure they appreciate you conveying their message though and speaking for them on the whole.

He does just as good a job as anyone else. Besides, Richard is probably tired and my posts lack content. :)

Nah, Richard was hanging out with me today in Houston, and he was a very gracious host and I appreciated the tour of one of his great comic book stores!! (thumbs u

Cool. Sounds like fun. (thumbs u

Dang! If you are still posting, then that means the plan failed. Way to go, Richard. rantrant

Dang! If you are still posting, then that means the plan failed. Way to go, Richard. rantrant

:pullhair: We must resort to Plan B... hm ...What is Plan B? (shrug)