• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

They'd rather be at the Traci Lords signing on the convention floor.

Who wouldn't. Personally, I find Traci Lords more attractive than any of you guys. :)

LIAR! That's not what you PM'd me last week. :sorry:

You're special, Vaughn. :gossip:

Find some empty barracks guys, ok?

Who wouldn't. Personally, I find Traci Lords more attractive than any of you guys. :)

I admire her transition from adult films to mainstream, even if all she plays are pouty, tough women.

She can sing too.

She can play my.....nevermind.

Couldn't agree more (thumbs u . But then, we pro-pressers must stick together.

Obviously the other guys will think differently and say that we are much better looking than Traci.

[

And if you really believe the word hasn't got out, why isn't NOD doing a better job of making that happen? Why isn't it setting up at shows? Why isn't it at least handing out flyers at shows? Who's wearing the "ask the question" T-shirts?

The hobby as a whole doesn't have a clue. It will eventually. I'm not a spokesman for NOD.

Since you're not a spokesman for NOD, maybe Brent could speak to this. He's more than capable of an intelligent, constructive response.

When the nostogists run up against the opportunists, guess who loses, every time. When the average collector runs up againt the honed business operator you can forget about sitting out on the stoop and "talkin' comics".

There isn't a person on these boards who has a fonder association with comics than I do. I started collecting in the sixties, and part of my life's work has been heavily influence by the art that I came in contact with. Why do you think I feel as strongly as I do? What horrifies me most are the manipulative operations of those that see these books as another way to artificially pad their pockets.

Brad,

I have a little problem with this point of view. Basically you have lumped everyone who makes a living selling comic books ("honed business operators") into one pool and called them "opportunists". Actually, I have a BIG problem with that.

I pad my pockets selling comics. There is nothing artificial about it. I am proud of it. I am very proud of the work that I do and the business I built. But more than anything, I am proud of the unique relationship I have with my customers. Because I do "talk comics" with each and every one of them. Novice collectors, average collectors, and experienced know-it-all collectors like yourself get the same attention. I build these relationships and "talk comics" with my customers because, as you have said many times, an informed collector will be much more likely to continue collecting. Plus, I love talking about comic books. They are the reason I decided to make my living selling them. My hobby is my business...no better job in the world.

And there are many dealers, store owners, and collector/dealers who also operate this way. In fact I would say that honest dealers are by far the norm rather than the implied exception. Maybe you, and those like you, who feel so put out by someone making money selling the things that you love simply need to find a new stoop to sit on. A stoop where you can "talk comics".

Sheesh, Brad. It's just a few posts ago. I define the hobby in this context as those who collect platinum/gold/silver/bronze age, or those books most likely to fall into the possibly pressed category.

Okay, and how have those people (most of whom still do not have a clear picture of what is going on) decided anything? Where is the mainstream article in the collecting press that covered the issues? Where is the high profile seller who will append the information to his auctions that some of his books have been pressed?

Amazing how you've digested the facts and come up with your final solution.

"The hobby has decided!"

The hobby, for the most part, doesn't have a clue. And in every poll on these boards, among folks that have more of a clue....there is a clear majority who want it disclosed and a nice big fact chunk of collectors who have real concerns about it being a form of restoration. You're just choosing to ignore the facts and attempting to sweep the whole thing under the carpet.

That's not going to happen.

and if you Google "comic book restoration", the first site that comes up is Matt Nelson's, and the first service listed on his homepage is pressing.

As it should.....

Couldn't agree more (thumbs u . But then, we pro-pressers must stick together.

Obviously the other guys will think differently and say that we are much better looking than Traci.

You may be a very striking man Richard, but you are no Traci Lords.....

Sheesh, Brad. It's just a few posts ago. I define the hobby in this context as those who collect platinum/gold/silver/bronze age, or those books most likely to fall into the possibly pressed category.

Okay, and how have those people (most of whom still do not have a clear picture of what is going on) decided anything? Where is the mainstream article in the collecting press that covered the issues? Where is the high profile seller who will append the information to his auctions that some of his books have been pressed?

"The hobby has decided!"

The hobby, for the most part, doesn't have a clue. And in every poll on these boards, among folks that have more of a clue....there is a clear majority who want it disclosed and a nice big fact chunk of collectors who have real concerns about it being a form of restoration. You're just choosing to ignore the facts and attempting to sweep the whole thing under the carpet.

and if you Google "comic book restoration", the first site that comes up is Matt Nelson's, and the first service listed on his homepage is pressing.

As it should.....

Come on, Bill. Out of my entire post, that's the only phrase you choose to quote and respond to?

When the nostogists run up against the opportunists, guess who loses, every time. When the average collector runs up againt the honed business operator you can forget about sitting out on the stoop and "talkin' comics".

There isn't a person on these boards who has a fonder association with comics than I do. I started collecting in the sixties, and part of my life's work has been heavily influence by the art that I came in contact with. Why do you think I feel as strongly as I do? What horrifies me most are the manipulative operations of those that see these books as another way to artificially pad their pockets.

Brad,

I have a little problem with this point of view. Basically you have lumped everyone who makes a living selling comic books ("honed business operators") into one pool and called them "opportunists". Actually, I have a BIG problem with that.

I pad my pockets selling comics. There is nothing artificial about it. I am proud of it. I am very proud of the work that I do and the business I built. But more than anything, I am proud of the unique relationship I have with my customers. Because I do "talk comics" with each and every one of them. Novice collectors, average collectors, and experienced know-it-all collectors like yourself get the same attention. I build these relationships and "talk comics" with my customers because, as you have said many times, an informed collector will be much more likely to continue collecting. Plus, I love talking about comic books. They are the reason I decided to make my living selling them. My hobby is my business...no better job in the world.

And there are many dealers, store owners, and collector/dealers who also operate this way. In fact I would say that honest dealers are by far the norm rather than the implied exception. Maybe you, and those like you, who feel so put out by someone making money selling the things that you love simply need to find a new stoop to sit on. A stoop where you can "talk comics".

You having a little problem with my point of view is not a problem with me. All power to you. Reread my posts. I did not say every dealer. I might have an issue with promoting shilling, but that's another topic for another thread.

But there is definitely a sense of entitlement that big dealers seem to emit. As if they were somehow in a better position to "tell it like it is". All I'm saying is, the customer should be aware of the stuff that goes on, and proceed with extreme caution.

"The hobby has decided!"

As it should.....

Come on, Bill. Out of my entire post, that's the only phrase you choose to quote and respond to?

Well, it was the most succinct and telling phrase. It strikes at the very heart of the matter and I'm glad you posted it.

How we (the collective we) choose to deal with it is a completely separate matter, and one I would welcome discussion on.

Once we past the obvious (pressing = restoration) then we can have substantive discussion on how to address its place in the hobby. You may find we have much more agreement there. However, we can never seem to get to that stage.

Mine's 118 over 78, but I excercise and eat right and maintain an ideal weight. Of course I've never measured my BP while in on one of these pressing discussions...so who knows.Let's all measure our bp before and after a pressing thread and see what happens.

My blood pressure actually drops during these discussions. :cloud9:

"The hobby has decided!"

As it should.....

Well, it was the most succinct and telling phrase. It strikes at the very heart of the matter and I'm glad you posted it.

How we (the collective we) choose to deal with it is a completely separate matter, and one I would welcome discussion on.

Once we past the obvious (pressing = restoration) then we can have substantive discussion on how to address its place in the hobby. You may find we have much more agreement there. However, we can never seem to get to that stage.

Well, if we haven't reached that point, why not examine what NOD could be doing to get there? That's the part of my post that you chose to ignore. Here it is again...

And if you really believe the word hasn't got out, why isn't NOD doing a better job of making that happen? Why isn't it setting up at shows? Why isn't it at least handing out flyers at shows? Who's wearing the "ask the question" T-shirts?

Mine's 118 over 78, but I excercise and eat right and maintain an ideal weight. Of course I've never measured my BP while in on one of these pressing discussions...so who knows.Let's all measure our bp before and after a pressing thread and see what happens.

That's scary on many levels.

why ISNT NOD doing all these things? I dont get it either. Every convention should be plastered with flyers. And keep doing it until you can stop ANYbody on a convention floor (whether he be Traci Lords used sheets collector or VG Charlton collector) and he will have an opinion on the subject! How much will that cost for a few 100 thousand xeroxes?? A few hundred bucks?

But Bill, haven't you heard? It's place in "the hobby" has already been decided. No need for further discussion at all. (shrug)

That's scary on many levels.

I usually have a dash of a nice chianti too.

"The hobby has decided!"

As it should.....

Seriously, how do you plan on convincing everyone that pressing is restoration?

Why not rejoin and help out? Instead of complaining?

You call it complaining. I call them constructive ideas on how you could be getting the word across better. If I were a member, I'd be saying the same things.

Who said that was the goal, Doc? I think that eventually, making other collector's aware that pressing exists, and how it can substantially add questionable value to a book is the aim. It takes time....most of us have day jobs.

I'm not trying to make anyone do or believe anything. I believe in letting people decide for themselves.

I believe in freedom of choice, unlike the folks on the other side of the debate.