• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite GA Villain?

77 posts in this topic

I liked Mr. Mind a lot and Capt. Nazi, both were in multi-issue stories. Here is a Mr. Mind size splash of the first story.

He later joined with Hitler and others to attempt world domination.

2942033094_7b80d80c14.jpg

I like all of Batman's villians, Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Scarecrow and Penguin.

Sub-Mariner made a good villian but the Red Skull has to be the most impressive Timely villian.

The Claw was probably the best villian when he was drawn by Cole.

bb

1756971187_f3f7ba6d48_b.jpg

This was a pretty impressive cover. I think this scan was from ebay but it could have been posted on the Timely thread.

bb

When I was younger, I liked the Ironjaw and he might have been my favorite but I had never seen an early Claw story at that time.

2943748941_cc7242b496_o.jpg

I had a copy of this for forty years but I think I sold it to Dave Reynolds. This is a scan from someone on the boards.

I've never read an Iron Jaw story - but he always seemed a compelling character.

The Joker is obviously the most memorable of GA villains, but like the Red Skull and many of the others, pretty much a one-note character (although the Joker did shift from being a homicidal psychopath to a maniacal prankster). I'd say Catwoman is my favorite GA villain, as her relationship with Batman evolved over time, even back then, and she even went straight for a while. As a rule the female foils were more interesting in regards to their relationships with the male heroes - Valkyrie and Harlequin are two others that come to mind.

Outside of DC and Marvel, there’s quite a lot to pick from from Plastic Man’s “rogues gallery”:

Abba and Dabba, Amorpho, Black Widow, The Bounding Bandit, Captain Rivers, Cauldron, Concrete, the Crab, Robber Barron, Dazzla, Dr. Ameeba, Dr. Doser, Dr. Dratt, Dr. Erudite, Dr. Quomquat, Dr. Slicer, Dr. Volt, Eight Ball, Elektra, the Fiend of a thousand faces, Phony Fink, Gargantua, Granite Lady, Green Terror, Hairy Arms, the Hypnotist, Invisible Raiders, Iron Fist, the Japanese Beetle, Killer Crossbones, King of Crime, Jets, Leader, the Lava Man, Madam Brawn, the Mangler, Merlin the Wizard, the Mime, Mirror Man, Mr. Aqua, Mr. Fission, Mr. Happiness, Mr. Hazard, Mr. Morbid, The Moon Wizard, Mother Goose, Needles Noggin, the Owl, Penetro, Pogo Flinch, Professor Dimwit, Professor Sparks, the Purple Viking, Raka the Witch Doctor, Reflecto, Riverman, Pike Ronan, Rubber Man, Sadly-Sadly, Scowls, Serpina, Clarence Skidd, Skullface, Cyrus Smythe, Snout Sniggers, Spadehead, the Spider, Serena Sloop, the Stealing Hands, Stretcho, the Swami, Thrilla, Tricky Toledo, the Vanishers

My Favorite GA Villian is the Scarecrow.  I always liked the sort of horror feel to his stories and liked the costume too.  He reminded me as a kid of the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.  When I first saw the cover to Detective 73 it became a grail for me.  I was able to purchase a copy shortly after I finished my PhD.

detective73.jpg