• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I Hate International Bidders!!!

81 posts in this topic

Sorry that happened to you and clearly the guy is a total . You've probably cooled down by now and realized that there are insufficiently_thoughtful_person eBay buyers in every country. Hopefully you don't shoot yourself in the foot by cutting off all International buyers. People who do that are losing out on, literally, on a whole world full of prospects. Obviously selling abroad is a bit more inconvenient because of the customs form and having to go to the Post Office as opposed to being able to just drop US orders in the mailbox. But...any inconvenience is more than made up from the huge increase in potential bidders on your books. At least 1/4 of all my comic sales are from International buyers and that number is rising...the weak dollar is making their bids higher so I welcome their business with open arms! :cloud9:

So...I was just wondering...do any of you guys from outside the US, ever ask a seller to lie on the customs forms?

Just curious how you feel about that? [/color]

I ask my sellers to lie about the value all the time.

A tip that was given to me by a senior official at the customs department.

Used books don't get taxed, so they should be able to sail through customs without a single charge. But for some reason under Belgian law foreign comic books are not considered "literature" and are thrown in with "toys" so the tax/duty on that is 32%

The customs officer told me never to put "comics" on the envelop and to mark it as a gift with a certain value. As they have to pull everything else and examine it from top to bottom, which they don't really feel like doing as it takes up valuable time better spent for real contraband.

I've had a few books pulled by customs and they were pretty beaten up when I got them back, took three extra weeks and ended up costing me around $20.00 in duty. The boosk themselves were worth around $15.00 but the seller put the value at $50.00 because he thought that the post would treat it better because it had a higher value doh!

Oh and I wouldn't worry about insurance if I were you, even if you tick all the boxes and correctly fill in all the data, you'll never collect once it goes abroad and gets lost.

What countries to avoid selling to in Europe. I recall something about not selling to France and especially Italy do to some laws that let them dispute and refund international Paypal charges without cause, anyone know???

Over 90% of all countries...

Paypal only helps the seller when sent to a confirmed address...trouble is almost nobosy outside a few countries can get a "paypal confirmed address"

Outside Canada, the UK and a few other countries, paypal does not confirm addresses at all. I use paypal almost daily, have been a verified seller for over 6 years, have various credit cards and a bank account on file with them and spend nearly $5000 a year with them, but my address is still unconfirmed :(

So...I was just wondering...do any of you guys from outside the US, ever ask a seller to lie on the customs forms?

Just curious how you feel about that? [/color]

I ask my sellers to lie about the value all the time.

A tip that was given to me by a senior official at the customs department.

Used books don't get taxed, so they should be able to sail through customs without a single charge. But for some reason under Belgian law foreign comic books are not considered "literature" and are thrown in with "toys" so the tax/duty on that is 32%

The customs officer told me never to put "comics" on the envelop and to mark it as a gift with a certain value. As they have to pull everything else and examine it from top to bottom, which they don't really feel like doing as it takes up valuable time better spent for real contraband.

I've had a few books pulled by customs and they were pretty beaten up when I got them back, took three extra weeks and ended up costing me around $20.00 in duty. The boosk themselves were worth around $15.00 but the seller put the value at $50.00 because he thought that the post would treat it better because it had a higher value doh!

Oh and I wouldn't worry about insurance if I were you, even if you tick all the boxes and correctly fill in all the data, you'll never collect once it goes abroad and gets lost.

An honest man:) kind of ... (worship) I mentioned on the other thread, I have private insurance...for comics at least...but I'm not sure that what you are saying is going to make me MORE confortable, lol...

Just curious how you feel about that?

:hi:

Actually, if you've got someone from the UK asking you to lie about the value of a comic book...he's a ing cretin. Comics are zero rated for duty here, so there's simply no need. doh!

:hi:

Actually, if you've got someone from the UK asking you to lie about the value of a comic book...he's a ing cretin. Comics are zero rated for duty here, so there's simply no need. doh!

Well, that's great to know, I'll add UK, the next time I do Ebay....it's usually Canada, and the figurine I just sold went to Switzerland...I think that was on my mind, she wanted it to a different address, AND to mark it lower AND...the postage was too high (I actually charged less than the $31.00 it cost me, lol) ...I figure when I send something out of the US, I'm basically gambling...and on cheap stuff, it's OK, but if I ever sell more expensive items, I'm going to really have to think about it.

Thanks Nick! (worship)

Sorry that happened to you and clearly the guy is a total . You've probably cooled down by now and realized that there are insufficiently_thoughtful_person eBay buyers in every country. Hopefully you don't shoot yourself in the foot by cutting off all International buyers. People who do that are losing out on, literally, on a whole world full of prospects. Obviously selling abroad is a bit more inconvenient because of the customs form and having to go to the Post Office as opposed to being able to just drop US orders in the mailbox. But...any inconvenience is more than made up from the huge increase in potential bidders on your books. At least 1/4 of all my comic sales are from International buyers and that number is rising...the weak dollar is making their bids higher so I welcome their business with open arms! :cloud9:

I know this is more of him being an idjit problem than an international bidder. I was already peeved that he told me I was ripping him off on shipping and then I get this when I come home last night. Basic frustration. I have no plans to not take international bidders from now on. As Roy said, I like their money. And most of them aren't a problem like our Goldust40.

Sorry to hear that!

I typically only sell to US customers on Ebay as well, unless the buyer contacts me first (as others have mentioned). Since I ship all my packages via priority mail, the transaction is usually done within a few days after the customer pays. I don't feel good about not including international buyers in my Ebay auctions, but at least most of the drek I sell there is worth less than $50, and is readily available through other sellers. Anything worth over $50 I'll sell via Comiclink, and I know they accept international customers.

When I sell on here...and it hasn't been that often, I am always willing to sell to foreign bidders...but I am very reluctant on Ebay lately...I DO, but only if someone asks...

Why? Because I really don't want to write on the auction, that I won't lie about the price that was paid...I think those disclaimers sound rude and awful...and they turn me off, even though I live in the US.

But truthfully, more than 1/2 the bidders I was getting (and this is on glass and china, too) ask me to lie...and mark the item a gift under a certain amount. I'm just not comfortable signing the forms that way...and if it's something breakable, I want to send it insured, and I'm sure that mis-listing it on the customs forms will void the insurance...it's enough of a hassle to collect under normal circumstances.

No for the very same reasons you just listed if something happens to my package I dang well want it Insured! How ever I must say... if you don't say that you're not willing to ship outside then why would anyone ask you if you do first ? :)

I'm an international bidder and have never had any issues with my expections as a buyer around shipping costs or time.

As a SELLER - I have had all sorts of sillyfunnypeople that expect items to materialize the moment they click their Paypal buttons. I can say that these sillyfunnypeople are all across the world (well...not really, the Europeans are great! It's us North Americans that are into the instant gratification).

Personally, if you want to limit the people you sell to - that's fine by me. It means you'll elimintate getting higher prices. In fact, I think that the weak US dollar means that international bidders are driving prices up!

I think that bad bidders have little to do with where they live - it's in how they behave. Meanwhile, I still seem to find what I want and spend waaaaay too much money on US auctions that DO welcome the business.

(also, $20-$50 shipping is not a big deal on a $1000 book - so if these are penny-players, don't expect as much)

Custom forms.

Well....the truth is that anything under $200 doesn't incur a charge here to Canada.

On books over $200ish, I would probably just ask that it is sent via FedEx or UPS which is trackable and signed for - so delivery is tracked (you can also give the person a number so they can visit the website 600 times a day and check where it is themselves.

Custom forms.

Well....the truth is that anything under $200 doesn't incur a charge here to Canada.

On books over $200ish, I would probably just ask that it is sent via FedEx or UPS which is trackable and signed for - so delivery is tracked (you can also give the person a number so they can visit the website 600 times a day and check where it is themselves.

I've actually bin stung with customs charges on Items below $200 if I'm not mistaken...as far as UPS, their brokers nail you for a brokerage fee which is a real pain in the but. Usually a hefty sum. I'll never use UPS again for that reason.

R.

Custom forms.

I've actually bin stung with customs charges on Items below $200 if I'm not mistaken...as far as UPS, their brokers nail you for a brokerage fee which is a real pain in the but. Usually a hefty sum. I'll never use UPS again for that reason.

R.

Actually, it's anything $20.00 or over. Although, I've had packages with the declared value in the hundreds slip by customs, they try to pull anything and everything that's valued over $20.00.

If it's declared as a "gift", there really shouldn't be any customs of duties, but I've also been charged in this case. I disputed it and eventually got my money back, but theoretically, a gift isn't supposed to get written up.

Once, I bought a comic from the States for $15.00 plus $7.00 shipping. The lovely seller declared the value at $22.00 and I had to pay $5.00 handling plus $0.70 in duty and tax. doh!

On a side note, it looks as though the US, Canada, and Mexico are really pushing forward with their open borders/one currency ideas. No more USD, CAD, or Mexican Peso....welcome the Amero. Scary! :o

Andy

Yes, I'll ask that someone declare a lower value, but again, I make it clear that it would be appreciated, but that it isn't required. I don't consider it morally wrong because I don't believe I should be paying these fees when they don't apply to used books.

It's easy to be a comic collector in the U.S. When I was in my prime buying time, I once paid out almost $400 in duties on a 4K book, which I bought when the CAN dollar was at its weakest point. This is not exact, but it was somewhere along the lines of $6400 CAN total for a 4K book. And what would I get if I sold it tomorrow? About 4K CAN.

But again, I don't take these frustrations out on the seller. I chalk it up to an unavoidable cost of this silly little hobby, and I move on. I understand the reluctance to ship outside of the U.S, but I only ask that sellers at least consider evaluating individuals on a case by case basis, instead of just writing off entire countries all together. Don't forget that whatever headaches you face when having to occasionally ship outside the U.S, we "foreigners" have to face on almost every transaction, as both a buyer and a seller.

I love foreign bidders but I am very scared to take paypal on high dollar stuff from overseas anymore. The french guy who chargebacked $400 caused that.

I like that paypal has limited it to three possible chargebacks a year for people (unless you truly get screwed more than that) but no one seems to want to send me money via western union and of course ebay pretty much forbids putting that in an auction notes.

I wonder if you will leave him Negative FB?

What countries to avoid selling to in Europe. I recall something about not selling to France and especially Italy do to some laws that let them dispute and refund international Paypal charges without cause, anyone know???

yes i'm agree , never sell to France except with Cryptkeeper59 :grin: