• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.20.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

282 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

76 posts in this topic

I can't believe Ditko beat Joe Kubert!!!!

Really look at this! Is that really the second best artist from the silver age. Okay, I'll get over losing my binky. But without Spider-Man Ditko would have been gone about a month ago.

1820_3.JPG

I like it (shrug)

Captain Atom's left fist looks as big as his head.

As I often do, I feel compelled to mention that residual honors should go to Joe Sinnott for making Kirby look better than he ever looked, with his supportive and outstanding inking of the King's pencils in the mid to late sixties. The vast difference in how Jack's work looked while teamed with various inkers is still striking.

I think Kirby upped his game, his attention to detail and his page layout, when he saw how good Sinnott made his work look. Think of Kirby as the dominant center being fed the ball by Sinnott - the feisty point guard, and slamming it home.

Sporty Red

As I often do, I feel compelled to mention that residual honors should go to Joe Sinnott for making Kirby look better than he ever looked, with his supportive and outstanding inking of the King's pencils in the mid to late sixties. The vast difference in how Jack's work looked while teamed with various inkers is still striking.

I think Kirby upped his game, his attention to detail and his page layout, when he saw how good Sinnott made his work look. Think of Kirby as the dominant center being fed the ball by Sinnott - the feisty point guard, and slamming it home.

Sporty Red

Good call, Brad. Kirby/Sinnott is definitely what I think of when I think "Kirby".

Kirby in a landslide, as it should be. Before I could read I was entranced by those prehero monsters, and my love of his work has grown over the years.

Props to Sturdy Steve for second place, and if he'd lasted as long on Spidey as JK did on Fantastic Four this might have been a much closer race.

A big congratulations is in order to the Watcher for running another great Artists series. This one was more interesting for me than the GA one because I don't collect GA books. The Bronze Age one should be really good.

And we have a winner: Jack Kirby!!!!!

party-smiley-020.gif

BananaRow.gif

woohoonaner2gy.gif

May the King rule forever! Thanks to everyone that participated over these 20 rounds. I had a blast putting it all together and watching it flourish. Next up, BA Artist Survivor Series. Stay tuned...

Angelo

A big congratulations is in order to the Watcher for running another great Artists series. This one was more interesting for me than the GA one because I don't collect GA books. The Bronze Age one should be really good.

Ditto. Massive thanks to Angelo for running this, which had to be the smoothest running Survivor contest thus far.

:acclaim: Thanks for the kind words. Trust me, it was my pleasure. My main goal was to expose others to some great art they may not have seen before, including myself. I also learned quite a bit from this series that'll (hopefully) make the BA one run even smoother.

:acclaim: Thanks for the kind words. Trust me, it was my pleasure. My main goal was to expose others to some great art they may not have seen before, including myself. I also learned quite a bit from this series that'll (hopefully) make the BA one run even smoother.

:shy: BA = Boring Age? :shy:

(tsk) Now, now. Let's not start before the series gets going.

(tsk) Now, now. Let's not start before the series gets going.

Since it's focusing on art, "art is eternal". Shouldn't matter the Age to appreciate it. (Unless it's a Rob Liefield Retrospective... :devil: Sorry, I couldn't resist. )

It may not be the best age, but it's got some bright spots that we can bring to light...

Some of us grew up in the BA and will always have a special place in our hearts for the stories and art from this period, even if we don't actively collect books from that period now because it doesn't pose enough of a challenge.

I think some of the top artists from the BA could more than hold their own in an All-time Artist Survivor Series.

let's face it: Adams owns BA. But who are the best supporting acts? Now that'll be interesting to me!

I think there were quite a few good artists in the BA. Off the top of my head, I think the rest of the Top 5 would be (in no particular order):

Wrightson

Windsor-Smith (or just plain Smith as he was known back then)

Byrne

toss-up between Steranko and Starlin

Other notables:

Brunner

Ploog

Buscema (yes, I'm actually saying something nice about John Buscema)

Grell

Swan

Gulacy

Cockrum

Buckler

Kubert

Romita Sr

Kane (mostly for his covers)

Kirby (I think his writing on the 4th World books sucked the big one, but his art in many of the issues was excellent)