• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Omnibus

18 posts in this topic

i’m under the impression the Marvel Omnibus books have the complete comics including advertisements. also that they we’re printed on a paper that looks and feels like old comic book paper.

can someone fill me in before i buy one? can someone take an interior pic and post it?

thanks

i’m under the impression the Marvel Omnibus books have the complete comics including advertisements. also that they we’re printed on a paper that looks and feels like old comic book paper.

can someone fill me in before i buy one? can someone take an interior pic and post it?

thanks

I have the ASM Omnibus. They have the letters page and no advertisements. (thumbs u

I will see if I can get a picture up shortly.

The Captain America Omnibus that was released for the modern series does not contain the ads nor the letter pages. It does however, include material from the Marvel Spotlight Edition, interviews, concept art, unused covers and character profiles. The pages are also slightly oversized when compared to the regular issues.

Pages are really white and colours are very bright. It does not recapture the look or feel of a vintage comic book. Too bad. Still makes old readers (when affordable) the best bet to recreate the feeling of reading way back then.

My 12¢

Dennis

I have them all & have really loved reading them. As has been mentioned, most of them reprint the letter columns (Daredevil doesn't for some reason), but none include the ads. The paper does not have the "vintage" feel, but is thick, high-quality paper. I love the over-size format too!

For someone collecting them is it just me or have they really started jacking the prices up on them?.. I thought that they use to be cheaper but looking in previews they are all in the $100 + range now :S

Anyways if you can get them for a decent price they are well worth owning if you have not read the series before or would just like them in a nice newer format in a nice looking easy handy to ready hard cover :)

Nope, the first ones (FF #1 & Uncanny #1) retailed at $100 like most of the new ones. You can find some pretty good discounts at places like dcbservice.com that offer almost all the new Vol. 1 at 50% off cover. There have been a few (Alias Eternals, Amazing Fantasy) retailing at $75. They even released a fun Devil Dinosaur Omni at $30. Marvel did just go back to press on FF #1, Uncanny #1, and Spidey #1 so it's definitely possible for New X-Men to go back to press sometime in the future. Unfortunately, there have been no more back to press announcements. I believe Alias and Eternals are also sold out and fetch large sums on eBay.

-Bob

This may be an odd question, but what would make Marvel decide to print a Devil Dinasour omnibus? Has the title somehow gained cult status or something? It just seems to me that there are so many more popular titles for them to choose from.

You'll be happy to know that they're doing a Howard the Duck Omnibus early next year. lol I'm not sure what their criteria is for putting these out.

I have the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus in front of me. The pages are white, heavy and slick, the colours are bright. There are no ads. The "short fiction" is in there as are the contents pages. There are "fan pages" (letters pages). There are a few extras reprinting originals in the back of the book.

It was expensive (I think it cost me $65 Canadian) but I have seen it go for less on ebay, even when postage is factored in.

I can afford to chase down the back issues but it would take years and I would rather put the money to other things. What surprised me is that I didn't much like the stories. Maybe it was the dosage. I always enjoy the little tales in the back of early Marvel superhero comics. I even like the reprint titles like "Monsters on the Prowl". However 15 issues end to end of well constructed but very childish short stories with twist endings drawn by Ditko or Kirby showing the least of their abilities didn't do a lot for me.

Like Woody Allen, Kurt Vonnegut, Bob Dylan and other genius popular artists, the genius shines through here and there even when they are doing inferior work. However it was not worth waiting through the nonsense of Amazing Adult Fantasy to notice the tiny, little, hidden gems.

Some of Marvel's choices do seem pretty strange lol My guess is that Marvel is looking to put out anything Kirby which gave Devil Dinosaur a lot of support. I really have no clue about the Howard the Duck Omnibus... there is a new miniseries but wouldn't they want to release the omnibus BEFORE the new series? Good ole Marvel :insane:

The highest priced Omnis have been $100, and there have been complaints that some of those volumes were too big. Hopefully that's the highest price we'll see.

-Bob