• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What genre is best poised for a comeback (price wise)?

comeback  

306 members have voted

1. 1. comeback

42 posts in this topic

We all know its all about the superheroes these days. Prices on almost everything else are stagnant or dropping (in general).

But will any of the non-superhero genres ever make a comeback in a major way with the public, with a long series of price escalations due to increased demand?

Vote now.

What category below has the best chance of making a "comeback" with a series of large price increases across the board?

I voted for the pre-FF Marvels. It just seems like those pre-hero stories are ripe for the picking, and I think that the Masterworks reprints of these have sold well. Stuff like Goom and Tim-Boom-Ba (sp?) is just too good and campy.

I took this option also.

One I would have selected if it had been a choice is Non-Timley or DC Golden Age superhero.

I forgot to include "WAR" as a choice in the poll. Anyone want to vote for war?

War is currently enjoying a VERY strong comeback. A lot of 10 cent and early 12 cent war books, especially greytones, are bringing 3-5x guide or more. They don't have to be high grade either.

I created the poll and voted for HORROR myself. I think horror is unlike some other categories, because the category is sort of timeless. For the last 100 years there has been a demand for horror themed books, movies, posters, comics, toys, etc. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Horror fans are fans of the horror genre in general. They watch the movies and I think some of them will always be collectors of horror memorabilia, and one of the things they will always want are horror movie posters and horror comics.

The rarest 1931 Frankenstein movie poster is valued at over $1 million (easily). In that sense, I think some of the more rare horror comics have room for price growth. And it never hurts that the horror comics had some of the best artists ever to work in the comics field.

I think horror will see a lot more price growth in the next 20 years than many of the other things on the list like western, funny animal, etc.

I'm going with the non-option of war comics.

Interestingly, DC now has at least three western or western-ish comics going: Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, and Loveless. There's also Scalped, which more of a modern western. Horror also seems to be going strong with Walking Dead and the rest of the shambling zombie horde.

Frankly, the business could use fewer superheros and more diversity in genres.

I picked GA non superhero. I chose this option mostly because I'm planning on buying a few myself this coming year (probably a couple Planet Comics or Startling Comics), and it seems like everytime I start to collect something, prices for the books double or triple what they were when I first decided to collect them.

Even though several people picked Horror comics, I actually think prices for those books are very strong now and have been for a few years. War is the same way. I think both those genres have a very strong niche market that isn't likely to slow down any time soon.

By the way, I think you need an option for mid-grade drek from any era or genre, cause that's most of what I have and I'd like to see it skyrocket in value. :insane:

I created the poll and voted for HORROR myself. I think horror is unlike some other categories, because the category is sort of timeless. For the last 100 years there has been a demand for horror themed books, movies, posters, comics, toys, etc. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Horror fans are fans of the horror genre in general. They watch the movies and I think some of them will always be collectors of horror memorabilia, and one of the things they will always want are horror movie posters and horror comics.

The rarest 1931 Frankenstein movie poster is valued at over $1 million (easily). In that sense, I think some of the more rare horror comics have room for price growth. And it never hurts that the horror comics had some of the best artists ever to work in the comics field.

I think horror will see a lot more price growth in the next 20 years than many of the other things on the list like western, funny animal, etc.

Ditto. I voted Horror. I might like War or Atlas better on 4 out of 5 days, but I went with Horror because thats the answer the question demanded. Of course there is plenty of Horror/Sci-Fi stuff in pre-hero Atlas as well as horror war books like Weird War. Overlap & genre mixing is fun, especially around Christmas time.

I'm shocked to think that horror will make a comeback. Horror was dead in the water until a few years ago, then it took off like fire and seems to have now plateau'd.

I'd have to say that pre hero Marvels are easily the most affordable and undervalued books out there. They are impossible above VF, read and loved back in the day, have great stories and art out there and are still available cheaper than most bronze books.

Non Superhero GA books would have to pull a close 2nd. Heck you can still pick up NM books from the 40's for cheaper than most 60's SA books. I don't get it.

R.