• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What genre is best poised for a comeback (price wise)?

comeback  

306 members have voted

1. 1. comeback

42 posts in this topic

Currently HG Silver and Bronze Romance seems to be selling quite well...

Jim

Yeah, greggy and cd4ever have cornered the market.

lol

Jim

lol

Actually, it's not just them. Recent eBay sales on HG DC/Marvel Romance have been way over guide with neither of them a factor in the majority of winning bids...

Jim

Jim

lol

:signfunny:

...hopefully not each other.

:sick:

Romance because of the good girl art and "lost in time" cheesy covers, and pre-superhero Marvel because there's so many Marvelites out there to whom it would be a natural progression to extend their collections back a little.

Archies also continue to be overlooked despite the fact that high grade copies of older ones never appear to surface. I've never seen a high grade Pep or Laugh from the early sixties with the Fly or Jaguar stories.

Jim

lol

I <3 him like a sister.

Jim

lol

I <3 him like a sister.

:sick: :sick:

Well at least we know who the man is. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

R.

(thumbs u

I forgot to include "WAR" as a choice in the poll. Anyone want to vote for war?

War is already enjoying a lift, as Andy already mentioned.

Horror has had its ups and downs. Both precode and BA horror are both in a lull but have enjoyed some jolts in the last few years. Prices have steadily declined (I know--that's my primary interest) so I think they have room to re-gain momentum lost.

BA Westerns are "holding steady", although the resurgence of Jonah Hex is peaking interest in the first series. I don't know how much pre-BA interest there will be long term; I personally have no interest pre-BA.

Sci Fi is basically saying you enjoy the campy DC titles during the Silver Age. Those are hit and miss and will continue to be so.

I think if Romance (Bronze especially) shows up in high grade you will see some VERY interesting prices.

I'm sure everything you've listed will have its peaks and valleys...really depends on collectors in a given market.

I'm hoping that good girl art GA books don't increase in value, so I can pick-up a few more issues, and upgrade some of my lower grade ones. :grin:

I'm hoping that Skybolt gets his wish.

I created the poll and voted for HORROR myself. I think horror is unlike some other categories, because the category is sort of timeless. For the last 100 years there has been a demand for horror themed books, movies, posters, comics, toys, etc. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Horror fans are fans of the horror genre in general. They watch the movies and I think some of them will always be collectors of horror memorabilia, and one of the things they will always want are horror movie posters and horror comics.

The rarest 1931 Frankenstein movie poster is valued at over $1 million (easily). In that sense, I think some of the more rare horror comics have room for price growth. And it never hurts that the horror comics had some of the best artists ever to work in the comics field.

I think horror will see a lot more price growth in the next 20 years than many of the other things on the list like western, funny animal, etc.

There's a large body of studies related to society and culture strongly paralleling the state of the economy. Since there is a growing body of economists and signs that we are entering a recession, horror is the type of theme that does very well in that environment.

Think of the 70s, stagflation, high gas/oil prices. Horror was very in back then.

As is then, so is now. 2c.

I created the poll and voted for HORROR myself. I think horror is unlike some other categories, because the category is sort of timeless. For the last 100 years there has been a demand for horror themed books, movies, posters, comics, toys, etc. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Horror fans are fans of the horror genre in general. They watch the movies and I think some of them will always be collectors of horror memorabilia, and one of the things they will always want are horror movie posters and horror comics.

The rarest 1931 Frankenstein movie poster is valued at over $1 million (easily). In that sense, I think some of the more rare horror comics have room for price growth. And it never hurts that the horror comics had some of the best artists ever to work in the comics field.

I think horror will see a lot more price growth in the next 20 years than many of the other things on the list like western, funny animal, etc.

There's a large body of studies related to society and culture strongly paralleling the state of the economy. Since there is a growing body of economists and signs that we are entering a recession, horror is the type of theme that does very well in that environment.

Think of the 70s, stagflation, high gas/oil prices. Horror was very in back then.

As is then, so is now. 2c.

I don't believe this is the case now. Just this evening I saw on the news that "polls" are showing that people have spent more during Christmas this year than ever before and are still planning on spending more!

I'm no economist mind you, but I am seeing a lot of higher dollar purchases being made across the board.

Shoot... I know I've spent more this year even though I intended on not doing so.

The economy isn't in the crapper nearly as much as people think or if it is... spending money and having what people call a "good Christmas" makes them feel better about their stasis in life for when times are bad.

It will all even out in the end is most people's thinking.

what will tend to pop, is what always does. Look to see what contains quality material and has been ignored for years. Being ignored is the key factor because that keeps price down. People see low priced books, find out they are cool, talk about what they have been buying to others, they get hooked, etc. That is why BA horror popped a few years ago, it was awesome, & nearly uniformly ignored. Thats why war is popping now, great books, under the radar. So what is next? I honestly don't know, here are some things I think are under-appreciated & generally cheap right now:

Pre - Code horror - Has been selling really low lately, yet this genre contains countless great examples of comic art and genuinely difficult to find books. Of course I am going by current sales value here, not guide.

GA Funny Animal - CHEAP AS DIRT, no one cares, awesome books. There are 2 different areas of awesomeness here -

Anything DC did - A 40's DC comic in Fine for $20 that has a great cover & is fun to read, there is no way to loose there for pure enjoyment. Historically interesting and far cooler than most people give them credit for. Will they ever go up, I don't know, but they certainly fit the ignored category.

Secondly for Funny Animals It's Genre/Character/ Whack-O covers. There were a ton of Funny Animal comics produced. Many have really great covers. Theme covers, parody, classic characters, you name it. If it stands out, all it takes is showing it to someone else, and they want it to. Never underestimate the power of Holiday covers to non comics holiday collectors.

Prime Cover Archie from any era - If it's a great example of why Archie can be cool, and is in decent shape, again, how can you go wrong. Archie has always been the mirrror to Society as the run chugged on through the years. Archie is long running and iconic. Some covers/ stories just capture what makes it all great.

Early DC Silver - Any Genre. Great cover design, eye popping covers, relative scarcity & part of the glorious history of 70 odd years of DC comics. Right now, except high grade superhero from the era, not selling anywhere near potential.

The Copper Classic covers. This is a high grade only game, but there are SO many undiscovered gems out there in terms of wonderful cover art by people like Art Adams, Zeck, Miller, Sienkiwicz, etc. Try finding some of the better Moon Knight covers in 9.8.

Sexual Innuendo Covers - We all giggle at them , we all find them ironically hilarious. I know of only 1 Alf issue anyone would want in there collection, and it sure isn't #1! These are the sort of books anyone in our "Ironic" society would love to show his friends for a good laugh. Comic Collector or not. I have shown Rifleman #10 to a score of people, and many of them are trying to find a copy for themselves, and they don't collect comics. Betty & me #16 is another biggie.

That's my thought for right now.