• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Box 12 Centers...

124 posts in this topic

Killer!

I like the Superman covers from this era a lot more than the Batman covers.

I didn't realize there weren't more Big Box 12 centers in my Flickr account, but I'll show what I got:

412599497_670fcd8fdc_o.jpg

And I didn't realize how good the Big Box 12 era was for DC covers.

That's my favorite JLA cover.

354305160_70813a00fc_o.jpg

That's one of my favorite JLA "new member" stories.

218611916_b69cef44a0_o.jpg

One of my favorite Green Lantern covers (the gray-tone lizard is better -- but it looks like Gil Kane enjoyed showing off Star Sapphire here).

82272598_ca2c559ec2_o.jpg

And my favorite early DC crossover! Top 5 Adam Strange cover too.

Great books!

Jack

I don't think anyone will beat me to these two.

First, from the forgotten back-alleys of the Silver Age, a DC celebrity humor book, Adventures of Jerry Lewis 72.

49798-Jerry72.jpg

Not just any copy! The freshly received skypinkblu Pedigree copy! You can easily identify this pedigree because of the helpful notes to the novice reader. The gentleman on the right (obviously drawn by Mort Drucker) is identified as "Bobby", and the attractive young lady on the left is tentatively identified as A. G., but she may be "Too good looling". The area that raises the doubt is obligingly highlighted so no one misses it.

From the same batch, Blackhawk 169 with our favorite aviators apparently stumbling across the War that Time Forgot from Star Spangled War Stories. Nice purple monster! Too bad about the scissor cut that got snagged on the right edge.

49797-BH169.jpg

Finally, the inside front cover of Blackhawk 169 explaining to the boys and girls why they had to fork over another two pennies for their DC fix starting this month.

49796-12cent.jpg

Jack

based on this run it looks like the Big Box 12 centers ran for about 1 year. they were preceded by the Big Box 10 centers.

Jack I remember reading reading that letter about the increase in an old book at my cousin's house. A few years when they raised the price to 15 cents they put in the same letter word for word except for a few changes in the prices that they were using to justify the 25% price increase. It did not work for me and I gave up comics about a year after that increase.

adv293.jpg

adv294.jpg

adv299.jpg

adv300.jpg

adv301.jpg

adv302.jpg

adv303.jpg

Show-off!! (one of the B&B I just mentioned on the other 12¢ thread)

:sorry:

Only 12 cent big box in my Photobucket. I don't suppose it helps that it's the WM copy?

Only 12 cent big box in my Photobucket. I don't suppose it helps that it's the WM copy?

No, there's no hand written year on the FC :(

Has the datestamp on the first page. :headbang:

Got a scan? Never seen one of those. :(

Got a scan? Never seen one of those. :(

Nope. Sometimes it's a datestamp and sometimes it's a handwritten date -- this is a pretty uniform characteristic of the WM copies from GA - SA. I might try this weekend but it's a bit awkward to scan a page of a high grade book (i don't have a digital camera).