• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Young Allies #14 NM- 9.2 Off-White "D" Copy?

15 posts in this topic

Pedigree has this one for sale. link

What does "D" Copy mean?

the "D" was used to designate the Davis Crippin pedigree before we knew it was the Davis Crippin ped (due to the initial "D" marked in the books, along with an interesting coded identification system)...

these books were sold years before the majority of the collection was found, and the owner was identified...

gator

Yup. It was a great find in Montreal, Quebec. There is a great back story to the collection as well. It seems that the mega keys and early books to the collection were stolen by construction workers that were renovating Crippen's home years ago and if I remember correctly there were some BSD's who saw the books as they were shopped around. It was all over the news here in Canada a couple of years ago. Reading up on it may be quite entertaining.

R.

Yup. It was a great find in Montreal, Quebec
:screwy::roflmao:

Ok, you're right. I don't know where that Montreal thing came up from. My bad. It was NY wasn't it?

Soooo much Vodka so little time.

:sick:

Ok, you're right. I don't know where that Montreal thing came up from. My bad. It was NY wasn't it?

Guy's son works there now :sumo:

They also seem to get crazy high grades from CGC despite nasty foxing and a general dullness.

This applies to some of the large batch that went through Heritage, but most of the original batch that came out through Metropolis were incredibly bright and beautiful. Most of the Timelys were in the original grouping.

They also seem to get crazy high grades from CGC despite nasty foxing and a general dullness.

This applies to some of the large batch that went through Heritage, but most of the original batch that came out through Metropolis were incredibly bright and beautiful. Most of the Timelys were in the original grouping.

I own several of the Crippens that went through Heritage and let me tell you, foxing and lack of cover appeal are not a certainty in the collection.

I own several of the Crippens that went through Heritage and let me tell you, foxing and lack of cover appeal are not a certainty in the collection.

Agreed. I believe that, while there are some beautiful books, the Crippens were given pedigree status more for the size and scope of the collection. Unlike other pedigree collections there is not a uniformity of grade. There are high grades and low grades for a variety of reasons. Other than the coding one would have a hard time pointing out a distinguishing trait.

Why is that? Did the additional 10 years in Davis` garage make that much of a difference to the state of preservation of the books? Or were these construction workers able to go through the boxes and boxes of comics and somehow cherrypick the nicest preserved books for the original batch?

Why is that? Did the additional 10 years in Davis` garage make that much of a difference to the state of preservation of the books? Or were these construction workers able to go through the boxes and boxes of comics and somehow cherrypick the nicest preserved books for the original batch?

Or could they have just grabbed a box that wasn't exposed to as much moisture because it was on top of a stack instead of on the bottom next to the damp concrete? Or could the whole collection have moved from one area of storage to another in the intervening years? Or was someone telling someone else exactly which books they wanted, and/or returning the rejects? It would sure be interesting to find the answers.

This was why I used the Montreal reference.

So greggy..

:P