• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone heard of CollectibleswithCauses.org?

25 posts in this topic

I'm starting a charity called goldenageactions&schomburgwarcovers4kids.

Please send submissions immediately to Box 622, Newport Beach, CA 92661.

You know...for kids! (thumbs u

:applause: Deprived kids love those Schomburg war covers! A thing like that could really make their day. Good for you!

Extremely legit.

Sorry that you were unable to receive any intelligent answers to your question...

Yes, there are ads on Craigslist and other free ad sites.

The policy being that spending excessive funds on advertising is an enormous abuse of the public's trust. Expensive ad campaigns do not feed, shelter or clothe anyone.

Too bad the other commentors do not get that part. While operating at approx 8-10% overhead every month we return a greater portion of revenue to the communities in which we serve than 95% of other charities.

No, we do not give comics and collectibles to children. They are treated as a valuable asset that can create much needed revenue for charitable programs.

A good way to look into any Organization would be to look online for actual valid complaints, not "I've seen them on Craigslist and they are a scam?" That is one step below idiotic.

A lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing and to make statements out of ignorance serves no one.

Collectibles with Causes is run by Works of Life Intl. Ministries and we run several other funding programs that serve both individuals and other like minded organizations such as the Muscular Distrophy Association, The Wounded Warrior project and educational programs such as Guitars in the Classroom.

We are almost entirely volunteer and this includes ALL board members and the executive Director of the program.

If you would like some real answers to your questions, try contacting us personally and we will provide you with everything you need to verify the validity of our program, purpose and operations.

Take care...

Wow, that was some response. I am not writing this to start a problem and I am sure that you take your organizations reputation very seriously.

With that said, I find a defending post citing Works of Life Intl. Ministries and the statement, "That is one step below idiotic" describing a comment to be a bit offensive.

Just my two cents, but insulting folks wouldn't seem like a good way to garner donations.

Wow, that was some response. I am not writing this to start a problem and I am sure that you take your organizations reputation very seriously.

With that said, I find a defending post citing Works of Life Intl. Ministries and the statement, "That is one step below idiotic" describing a comment to be a bit offensive.

Just my two cents, but insulting folks wouldn't seem like a good way to garner donations.

Don't worry Almoe, it's not just you. Working in charity is all about public image and presentation considering you're asking people to give their hard-earned money away. There are some good points this person brings up, but in presenting them in a way that comes across in a fashion that feels both slightly defensive and aggressive, the initial point is undercut.

Lesson to be learned: you'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

Don't worry Almoe, it's not just you. Working in charity is all about public image and presentation considering you're asking people to give their hard-earned money away. There are some good points this person brings up, but in presenting them in a way that comes across in a fashion that feels both slightly defensive and aggressive, the initial point is undercut.

Lesson to be learned: you'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

I would add heavy-handed and condescending - a total turn off, and definitely sways one from making in any potential future donations.

This is one tough charity to find any information about.

GuideStar doesn't list them among the 1.7 million verified non-profits and the only information I can find seems to come from the Collectibles with Causes folks soliciting donations. I can't find any complaints or any info on them helping folks.

Withcauses: Got a tax ID number you can share?

A good way to look into any Organization would be to look online for actual valid complaints, not "I've seen them on Craigslist and they are a scam?" That is one step below idiotic.

Prior to posting here, I sent you an e-mail and didn't hear anything back, and your web site was not very informative regarding your tax exempt status. Since I didn't get a response, I did what any careful person would do and research your organization through the IRS Publication 78, a Cumulative List of Organizations described in Section 170© of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, which is a list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions...and I found nothing.

After reading your above post, I also searched for Works of Life International Ministries and didn't find anything there either.

Anyone who wants to try a search can do so HERE.

Can you shed any light on your status with the IRS as an organization authorized to receive tax deductible contributions?

It's easier to get in touch with me and donate to the Hero Initiative and help support the people who have very little food, no where to live, medical bills they can't pay, etc. This is not to say that other charities are not deserving, but I feel the H.I. is a very legitmate cause. That is why myself and many people (Low & high profile) in our hobby give much time, money, and physical donations to the H.I.; we believe in giving back to those that helped us get enjoyment and, in many cases, employment or money making opportunities, from their hard work when they were paid close to nothing and without medical benefits.

Hey, I gotta promote what I beleive in. :grin:

Oh, and you can see how legit we are at www.heroinitiative.org

There are certain filing requirements for any charitable organization. The IRS's %2Cid%3D96136%2C00.html'>Publication 78 is very useful in finding out if you can write off a contribution to a certain charity. I'd find it hard to believe that any large charity would not be listed in Publication 78.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have about 15 long boxes of stuff from the late 80's and on, mostly dollar book stuff but some books in there that would go for more. I want to donate the books to charity for the tax write off. I stumbled on Collectibles with Causes but this thread has me rethinking giving the books to them.

Does anyone have any success or recommendations for donating a large amount of low value books to charity (legit IRS recognized)? Any specific insights to Chicago area charities?

Appreciate the help.

I pretty much distrust all charities. There's plenty of ways to give needy persons money directly. Why have some middle man?

If you google you'll see one of the main signs of scams of all kinds is 'testimonials'.

NO NO NO I say

Very shady. I've never come across a charity that give you a 3 day Bahamas vacation for donating.

Then you have not looked very far. Many charities offer these coupons in return for donations. Big Brothers does, as well as others. I know nothing about this particular charity, but these giveaways are quite common. The last bike ride I worked with had ten of these certificates that were raffled off amongst the riders.

Here is another example

http://www.kars4kids.org/vacation-voucher.asp

Edited by shadroch