• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMPORTANT POST TO CGC WAS NOT ANSWERED BY THEM

66 posts in this topic

I did not attack CI! I thanked him for his input tongue.gif

Who said that you should get your books cleaned?? I stated that it should not be considered restoration as there was nothing added to the book!

I don't endorse people to go out and clean there books!

A comic that had a potential stain or foriegn substance on the cover should be taken off to preseve it if the owner chooses to do so.

You really don't get it do you? This is not about your question at all. What it is about is the fact that you started this thread in a totally confrontational manner. When people replied in a confrontational manner, you pouted. When people no longer wanted to answer your question, you pouted. When people pointed out the fact that the tone of your post to CGC was confrontational, you pouted.

I can assure you that people are not going to walk on eggshells because ablue is in the room. If you do not want people to respond to your posts with a confrontational tone, then don't post that way. If this doesn't sink in then I give up.

Phil

I am sorry. It was my intention to do that

The above statement is exactly what Flying Donut is referring to in your posts. It was your intention to offend people? If so, then you're fine. If not, proofreading your post would have caught the misuse of the error.

Just some helpful advice.

As is sometimes my want - not responding to anyone in particular. But some observations:

1) Cleaning is restoration. It is an artificial process applied to the book. But - and a big but - as with the Church collection, the best quality books were found at/near the botom of very tall and heavy stacks. The books had been compressed and air was not allowed to reach them, keeping their page and ink quality pristine. In the world of comics, this is definitely an abnormal condition. One method of pressing is simply to place the book in a book press. The press applies pressure to the book and over time flattens it. Very similar to the Chucrch books that go for multiples of guide. Now the pressing will not remove already inherited airborn etc defects like tanning pages etc. But the simple act of applying pressure to a book in a studio environment and applying it with a stack? Same thing to me.

2) As far as CGC goes: they seem all over the map as far as restoration goes. Qualified Label. Restored Label. Blue Label. All for books with some measure of restoration. What they heck?

Right now restoration has gone by the wayside. It used to be accepted, with "name" restorers adding more to the restored value (usually, and rightly, less than the unrestored counterparts).

But to just blanket it all as "it is restoration - end of story" is like saying "a book with a 1/4" tear is "ripped - end of story. A ripped book should not receive xyz grade."

There are degrees of most things, restoration included. There WILL come a time when perceptions shift again, and restoration like cleaning and pressing will receive their own categories, and be much more accepted. But not now. Now is the time for the hoarded high grade 60's books that are far more common than many think to receive the attention. But in a few years, when the censuses start showing so many of these books in 9.4/9.6+ grades, things will shift again (if we still have a market). And they will shift again. And again.

Regardless of where we are right now, we will not be there a few years from now.

My take... the use of the word 'found'... my impression of the mile high collection wasn't to preserve the bottom half of the stack because they were more 'important'... they just happened to be there. My requirements regarding restoration... don't clean it, don't add to it and please oh please don't act like either of these deliberate actions are as arbitrary as the comics previous life. It's obviously preciously pre-meditated and until cgc's recent ability to disclose, hidden. Quite simply, give me the books actual life, not the way you'd have liked to have found it at the bottom of the pile. For beautiful pictures I have the internet. Dano.

CGC does delineate the types of restoration right now, and their choice of six different terms applicable to Purple labels,

Professional: slight, moderate, extensive

Amateur: slight, moderate, extensive

has a major effect on the type of bid amounts the books draw on Ebay or Heritage auctions, as does the type of work performed from the most minor applications of alteration to the more severe types:

staple idiosynchoses

cleaning & pressing

mended tear

color touch

spine reinforcement

pieces added

The greatest source of confusion in my opinion appears to be the dichotomies of green labels. I've seen many green labels that bear the same grader's notes as blue labels, although the number/letter assigned is vastly different for the same problem inherent, shared by different books. For instance:

Spiderman 6 CGC 8.0 Green "page missing"

Spiderman 6 CGC 0.5 Blue "page missing"

yet BOTH books having an almost identical outward VF appearance, and having a resultant auction price that were VERY similar, although both books were assessed 15 grade ticks apart.

If ANYTHING, this appears far more confusing than CGCs affectual applications on purple labels, which seem very concise to me.

If I did offend anyone by the tone of my post I am sorry. It was my intention to do that. But there are some posters that I feel posted just as rude or worse.

This is where I fall into the picture tongue.gif I'm rude and crude but have really offended you, ablue, when all is send and done.

Cleaning is a form of restoration as it RESTORES comic to its original state. Can CGC note 100% of the time that cleaning has occurred. You can bet they have good reason to note such on the label, maybe residue from the chemical wash or eraser residue. Sometimes if you try to erase stray pen/pencil marks the indentation is still there and easily noticeable to an amateur grader like myself . In CI's camps, I also would fall into camp 2, where I don't know books' origins and CGC says it's restored and I'd side with them.

But you know, ablue, you and other members could totally avoide the restored issue by buying my high priced overgraded MODERNS that I use to CON people in collaboration with CGC...little green monster pops up everywhere...some folks are just not man enough to admit it...

But you know, ablue, you and other members could totally avoide the restored issue by buying my high priced overgraded MODERNS that I use to CON people in collaboration with CGC...little green monster pops up everywhere...some folks are just not man enough to admit it...

Maybe I deserve this for trying to foist my business ethics on others, but there is no way in hell I am envious of your ability to sell CGC 10.0 Moderns to the unwashed masses.

And you can take that to the bank! grin.gif

I was going through some of my Byrne X-Men's for potential CGC submission and started to feel guilty about what they may bring on the open market. The only reason I'm sending 10-15 in is that these issues have had a 20+ year track record for valuation and high demand, which makes me feel like I'm on somewhat-solid ground by selling/trading them.

EXACTLY C.I.!! Sell them NOW. Before the Modern buying public undergoes a "Mass Consciousness" and becomes suddenly aware that many of these $100+ books were bargain box "cannon-fodder" in pre-slabbing times, much in the same manner as the "awakening" in the 70's and up Sportscard market. Collectors were paying $100, $250, $500 and up for "Hot" cards, based more on still active, everyday player's daily performances (50% of which you can't GIVE away in today's marketplace), instead of Vintage, RARE, blue chip cards , FOR THE SAME PRICE, of Cobb, Ruth, Musial, Spahn, Koufax, Clemente, Mays, etc., that have accrued in value tremendously.

Maybe I deserve this for trying to foist my business ethics on others, but there is no way in hell I am envious of your ability to sell CGC 10.0 Moderns to the unwashed masses.

Statement applied and directed to ablue...but if the shoe fits wink.gif