• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it so difficult to maintain Focus?

47 posts in this topic

What do you do when you see a comic that is really cool, that you would love to have...at that moment (and you don't know you'll feel differently a week later).

I research it to death!

Seriously, I'll go to the library and see if I can find it in a collected edition, or I'll do similar research at one of my two LCS.

I'll also see if I can find pages, reviews, creator info online.

If, after all of that, I still want the book, then I'll put it on the want list.

The only time I was even the least bit focused was when I was getting to the end of my Wonder Woman and Sensation runs...and I really didn't like the feeling...I was chasing 2 books and driving myself crazy, paid way more than I normally would...

So, I'm back to being unfocused, I love it...I am NOT a completist..normally (as Gator can attest), I just pick covers I like, books I like ...books that I think are well priced, and I am always finding new series that are very interesting.

Recently, I bought a few books for my Superboy Run...(thanks Brent!) and there I was, with just a FEW that I needed to complete the run, then I realized, I had never bought those books because...well, the covers were not my favorites...but thankfully, I've turned myself around and I am NOT chasing the last few:)

I am just going to buy books I like,with covers I like that interest me, that have decent prices...I'll never have a Marvel Mystery complete run, it just is not going to happen...but I'll have a few of that title, a few Blonde Phantoms...a few HT books...and then, lately,, I've discovered Centaurs, and Fox and all kinds of wonderful old things I'd never seen before...so...focuss be damned or Spooned:) Just have fun! :acclaim:

Basically, we all know we need discipline. But, not all of us have the willpower to stick to it. I suppose on the positive side, most of us would have a serious crack problem if it weren't for comics. (Note to my employer :jokealert: )

Since I've turned mostly to GA, this is tough since the comics I'm looking for don't show up too often. There are a lot of great suggestions here. I'm starting to lean towards keys and cool covers. I know those are something I would be proud to show off.

Perhaps that is my new criteria...would I be proud to show it off?

How do we get distracted? Easy. There are lots of pretty books out there. And nostalgic books. And key books. And pretty books. Did I say that already? And books to fill runs. Was that a broken neck cover EC? Can't focus right now. Time to take my ritalin.

Staying focused is simple. I collect Batman, Detective, and covers I consider "classic". The Batman and Detective is simple, I only buy Batman and Detective titles. For the classic covers, I made a list about ten years ago and I only buy off that list, PERIOD. I don't deviate, I don't stray. This approached has worked for me very well for ten years.

Do you grade restrict in any way? Because if not, then it can make it much easier to collect those titles. There are over 1000 of them combined :banana:

We me being a high-end collector, it significantly lowers the pool i can choose from.

Arex

I vary the grade based on the age but try to stay 7.0 or higher on the Batman, especially since I am just upgrading now, and for classic covers, it depends on how easy they are to find. For example I waited for quite a while to get a Captain Midnight in 9.2 because the title is not too popular but for Mystery Men 3, I took the first somewhat affordable copy I could find. I snagged a 4.5 More Fun 65 because it was the first decent shape copy I had seen in quite a few years of collecting.

do what I do and just don't buy. I have maybe spend $50 on comics here this year, quite a bit more on trades and art but still. You get focus by not hitting the sign guy every second.

I finished up my ASM run last year and a few other runs... This year was a lot of impulse buying and out of the hundreds of books and thousands of dollars spent there were only a handful of books that I would consider holding on to. So I went to the LCS shop yesterday and traded away about two hundred medicore books for three great books that I really liked :banana:

I am just going to buy books I like,with covers I like that interest me, that have decent prices...I'll never have a Marvel Mystery complete run, it just is not going to happen...but I'll have a few of that title, a few Blonde Phantoms...a few HT books...and then, lately,, I've discovered Centaurs, and Fox and all kinds of wonderful old things I'd never seen before...so...focuss be damned or Spooned:) Just have fun! :acclaim:

:banana:

The problem is I keep discovering new books/titles/genres on the boards that I want to start collecting. The boards spoil you with all the HG & HTF material that's shown here. If you got collecting ADD, this place ain't the cure.

Funny thing is, I sometimes appreciate the book I buy on a whim more than some in the "plan". Overall, I still want to complete my want list, but there are plenty of times I see a book from my youth or that I forgot I used to own and I buy it.

The problem is I keep discovering new books/titles/genres on the boards that I want to start collecting. The boards spoil you with all the HG & HTF material that's shown here. If you got collecting ADD, this place ain't the cure.

Hear, Hear. :insane:

I just gave a graphic demonstration of Watcher's point (except for the HG part) on the Gold and Silver forums. At least look at the Alex Toth page on the Gold Cigar thread. I would have never touched a Dale Evans comic book if I were focused. Where's the fun in shutting out new and accidental discoveries?

Jack

Staying focused is overrated, and quite simply boring ;)

I have to agree with Nik I only bought Marvels (and Valiants) and now have moved into DCs as well. Provides for a more well rounded collecting and viewing experience.