• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

Great books Beaumonts! You can see Strange Adventures go silly as time went on. By 160 or so the cover themes were getting pretty crazy.

These later issues of Strange Adventures did get alittle wacky, but they are great fun. From a scifi perspective, the stories are still pretty good with outstanding artwork in almost every issue by Anderson, Infantino, Kane and Sid Greene. It was 12 cents well spent. Some of my favorites. All these issues shown were from Murphy Anderson's personal colllection which I picked as a lot from one of the old Sotheby's comic auctions.

STR ADV 138

STR ADV 143

STR ADV 147

STR ADV 149

STR ADV 151

This cover remind you of the TV series "V" ??

STR ADV 154

You gotta love it. How do you even think up a cover like this?

STR ADV 155

STR ADV 156

STR ADV 157

STR ADV 159

This is the last Atomic Knights appearance.

STR ADV 160

STR ADV 161

STR ADV 163

I'm going to have to start collecting the early 12 centers, at least. Those are some classic covers. The 143 is a great greytone, but I really like the 138 dinosaur cover! Great stuff.

Here are a few of my favorite issues of Strange Adventures.

Fantastic giant robot cover by Anderson.

SA_050.jpg

Now this one is really tough to get in nice shape...is it a prototype for Negative Man or the precursor for the SA reappearance of Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt?

SA_54-1.jpg

You cant go wrong with a Washington & Linclon cover...

SA_83.jpg

Dad's an alien!!!

SA_90.jpg

Nice Kane cover.

SA_106.jpg

Maybe Charles VanDoren really saved the Earth from aliens?

SA_111.jpg

Great selection Bill. Maybe its about time to identify or tag some of these issues as prototypes or "precursor" issues (like the ST #54). They would then become more valuable, that would be great (since I have 'em all, hee-hee) :devil:

SA_050.jpg

Now this one is really tough to get in nice shape...is it a prototype for Negative Man or the precursor for the SA reappearance of Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt?

SA_54-1.jpg

Love Anderson's background landscapes. :cloud9:

Great selection Bill. Maybe its about time to identify or tag some of these issues as prototypes or "precursor" issues (like the ST #54). They would then become more valuable, that would be great (since I have 'em all, hee-hee) :devil:

Ahh, a DC prototype project..that's one of my little sub-hobbies...I am SO on it!

Here's Kirby's Negative Man...is this a prototype of the Doom Partrol character or could this be a "warm-up" (ouch!) for Johnny Storm's Human Torch as he appeared in FF #1?

HOM_84.jpg

SA_050.jpg

SA_54-1.jpg

Love Anderson's background landscapes. :cloud9:

His love for careful, precise inks is utilized to great effect with those backgrounds! :applause:

Here are some nifty SA covers. I found myself looking through and re-reading some of these issues. What great stories and artwork. A dime well spent.

This issue is one of favorites. Anderson's aerial view of the Capitol building is awesome.

Photobucketa>

STR ADV 105

STR ADV 103

STR ADV 79

STR ADV 74

Must have a Gorilla cover in the mix!

STR ADV 69

STR ADV 68

This issue is alittle harder to find.

STR ADV 64

Love this cover.

STR ADV 61

Here are some nifty SA covers. I found myself looking through and re-reading some of these issues. What great stories and artwork. A dime well spent.

This issue is one of favorites. Anderson's aerial view of the Capitol building is awesome.

STRADV103.jpg

Love these types of covers...lets celebrate the black covers with the bright blue Earth, shinning like a star!

Mystery In Space was famous of these covers...

MIS_31.jpg

MIS_35.jpg

MIS_39.jpg

MIS_43.jpg