• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

I just completed the entire run (1-46) of Rex.

Congratulations! That is an incredibly tough run to complete.

And really cool to own! :applause:

Great accomplishment! Great job. I love those books but they're hard to find and not cheap when they do come up.

I just completed the entire run (1-46) of Rex. Only took about 10 years or so.

Here are a few issues for your viewing pleasure.

How dare you put Rex the Wonder Dog into a thread for 2nd string titles? He's my number one hero of all time! Rex needed no stinking tights to do the job.

rexfightsthebull.jpg

:tonofbricks:

Edited by Hepcat

It think the scarcity of graded copies is due to a combination of reasons. First of all, these books are scarce in high grade. Second, I'm guessing the collectors who like this kind of stuff don't want books locked up in a plastic vault (I know I'm in that catgegory). Finally, I don't think having the third or fourth highest graded copy would spark the kind of bidding war that you'd see with a SA Marvel, for example.

My good man, I do believe you have hit the nail square on the head...the DC Sci-Fi collector is the most discerning of collectors...yes. Unlike those...if you pardon the expression, "Marvel zombies" who only collect those nasty little plastic encased "keys".

Each DC Sci-Fi books is a masterpiece in its own right. The interior of these treasures simply cannot be sealed up in a clear plastic. They must be allowed to breath the air and have their interior artwork and stories be enjoyed by its loving owner.

If I may, I would liken a slabbed DC Sci-Fi book to a beautiful and elegantly dressed woman, who you could only look at, but never touch...(brings a tear to the eye).

What are your thoughts about this, my fellow DC Sci-Fi enthusiasts?

I'm in full agreement with you on all your points! Down with collectors of only "key" books! They're like lemmings following the dictates of the unwashed mass of critics deciding which books are to be considered keys. And comics are indeed like beautiful women; both should be lovingly and gently caressed.

:luhv:

Here are scans of some of the House of Secrets books in my collection:

HouseofSecrets36.jpg

:cool:

Oh no, poor Mark Merlin takes it in the end -- but like a man!

It would interesting to see what would be depicted if anyone ever commissioned one of those "One minute later" sketches for this cover.

My goodness! I cant believe that this thread has fallen to page 5 with no new entries since Dec 2010.

Cant have that! Here is one of my favorite DC wash covers by D ick Dillin:

HOS_49.jpg

Very interesting cover design. (thumbs u

#100 issues are always cool!

HouseofMystery100.jpg