• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protective Bags for CGC Comics

105 posts in this topic

This got me wondering, so I tried some quick tests. (Don't have a legal scanner, so no point in showing the whole image).

1st scan --- With a regular white backing board behind the slab:

slab-test-white.jpg

2nd scan - With a piece of dark blue paper behind the slab:

slab-test-blue.jpg

3rd scan - With the scanner lid wide open:

slab-test-open.jpg

I can't seem to get that halo/rainbow effect even if I try (shrug) and this is a $75 HP Scanjet.

Probably.

Anyway, the 914M2's do make for a better presentation if that is what you are looking for, but they are not a perfect fit. They are a bit bigger. The polybags are more cost efficient and we should have our own brand for them by the end of January.

:P

Wasn't it Nik who found out that if you place a colored sheet of paper behind the scan it removed this? Or am I smoking crack again?

No, but I remember the thread. Someone had a Microtek and used white paper to lighten up the areas taken up by the holder in the scan. It doesn't affect the issue I'm seeing anyway.

I've never had to deal with the "rainbow" effect, having scanned multiple slabs over the years, and I'm on my third HP scanner... (shrug)

Jim

Legal size? The more economical (ie non legal) HP scanners do not have this problem.

My first one was (HP 1000 something?) but the rest haven't...

Jim

I'm finding out that the latest scanner <> best results. I wish I could have the manufacturers send me hardware so I can do a quality test and present it for folks scanning slabs. There is a world of difference even between models within the same manufacturer.

Why don't you guys just send your slabs into CGC to get slabbed? Then you wouldn't have to worry about bags vs mylars?

Maybe I'll start a slab grading company and get rich...CGCGC?

"CGC 9.8; CGCGC 4.0 due to cracked slab"

Sterling, serously they are the duck's nuts.

Much better presentation than those resealable bags unlimited bags.

MUCH BETTER!

Ditto.

Comicsupply's legal sized mylars are the best in terms of price and presentation.

Of course, for the best presentation of your books, take them completely out of their slabs, or don't get them slabbed in the first place. The slab will always degrade the appearance of the book inside, no matter how much you mylar coat it.

Why don't you guys just send your slabs into CGC to get slabbed? Then you wouldn't have to worry about bags vs mylars?

sounds like a cottage industry hm

It's cheaper to buy the bags. :baiting: