• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protective Bags for CGC Comics

105 posts in this topic

OK guys, this is what I've been doing. I hate the look of the regular plastic and decided to go with mylar. I couldn't find a perfect size, so I went with these from bags unlimited. I put one on the slab one way and then another reverse, basically sealing the slab in mylar with no flap. It's still crystal clear and to me it looks great in a box. I've taken a few pics to show you what I'm talking about. These mylars are 12 x 8 3/4. You could use only one per slab if you're not concerned about covering the top label (the plastic of the slab is completely covered by one).

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=3&subcat=373&product_id=s875m2

Sliding a second bag reverse over the first

IMG_1993_840x480.jpg

Here's an idea of how they look from above as seen in a box

IMG_1985_840x480.jpg

The slab after the two mylars are slid on

.IMG_1984_840x480.jpg

It's a snug fit, so the first time you slide the second mylar on it can be tricky. It takes a time or two to get the technique down. You end up holding the first in place and quickly yanking the second into place. To me it's superior to poly bags and it looks neat. It's definitely more expensive than polys ($27.90 for 100), but we're talking about expensive slabs in most everyone's case. Feel free to make fun, I just figured I'd share. ^^

I had 500 mil mylar boxes custom made for my slabs. Each box holds exactly 20 slabs.

I hated not being able to see my stored slabs through those crummy cardboard boxes.

Now I have a crystal clear view.

Are you serious? Why mylar?

Why don't you guys just send your slabs into CGC to get slabbed? Then you wouldn't have to worry about bags vs mylars?

Maybe I'll start a slab grading company and get rich...CGCGC?

"CGC 9.8; CGCGC 4.0 due to cracked slab"

It's cheaper to buy the bags. :baiting:

It's even cheaper to crack the slabs. :baiting: :baiting:

I had 500 mil mylar boxes custom made for my slabs. Each box holds exactly 20 slabs.

I hated not being able to see my stored slabs through those crummy cardboard boxes.

I'm absolutely serious. The mylar boxes are kept in caves in Missouri which maintain a temperature of 60 degrees F and humidity of 31%, both of which are deemed optimal by the Board of Regents conservation authority at the Smithsonian.

Four feet eight and one half inches off the ground is also optimal.

I had special lighting installed which does not deteriorate the covers or page qualities of the books in any way shape or form.

The guards, visitors, and myself wear suits (similar to those worn at semiconductor manufacturing facilities) when viewing my collection.

I'm absolutely serious. The mylar boxes are kept in caves in Missouri which maintain a temperature of 60 degrees F and humidity of 31%, both of which are deemed optimal by the Board of Regents conservation authority at the Smithsonian.

Four feet eight and one half inches off the ground is also optimal.

I had special lighting installed which does not deteriorate the covers or page qualities of the books in any way shape or form.

The guards, visitors, and myself wear suits (similar to those worn at semiconductor manufacturing facilities) when viewing my collection.

:applause:

This whole thread demonstrates alot of what's gone wrong in our hobby. Are we so far removed from the actual comics themselves that we obsess on the presentation of slabs, storage methods, or any other niche that really has nothing to do with reading the comics? :insane:

Seriously, re-read this thread and think about why you collect comics... :makepoint:

Jim

Not to be a smart azz, but we are all posting on the site of a company whose purpose is to encapsulate comic books in plastic. The reason I protect the plastic slab is because I enjoy it without scratches. A bunch of scratches would bother me. To me it's the same as protecting anything else I value. I'm the same kind of guy who puts Brodarts on book dust covers so they don't get trashed. Like I said, feel free to make fun, but I think a lot more people are obsessed with perfection and presentation than are posting (maybe for fear of being made fun of). In a way it may come from the same obsessive trait that drives some to seek out the most prestine, mint copies of a book. I'm not trying to be confrontational and I hope no one takes it that way. 2crantrant:acclaim:

Not to be a smart azz, but we are all posting on the site of a company whose purpose is to encapsulate comic books in plastic. The reason I protect the plastic slab is because I enjoy it without scratches. A bunch of scratches would bother me. To me it's the same as protecting anything else I value. I'm the same kind of guy who puts Brodarts on book dust covers so they don't get trashed. Like I said, feel free to make fun, but I think a lot more people are obsessed with perfection and presentation than are posting (maybe for fear of being made fun of). In a way it may come from the same obsessive trait that drives some to seek out the most prestine, mint copies of a book. I'm not trying to be confrontational and I hope no one takes it that way. 2crantrant:acclaim:

I buy slabs so that I know what I am getting (I do not go to conventions to see books firsthand).

I put my slabs in resealable plastic bags from BU because they protect the slab from getting scratched and also fit perfectly.

I don't show my slabs to friends because none of my friends collect comics.

I am perfectly happy having the books in resealable bags in a cardboard box in my closet.

If I want to look at a book, I take it out of the resealable bag. This works fine for me.

I understand that mylar is better for some people who want to view or show off their books on a regular basis.

There is plenty of room for both types of bags.

Oops, gotta run. Don't want to miss my flight to Missouri....

This whole thread demonstrates alot of what's gone wrong in our hobby. Are we so far removed from the actual comics themselves that we obsess on the presentation of slabs, storage methods, or any other niche that really has nothing to do with reading the comics? :insane:

Seriously, re-read this thread and think about why you collect comics... :makepoint:

Jim

Ok, ive re-read the thread and I still like to put my slabs in mylars for presentation, if to no one else but myself.

Jim

Ok, ive re-read the thread and I still like to put my slabs in mylars for presentation, if to no one else but myself.

Me too! :banana:

action85cgc.jpg