• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: ROUND 7

174 posts in this topic

Lessons so far:

CGC is easier on small, inconspuous creases than a strict reading of Overstreet.

Spine splits aren't absolute killers on otherwise high grade books.

CGC is much easier on soiling than Overstreet.

I'll probably learn a few more along the way! lol

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. The only way you'll learn to appreciate CGC's grading (which in my opinion is rarely off the mark) is to select, submit and evaluate. :)

It's a lot harder than it looks. Kudos to Nik, as he may be one of the best "selectors" of books to submit to CGC - hence the alleged "Nik bump". :sumo:

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice . . . "

I took a risk with a higher grade thinking that the spine problem could have been a printing/binding error.

i (wrongly) figured no one would pay the slabbing costs on a copy of a fairly low key FF with such a split

your second thought is absolutely legit and well thought out. especially our nik - who knew that even he misses one occasionally......... doh!

or did he submit this one just for the grading contest????hm

Just to clear the air here.

I have sent a few junkers in for this contest, even though its a waste of money, I wanted to make this contest more interesting. It would be dull if nothing but 9.2-9.6 books are hosted :banana:

Thought so!!!!!

the results on this round are awesome - grades from the 4.0's to 9.0's..... :o

last round leader falls to a 12th place tie.

pure havok in the standings - gotta love it.

and yet, the correct grade from CGC is the most popular choice... :insane:

go figure............

Round 7: 7.0 :sumo:

It does appear to be a 3/8" spine split with an associated 2" crease along the BEBC . . . hm

Nik gave me this answer about the defect:

Spine split, almost an inch long

So either Nik lied about the defect :mad: or your grading sucks. lol

:/

Nik doesn't lie . . . he just has trouble converting to the metric system (keyword = "about") lol

What really bugs me, though, is a Hawkman #1 that I have. It looks VFish, but it has a popped staple, and it got hammered at 5.0. To me a spine split and popped staple are in the same ballpark...

Hawkman1.jpg

I'm more concerned about the reader's crease on that one than the popped staple...

I agree - that Hawkman grade was a gift :baiting:

Round 7: 7.0 :sumo:

It does appear to be a 3/8" spine split with an associated 2" crease along the BEBC . . . hm

Nik gave me this answer about the defect:

Spine split, almost an inch long

So either Nik lied about the defect :mad: or your grading sucks. lol

:/

Nik doesn't lie . . . he just has trouble converting to the metric system (keyword = "about") lol

Next time I'm gonna ask nik to do some measuring. I should have just graded the book by the scan. :cry:

and yet, the correct grade from CGC is the most popular choice... :insane:

go figure............

Actually, I think that says a lot about the actual grade of the book . . . "Mr. 3-in-a-row hottest grader in the contest" lol

(...back to the land of the living...and posting...)

WOW...OS says max 4.0 for 1-inch spine split...I know CGC does not go by OS grading guidelines, so I gave it what I felt a generous 6.0...there's also the LRC problem that has to be at least a 1/2-point detraction...

And even buying into the notion that Nik submitted a few books that normally would be submitted doesn't necessarily clue one in to how CGC would grade a 1-inch spine split...and there are very few SA or BA books that any of us have ever seen in a CGC holder (unless they were keys) with a 1-inch spine split, let alone own...

OK...done snivelling for now...

Lessons so far:

CGC is easier on small, inconspuous creases than a strict reading of Overstreet.

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. The only way you'll learn to appreciate CGC's grading (which in my opinion is rarely off the mark) is to select, submit and evaluate. :)

It's a lot harder than it looks. Kudos to Nik, as he may be one of the best "selectors" of books to submit to CGC - hence the alleged "Nik bump". :sumo:

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice . . . "

What are you disagreeing with? That I'll learn more lessons from this contest?

Sure, submitting books would be a way to learn how they grade, but I don't like my books slabbed, and it's expensive to boot.

We'll see if my scores improve... lol

Lessons so far:

CGC is much TOUGHER on small creases than Overstreet, it's your reading that's flawed. :grin:

Spine splits are absolute killers on otherwise high grade books (You think a 7.0 is not a killed grade? hm )

CGC is way TOUGHER on soiling than Overstreet.

I disagree with all of the lessons you allegedly learned. :foryou:

Non sequitur. AMC is showing the five movies. Just started. So, answer it. No, I only get drunk at cons. Seriously, I'm usually dry the rest of the year.

Ohhhh, I get it. I was looking for a thinly-veiled insult in that question, but came up blank lol

Which one is "Escape From"? Is that the new one, with Marky Mark and Helena Bonham-Carter? If so, I would only watch this if there was truly NOTHING else on and had already re-alphabetized my long boxes. Decent special effects and ape make-up, but falls flat otherwise.

No, the original one where 3 of the chimps come from the future into present day LA.

Yes it's good (just ignore the movies explanation of how the three were able to get the ship out of the lake, and be able to pilot it) Conquest and Battle were throw away movies for me.

By the way; nice way of diverting this thread away from angry posters; or trying to anyway.

I hope everyone has a safe rise home tonight (those that are out).

Battle is such a lame movie.

They didn't make any more after that cause it killed the franchise.

:mad:

They made the TV show

Years later.

It wasn't very bright either.

The two idoits would always hit the apes on the head and leave their guns.

Gee if one of the apes woke up while they were walking away...

:screwy:

Yep, Battle blew, and there was also the cartoon. I can watch the first 3, but after that, no thanks.

So far, the lesson I've learned...grading from a scan would be much easier if it was 3D and I can spin it around, zoom in, open up the book, and smell it.

So, you're saying that once a comic has been encapsulated it is harder to confirm a grade on it? hm

I forgot all about the contest over the Holidays. Sorry gang. What I was the grade? I'd have guessed a 7.5

R.