• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is that a light color break on a CGC 9.4?

61 posts in this topic

I'm guessing it's a scratch on the CGC holder. There's a slightly larger scan in the Heritage archive, and the white line looks slightly bowed. Also, and I might be imagining this, but the line seems to go beyond the bottom of the cover, into the area where the pages are showing.

I could also be completely full of malarky. T'would not be the first time(or the last!).

I'm guessing it's a scratch on the CGC holder. There's a slightly larger scan in the Heritage archive, and the white line looks slightly bowed. Also, and I might be imagining this, but the line seems to go beyond the bottom of the cover, into the area where the pages are showing.

I could also be completely full of malarky. T'would not be the first time(or the last!).

I actually hope you are right because I can't see a color break on a 9.4. I also doubt it would be caused by shaken slab syndrom (sp?).

I can't see a color break on a 9.4.

I can't imagine Hocus & Pocus on a cover, but there they are!

Hocus & Pocus :cloud9:

If only they were on more covers I might actually collect some of these later Actions.

If only they were on more covers I might actually collect some of these later Actions.

:gossip: Hocus has all the talent there. Pocus is just riding his coat-tails.

:gossip: Hocus has all the talent there. Pocus is just riding his coat-tails.

Can't have one without the other though.

That would be like having Mutt without Jeff.

The Fox without the Crow.

Green Lantern without Doiby Dickles.

hm On second thought...

I actually hope you are right because I can't see a color break on a 9.4. I also doubt it would be caused by shaken slab syndrom (sp?).

Looks like it was on the book. I love CGC to death, but frankly have grown a bit concerned with some of their grading from 2005-present. I've just seen a noticeable decline in standards for high grade books of every major Age and that concerns me.

Haven't there been a number of threads recently where people are submitting 9.0s and they are coming back as 9.6s? There is no way that should happen, not even accidentally. My last submission (early this year) had several Bronze Age books that I pegged as 9.0s/9.2s also come back as 9.6s. I mean, I don't want to kill the golden goose, but there is a reason I tend to focus on buying old label books whenever I can.

Maybe its just my perception that's erroneous, but I've seen enough books in the last couple of years to the point where its become a noticeable trend.

Looks like a light partial color breaking corner crease to me, but I can still see this book as a 9.4. It's beautiful in every other way and I don't think the crease is large enough or breaks enough color to warrent 9.2 if that is the only defect worth mentioning. Just my opinion.

Ken

I understand the thinking behind giving an otherwise perfect book a 9.4 even with such a minor color breaking crease. That said, I don't know of a single person who would grade that above a 9.2/9.0 if on a silver or bronze. I also personally would not grade it above a 9.2, even though it is very pretty.

With a scan you can't tell if it's a color-breaking crease or simply a slight color rub that took off the black layer of ink revealing the yellow layer underneath. By way of comparison, if you look in the black area below and to the left of the "S" of COMICS you'll see a couple streaks of yellow that are most likely not due to a crease.

Would any one buy that book raw if priced at a 9.4: multiples of 9.2?

You'd have to ask someone whose focus is Hocus and Pocus.