• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please give me your opinion on the grade of this "Exciting" book

46 posts in this topic

A .6 difference on a book of that caliber is really quite inexcusable when selling a RAW book for the price asked. That is why CGC is such a nice thing to have, and I wish more sellers would embrace it in full.

Based on the front, I'd guess 9.4 with a slight GA nudge.... but as we all know, it's futile to grade a high grade book without seeing a back cover scan. Even minute NCB spine ticks or rounded corners could drop the grade. Beautiful book though!

Edit: Actually, looks like a tiny flake missing in the URC? 9.2 is probably more on the money.

Agreed, back cover scan would be necessary to fully eval grade. It certainly is a beautiful looking book. Even if it came back a 9.2, it would be the highest copy CGC has graded to date.

I wouldn't put that kind of money in a raw book without seeing the back cover. If CGC came in at 9.0 or worse because of it, you would be hit too hard. It is a striking book.

If the concensus here is that it is a 9.2, there is no way I would consider paying any where near $4k+ for this book. No need to request a back scan in this case, because the grade can only go down from here, and telling Metro that the book is overgraded won't likely change their price much, if at all.

If the concensus here is that it is a 9.2, there is no way I would consider paying any where near $4k+ for this book. No need to request a back scan in this case, because the grade can only go down from here, and telling Metro that the book is overgraded won't likely change their price much, if at all.

They're banking on someone wanting that book so much that they'll pay the price...and it may happen. It really is a remarkable comic.

The book is very nice, and the cover is stunning. However, one has to assume that the inflated grade has something to do with the asking price. There is something stifling about purchasing a book that is overgraded, which appears to be the situation in this instance.

I have never been under the impression that Mile High copies command the kind of premium being asked for on this book. :(

The book is very nice, and the cover is stunning. However, one has to assume that the inflated grade has something to do with the asking price.

^^

Congratulations, you just passed seller selling tactics 101.

The safe grade is 9.0...probable is 9.2...and possible (but improbable) is 9.4. 9.6 and above is only available after smoking crack.

Easy answer is its not a 9.8

Might be if you submitted it though :kidaround:

I'd go with 9.4 from the front scan. It's always tuff to call these as CGC seems to grade older books much differently than BA and newer books. I've never understood this, but that's the way it seems to be.

I do think you are right about the difference in grading GA vs. SA or BA. I do believe they used inferior paper in the 40's. CGC does not seem to penalize sun/dust shadows on GA like they do on SA books. The MIle High copy of Flash #1 certainly comes to mind. Here is a scan of the back cover to a book CGC graded a 9.6:

flash.jpg

I do think you are right about the difference in grading GA vs. SA or BA. I do believe they used inferior paper in the 40's. CGC does not seem to penalize sun/dust shadows on GA like they do on SA books. The MIle High copy of Flash #1 certainly comes to mind. Here is a scan of the back cover to a book CGC graded a 9.6:

flash.jpg

Wow, that's amazing.

However, it's hard to imagine any paper being inferior to what was used in the BA.

Obviously you have never seen the paper used in GGA Fox books. Those books in particular are notorious for their terrible paper, and the grade inevitably suffers accordingly. :juggle:

Yep, don't have many GA books.

In the BA it was a combination of cheap paper and poor quality printing...

Does this include Marvel titles? I have owned several high grade BA books, including Hulk 181, Marvel Spotlight #5, ASM #129, Giant Size X-Men #1, etc. I don't recall ever thinking that the paper was so terrible.