• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this where the OA market is going to ?

22 posts in this topic

Where the market's going to? This is where it's been for the 2+ years I've been collecting... There are a number of great pieces of art locked in dealer's "collections" for far above FMV. I'd love a shot at some of them for a reasonable price, but it ain't happening.

No big surprise . . . I see dealers doing this all the time.

The real lesson to be learned here is that if something comes up for auction that you want, give it your best shot - otherwise the art may well be snapped-up by a dealer and subsequently offered for re-sale at a huge mark-up in price.

The real lesson to be learned here is that if something comes up for auction that you want, give it your best shot - otherwise the art may well be snapped-up by a dealer and subsequently offered for re-sale at a huge mark-up in price.

Or fellow "Collector/Art Lover"

Or fellow "Collector/Art Lover"

. . . who loves the art . . . but loves the $$$s more! :grin:

Steve Donnelly is famous for pricing stuff 2x 3x 5x 10x the value. No surprise here....

Just noticed he now has the cover art to SHOCK # 2 (obscure mag dating from 1969) up on eBay with a minimum bid of $1,545.

He bought this from Jerry Weist (through eBay) in recent weeks for the winning bid of $483.

Nothing against dealers making a profit . . . but treble the recent purchase price??? (tsk)

Yes, the Donnellys are known for buying low and selling outrageous. I got this page for $750 or so about 10 months ago, so I thought they actually paid a solid price for it; I only sold it to fund other purchases nearer and dearer to my heart. I was sad to see it land in the OA museum of enormous markup, but that is indeed the market from a dealer's perspective: "Can I price it at 2x or 3x the buy price and negotiate from there?"

Well, here's to capitalism.

Dan

This in't about OA. isn't this where the collectable market overall has been for... ummm, forever?

True.

As a comic book collector I learned (almost) everything has a price. I wish every vintage comic book and piece of OA was $5. I would happily have to buy storage space, but my collection would ROCK! The problem is, is that our hobby gets expensive.

I got my first copy of Action Comics #1 ( I did get a second one), told a friend, and 12 hours later he offered me $12,000 more than I paid for it. I thought about it and had to sell it. Who makes $1000 an hour? I sure as hell don't.

I price all of my art and if someone wants to pay that price, it's gone. My Miller piece and a few others have NFS, but truth be told, if the right money was offered, I would have to take it.

These are only collectibles, yes, ones I love very much, but still not a loved one or a body part. If I could put big $ in my daughters college fund and give a little to charity, I would have to sell even though I would, of course, miss what I had sold.

another thing-

If I see a great deal on OA and can flip it to buy other stuff, I do. Yes, it is that simple.

rantrant

This in't about OA. isn't this where the collectable market overall has been for... ummm, forever?

True.

As a comic book collector I learned (almost) everything has a price. I wish every vintage comic book and piece of OA was $5. I would happily have to buy storage space, but my collection would ROCK! The problem is, is that our hobby gets expensive.

I got my first copy of Action Comics #1 ( I did get a second one), told a friend, and 12 hours later he offered me $12,000 more than I paid for it. I thought about it and had to sell it. Who makes $1000 an hour? I sure as hell don't.

I price all of my art and if someone wants to pay that price, it's gone. My Miller piece and a few others have NFS, but truth be told, if the right money was offered, I would have to take it.

These are only collectibles, yes, ones I love very much, but still not a loved one or a body part. If I could put big $ in my daughters college fund and give a little to charity, I would have to sell even though I would, of course, miss what I had sold.

another thing-

If I see a great deal on OA and can flip it to buy other stuff, I do. Yes, it is that simple.

rantrant

:applause:

True.

another thing-

rantrant

:applause:

See, sick minds think alike lol

True.

another thing-

rantrant

And if I see excessive greed on the would-be-seller's behalf, I don't buy.

Yes, it's that simple!

Though I do admire your honesty. :applause:

True.

another thing-

rantrant

And if I see excessive greed on the would-be-seller's behalf, I don't buy.

Yes, it's that simple!

Though I do admire your honesty. :applause:

And I yours (thumbs u

Here's another example. This is a page from an artbook. I bought two pieces from the same book in July/August. This sold for way less than the "new" asking price. Does anyone know how to search past ebay auctions? It was originally sold by Splashpage on ebay around the 28th of July give or take a week or two. It is an awesome piece though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-ORIGINAL-ART-LEE-BERMEJO-W-W_W0QQitemZ170182515178QQihZ007QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know how to search past ebay auctions?

Yup...CAF Market Data. An invaluable resource. Well worth the membership fee (CAF deserves the support!). (thumbs u

It shows this piece as having sold on 7/19/2007, so you're pretty close there. But it shows the winning bid at $4050. So the minimum bid on this new auction at $5K isn't really THAT much higher.

Beautiful, cover-quality piece. Worth $5K? We'll see.