• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #48 - STILL a major key book?!?!

142 posts in this topic

I believe that Mark Wilson auctioned one of these about 2 years ago for $8500 to $9500!! Be interesting to see where it winds up. There ARE now 38 copies on the census in NM+ 9.6 or better!!! This one's an "arvel omics roup" copy (off centered), which may knock a few K's off the final result.

It's sad to see a 9.8 with that much of an off center, but hey it's still a nice book! I prefer that over the white "line" that shows when it is off center the opposite way.

I doubt that i'll ever be able to drop a ton of money on this book since i'd probably spend the same amount of money on X-men & spidey books if I ever had it tongue.gif

The owner of Comic Kings is from Virginia, and I've been to his store. His store is tiny and has nothing vintage in it; I assume he turns up 9.6 and 9.8 late Silver/Bronze books from time to time by doing private deals or buying collections. Comic Kings also originally slabbed and sold the only X-Men 95 CGC 9.8 I've seen for sale on E-Bay; Mark Wilson beat me out for it at $800 and then he flipped it a few months later for almost double that. I bought the last X-Men 96 CGC 9.6 that I've seen on E-Bay from Comic Kings about 20 months ago.

this thread reads like a stock market board not a comic board. Blue chips? Geesh. Collecting high grade silver and bronze feels like a game of musical chairs. Who gets stuck with it last loses. Sooner or later they have to level off at least for a while right? $2000 for Iron man 1's that stupid no matter what grade it is. PS FF 48 is a great book but common and likely not a great investment but still a cool book especially if you actually read the damned thing (perish the thought) Chet

When have you paid $2000 for a book for the sole purpose of reading it? I've never found a book on the entire planet earth that anybody charged that much for that was worth it for the story alone. FF 48 has been reprinted enough times that the story is readily available in almost every comic shop in a trade paperback.

People are paying for the story, the art, but more importantly, the uniqueness and rarity of something they like a lot. Forgive us fortunate children of capitalist democracies that look for interesting ways to blow our disposable income. laugh.gif

I only meant it was great book as far as the content not that I would pay $2000 for any comic to read it. Still its almost unusually common in high grade maybe because the SS was such a hot character that enough copies were well taken care of? I didnt think there were a lot of collectors holding back stacks of books in 1966 I had though that started a little bit later maybe with the 1968 Marvel explosion? I actually was going to buy a 9.4 but once the census came out I held off. Its a nice book and I'm envious of those who have a high grade copy but being a bargain minded collector I'd rather spend my $ on some lesser known books with a little more scarcity. Now I have to get back to my Capitalistic pig ways so I can join you Big Dollar folks who are running this show, lol Chet

People didn't hold back FF 48s because they were worth a lot; it didn't shoot up in value until over 10 years after its release date. It didn't really start shooting up for almost 20 years. The leading theories in another thread about why there are so many FF 48s were:

1) A lot of them were stored in a warehouse that never made it to the stands. This possibility is supported by the fact that the other Marvels from that same time period, such as Spidey #33, are also more readily available than other issues from the same year.

2) Marvel reprinted it without marking the reprints in any explicit way. Methuselah says that after seeing a bunch of FF 48s that he has noticed two different shades of red in the background of the issue. This could mean that the differently-shaded backgrounds are the reprints, if this truly is a pattern.

That name reminds of that eBay dealer "Comic-Keys". Sorry if this has already come up but has anyone dealt with this guy before? He has some amazing stuff all curiously unslabbed. That and his private auctions and feedback make me want to run for the hills. When I was at Wizard World last year a CGC rep was telling me to avoid an eBayer who was cutting books, etc. I can't remember the exact ID but I think it was him. Any interesting experiences to relate?

RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! RUN! WE'RE DOOMED!

comic-keys (the user methusaleh on this board) is a err... favorite topic around here. We're in a calm patch right now grin.gif. so *ahem* for the sake of message board, why don't you do a search in "Comics General" on "comic-keys" within the past 6 months. You'll get more info/ opinions than you could ever want or need

I hope you read ALL of them. My replies as well, which although the content of my "depositions" bears the overwhelming weight of FACT, are usually ignored by those that have unshakeable, but sadly, unsubstantiated beliefs. You must realize that this is a CGC Forum. To most here, the mere thought of selling a comic in unslabbed state is a sacreligious affrontery to their beliefs, that the only book of any value is a CGCed book.

I've actually gotten emails from FF, Jamie Rudd (whose entire wealth of knowledge, whenever accidentally deployed, was gleaned from ME, from dozens of emails we exchanged while he posed as an online friend as he was "Stabbing me in the back"), telling me how "he has nothing against me, but eagerly looks forward to the day when I REJOIN the "community" by selling ONLY CGCed books"! Sad, but true. Like an early Jesuit preaching to the "savage" Native South, Pan, and North Americans, holding up a shirt and pants, telling the Indians that if they put these on, they'll feel much better and God will LOVE them!!! Padre Rudd (who according to his emails I received is CGCs right hand man....more funny stuff)! Do you know HOW Rudd is CGC's "right hand man"? If you send him an email, ANY email with the letters CGC in the text, good or bad, it is immediately forwarded to CGC. THAT'S how he is their "right hand man". He, in essence, serves the purpose of being, their "snitch", and I know this from the testimony of MANY, some of whom used to post regularly on this Board.

The majority of the books I sell and auction are NOT CGCed. You like the book, you buy the BOOK, not the label. My preference is to buy unslabbed, so if I don't agree with the grade when the piece arrives I CAN RETURN IT, the same as when you buy from me, YOU can return it. There have been occassions where I have bought a CGCed item and disagreed (I know...burn me at the Plastic stake for saying so and bury me in unhallowed ground..that concept on this Forum is unthinkable, impossible, illogical) with the label, but guess what....I was STUCK with it, NO RETURNS ON CGCed ITEMS. Through trial and error on Ebay, I've learned who gets favorable outcomes everytime on their submissions and who gets the royal shaft. I buy alot of CGCed books from those that get the Royal shaft 99% of the time because I KNOW without even looking at the picture that the book will automatically be 1.5 grades HIGHER than the label (more unthinkable sacrelidge).

Anyway, selling high grades, UNSLABBED, makes me Public Enemy #1 around here and of course, it's highly understandable that the CGC zealot disciples will do all in their power to excommunicate me and encourage you not to stray from the flock ("Here, put on this nice plastic overcoat..you'll feel better and God will love you like he does us").

In no way is CGC responsible for this type of deplorable prevailing mentality. It's a second opinion by an independent third party OUTSIDE the scope of the transaction. To many, who have no concept of what having an opinion is themselves, it's become an edict.

I asked you to rejoin the community, but I never, ever said that it entailed only selling via CGC. Nor do CGC and I share any information about you, outside of the public forums here. Re-read the e-mails that got forwarded to you; you made an invalid assumption from them.

Rejoin WHAT community? YOUR community? Your IDEA of a Utopian community? I never left the "community". YOU should "rejoin" MY community, which deals with reality and fact.

Like many others who have extended a warm welcome to their "community", Jim Jones, Heaven's Gate, Charles Manson, etc., who's to say your path is the correct one. You should also extend BOTH hands when you make these altruistic offers, so the uninitiated can see that you don't have a shiv in one hand, ready to stab them in the back, while you're welcoming them, your converts with the other.

I assume nothing. In MY community assumption is NOT fact and assuming until you're blue in the face STILL doesn't make it true. In MY community, determination of GUILT is based on FACT, not second hand assumptions lacking any semblance of creedence or evidence. I don't assume anything concerning your intentions and ramblings in personal emails, many of which you have sent to others that I have been priviledged to peruse! You even went so far as to backstab CGC in the content of one of them!!! Shall I forward that to your "left-hand" man?