• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most over-rated overpriced book of all time

408 posts in this topic

Adventure # whatever (1st Legion) !!! Does anyone under the age of 45 care about the Legion, nevermind who they even are? And are they important enough to warrant notations for their 16th appearance in the Overstreet :screwy:

Jim

Hey, wait a minute, that's chronological snobbery by implication...45 and over folks are people too, just like short people are (despite Randy Newman's 1970s sentiment). But if the 16th appearance reference is literal, then that is screwy...

Surprised that a few of the elite GA forumites agree with the Suspense #3. Justifying it as over-rated based on the story- wouldn;t that apply to an awful lot of sought-after GA (and SA as well) books? I guess it could be true that the aura surrounding this book has become so great that this factor has begun to eclipse the fundamentals (although couldn't this be said to some extent re: Supes #1. MC #1, and a few others?). But as someone who greatly values the cover and notices the incredible agressiveness for this book, i can only assume something about it (the cover? the scarcity? both?) drives the interest. I am a relative novice re: GA, but my gut tells me Suspense 3 will sustain high prices for a very very long time.

When judging whether a book is over-priced I think of supply-demand not consistent with market prices. There are a lot of books in which the market has been slow to correct. Several of these books have been mentioned. I'd include most any modern book that goes for big $, because although the book may be good the supply is often underestimated. Next would be any manufactured collectible book (although these are mostly moderns). Next would be any of the Mile High II books- most do not appreciate the true supply.

Except for a handful of GA books in which supply will always outstrip demand (Thing 16,Major Inapak) I don;t see many GA books being so plentiful that even a small increase in interest wouldn't cause an upward adjustment in price. In the past 2 years I've seen an increased interest in GA GGA books start to significantly drive prices up. I used to buy nice Planets at below guide and now that's almost impossible. If a dozen people are actively pursuing a type of book and that number increases to 24, the market is greatly affected. Except when the current supply will satisfy 10,000 or more (as with moderns).

I find it amusing when I see "limited edition" books or prints in which "only 300" were produced, and I judge the item of being of interest to maybe 100 people max (especially at anything near the price being asked). Which means that once everyone who wants one has one, there will still be major glut of unsold product.

I thought it was a question about all time and not just overvalued today. Although good one on the X-men sale....

Captain Marvel Special Edition 1: Has this book ever been in demand?

I'm in the minority here, but it's one of my favorite GA books. All-Kirby, wonderful simple cover...great book. Having said that, Overstreet is way high on pricing - just look at the dearth of sales of higher grade slabbed copies.

Prices on these have slipped over 30% from recent consistent highs just less than two years.

USM #1

Look who the buyer is.

doh!

Is there anything in a slab that this guy doesn't bid on?

I was just getting ready to ask the same thing. (shakes head)

Surprised that a few of the elite GA forumites agree with the Suspense #3. Justifying it as over-rated based on the story- wouldn;t that apply to an awful lot of sought-after GA (and SA as well) books? I guess it could be true that the aura surrounding this book has become so great that this factor has begun to eclipse the fundamentals (although couldn't this be said to some extent re: Supes #1. MC #1, and a few others?). But as someone who greatly values the cover and notices the incredible agressiveness for this book, i can only assume something about it (the cover? the scarcity? both?) drives the interest. I am a relative novice re: GA, but my gut tells me Suspense 3 will sustain high prices for a very very long time.

When judging whether a book is over-priced I think of supply-demand not consistent with market prices. There are a lot of books in which the market has been slow to correct. Several of these books have been mentioned. I'd include most any modern book that goes for big $, because although the book may be good the supply is often underestimated. Next would be any manufactured collectible book (although these are mostly moderns). Next would be any of the Mile High II books- most do not appreciate the true supply.

Except for a handful of GA books in which supply will always outstrip demand (Thing 16,Major Inapak) I don;t see many GA books being so plentiful that even a small increase in interest wouldn't cause an upward adjustment in price. In the past 2 years I've seen an increased interest in GA GGA books start to significantly drive prices up. I used to buy nice Planets at below guide and now that's almost impossible. If a dozen people are actively pursuing a type of book and that number increases to 24, the market is greatly affected. Except when the current supply will satisfy 10,000 or more (as with moderns).

I find it amusing when I see "limited edition" books or prints in which "only 300" were produced, and I judge the item of being of interest to maybe 100 people max (especially at anything near the price being asked). Which means that once everyone who wants one has one, there will still be major glut of unsold product.

Interesting. I thought there was only the VCC Elite, now there's another elite group I can't be part of! :frustrated:

The answer is

HERE.

:signfunny:lol I still made a profit on pedigree yesterday :P

why did you sell...you getting out of the xmen SA game too?

No, just need to pay some bills :(

bill ponseti and billy parker?...what are you paying them for...pay me!

Adventure # whatever (1st Legion) !!! Does anyone under the age of 45 care about the Legion, nevermind who they even are? And are they important enough to warrant notations for their 16th appearance in the Overstreet :screwy:

The Legion has a whole sub-set of devout followers who buy nothing else...

Jim

(although couldn't this be said to some extent re: Supes #1. MC #1, and a few others?).

Supes #1 and MC #1 have more going for them than just the covers though. historical significance.

I am not saying that suspense 3 won't continue to increase in price, I am just saying it is, IMO, the most over priced GA book, relative to what it brings...a GREAT schomburg cover....but, there are so many great schomburg covers...I think the book still suffers from the hype, but there is a decent supply relative to demand (I know of 3 copies in the market right now for sale, none of them getting their respective asking prices)...I refuse to buy one at the lofty prices, and I know many more like me...that said, some folks obviously disagree, as the book keeps selling (eventually)....

I can't compare MC 1 or Supes 1 to Suspense 3,as to me, they are not even in the same universe, as far as importance to the GA....

that said, if suspense 3 was priced more in line with some of schomburgs other great covers, but cruddy books, I would happily buy one..

rick

I`ll agree with Suspense 3

Also ASM #1, ASM #300, Hulk #181 and Tec #31

argh...I was with you all the way to the last one :makepoint:

Sorry Rick, but I just think Bob Kane sucks too much as an artist for any of his covers to command a premium.

Tim is right. Tec 31 sucks. Dump them all! Up_to.gif

I`ll agree with Suspense 3

Also ASM #1, ASM #300, Hulk #181 and Tec #31

argh...I was with you all the way to the last one :makepoint:

Sorry Rick, but I just think Bob Kane sucks too much as an artist for any of his covers to command a premium.

Tim is right. Tec 31 sucks. Dump them all! Up_to.gif

I can't get enough of them...I think I Have owned 6 copies in the last 2 years, and would love to of kept them, but I only need one in my collection, so as I have upgraded or downgraded, I have never had a problem getting my cost out of the book...hence, I can't call it "over priced"

and I realize you are joking NR, but just wanted to add another thought

I can't get enough of them...I think I Have owned 6 copies in the last 2 years, and would love to of kept them, but I only need one in my collection, so as I have upgraded or downgraded, I have never had a problem getting my cost out of the book...hence, I can't call it "over priced"

and I realize you are joking NR, but just wanted to add another thought

It's one of my favorite comics. It way my holy grail for a while. But I just can't justify the price (which is ever-increasing). At least I can read it anytime I want to.