• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing Moders?

65 posts in this topic

Okay,

So I'm wondering...and this could be a silly question, but when EXACTLY did the Bronze/Copper age turn into the modern age? Is there a year that this happen or a month...

I realize that your modern age covers all of 2000's and half or all???? of the 90's?

i figured that most of the guy’s/gal's here on the boards are aware of what i’m talking about. and i completely understand collecting them slabbed because you like them that way.

but i’m guessing that there is a whole mess of people out there that feel they will be worth real money one day not realizing how many there actually are.

I buy slabbed Moderns. I like slabbed Moderns. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what you like.

And no, I do not expect them to be worth anything down the line.

That's why you're Doctor Watson.

That's my thinking exactly! If they happen to be worth something down the road, that's just a bonus.

Right now it's just the enjoyment I get from the books :grin:

I don't know your excuse Ash, so we'll just chalk it up to common sense :)

Just repeat the age-old adage "Buy what you like... buy what you like..." though investment interest in this hobby is a real -shoot so best of luck there... (where's Aces' Russian roulette graemlin?)

I collect what I like and don't buy comics for investment value. Some of what I like are moderns and some are SA. I like the Signature Series on moderns alot as the books provide a direct link to the talent that created them. I don't really care if they are worth a mint or bubkus in 20 years.

I'm collect mainly SA but I am working on a couple of modern sets. I love Frank Millers 300 so I put together a 9.8 - 9.9 run. I read the hardback to death. The slabs are just something I enjoy having. Not an investment. If they were, I would have sold them at their peak when the movie came out. Now the prices are coming down for these books since so many were slabbed due to the movie.

I buy slabbed Moderns. I like slabbed Moderns. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what you like.

And no, I do not expect them to be worth anything down the line.

That's why you're Doctor Watson.

That's my thinking exactly! If they happen to be worth something down the road, that's just a bonus.

Right now it's just the enjoyment I get from the books :grin:

I don't know your excuse Ash, so we'll just chalk it up to common sense :)

Just repeat the age-old adage "Buy what you like... buy what you like..." though investment interest in this hobby is a real -shoot so best of luck there... (where's Aces' Russian roulette graemlin?)

Exactly! (thumbs u

There are a couple of reasons.

Allthough it might not affect strict purchases, CGCs prices for submission will eventually go up. Many moderns slabs will maintain a minimum value simply because of the cost of slabbing, as well as multiple attempts at slabbing to get a 9.8+, when you can be guaranteed in one shot with a purchase. CGC-graded comics will only drop well below baseline graded-value cost if CGC literally goes out of business.

Which leads in to: I believe it is a misconception that there are massive amounts of moderns sitting around in 9.8 +. Yes, there are far more out there than BA, SA, and GA. But, since I am currently cataloging and pre-grading my entire collection, that has sat, bagged and boarded, in boxes for 15-20 years (literally), I can state that many people believe that they have 9.8s just running rampant throughout their collections, but they are quite wrong. I spend several nights a week sighing in dissapointment as I do a true grader's evaluation of my comics. I'd be extremely happy, at this point, if I get a 10% runthrough of all of my comics at 9.8 potential. Now, as might be obvious, my collection runs to '68-'92, so later moderns aren't so difficult. I purchased 90% directly off the shelves, or via subscription, and carefully handled all (or so I thought). I avoided purchasing any Valiant or Image comics because I was out of collecting, but 9.8s just aren't that easy to come by, even off the shelves.

3rd:

Ability to collect. I am thinking about writing an "article" about CGC collecting on a budget, as that is the type of collector I am, extremely strictly budgeted. Now, I could drop my entire collecting budget on a 4.5 ASM, and do nothing else for the rest of the year, or I can complete an entire high-grade run of some favorite, sentimental title for the same price. I can enjoy the chase of putting together a collection that no one else in the world has (even if no one cares), or I can have the 52nd best copy of a single issue in the world... And I can prove it's the best because of the Registry.

4th:

It may indeed be a bubble, but given that other segments of similar industries, such as stamp, coin, and sports collectibles, are now pretty seriously stabilized and accepted, I have the feeling that it isn't such a bubble as it might seem, and definately not the Valiant/Superman bubble. Looking at a recent Heritage auction, very early '80s CGC 9.8 Hulks were averaging $120.00, Same era Caps were running at a slightly less range. Flash Vol 1 CGC HG are holding and rising in value...

5th:

They may be modern now, but they wont' be in 50 years. :) CGC encapsulation protects probably better than any other storage method.

And no, I do not expect them to be worth anything down the line. Just like I didn't expect raw copies of X-Force number #1 to be worth anything.

What do you mean X-Force number 1 isn't worth anything?!? :o I was promised if I bought multiple copies they would pay for my retirement. I guess this means I'll be eating alpo when I get old. :tonofbricks:

Good note, but I have a few nits to pick...

... Many moderns slabs will maintain a minimum value simply because of the cost of slabbing, as well as multiple attempts at slabbing to get a 9.8+, when you can be guaranteed in one shot with a purchase. CGC-graded comics will only drop well below baseline graded-value cost if CGC literally goes out of business.

Don't agree with this. eBay is littered with last year's "hot" comics in CGC 9.8 that won't even sell for slabbing fees or less. Cost of slabbing assures nothing.

They may be modern now, but they wont' be in 50 years. :) CGC encapsulation protects probably better than any other storage method.

This has been the subject of frequent speculation here, but many collectors feel that a sturdy fullback / mylar / microchamber paper is better than a CGC slab in terms of archival protection.

4th:

It may indeed be a bubble, but given that other segments of similar industries, such as stamp, coin, and sports collectibles, are now pretty seriously stabilized and accepted, I have the feeling that it isn't such a bubble as it might seem, and definately not the Valiant/Superman bubble. Looking at a recent Heritage auction, very early '80s CGC 9.8 Hulks were averaging $120.00, Same era Caps were running at a slightly less range. Flash Vol 1 CGC HG are holding and rising in value...

5th:

I think you're talking about 2 different things here. One is HG Copper books, which I agree there is present (and potential future) market for, because as you ahve pointed out, strict HG copies are not abundant.

the other is mint off the printing presses comics that are immediately encapsulated. Of this group I think there are just far far too many being saved in HG, and the market will always be saturated with them. They will be 9.8's forever, and the future market value is very sketchy.

I collect predominately Centaurs and High Grade Silver Age stuff. However once in a while I purchase CGC 9.8 Moderns as well.

I do this because I LIKE THEM!!!! I don't think about how much I will make on these down the road. As a matter of fact Centaurs are books that do not go up hardly at all even though they are GA. I buy them as well because I LIKE THEM!!!!

The statement, buy what you like, applies to almost everything I purchase. If it goes up in value, consider it a bonus!!! If it goes down, no problem, I'm enjoying my hobby as a collector, not an investor.

If I wanted to INVEST in comics for a profit I'd probably go with High Grade KEY Books from the GOLD/SILVER AGE only!!!! These would be Popular titles such as Action, Batman, Superman, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, you get the point. I wouldn't be buying esoteric,non-main stream type of books even though they will go up (slightly) in the coming years in value. They however will NOT climb as fast, or as much as the Popular titles like the ones I listed above.

I don't care, I buy because I like them!!!!

So all you MODERN age lovers out there, enjoy your hobby. If you like collecting Moderns do so. You are contributing immensely to our hobby and I SALUTE you.

Now PM me and let me tell you what great CGC 9.8/9.9 books I have for sale!!!! :devil:

I think it depends on what you consider "modern".

Some people seem to be lumping 80s stuff in there. Not so abundant in strict 9.8. maybe not "rare" for the mainline stuff, sure. $100+ for some generic hulk 60 or 65 cent issue, I dunno.....But $50-$75 if you want to put together a pristine set, $15-25 for a 9.6 maybe and 9.4 or less better off raw...

And some of the even mainstream stuff from 1998-2001 or so was printed in some low enough numbers, just at the inception of CGC. I dunno, some of that 1999/2000 stuff might stick, depending on where it's at now.

But honestly, "investing" in 9.8s of whatever came out last week? Hasn't it been several years since people were actually doing that? Too many 9.8s out there selling for $9.99 as it is (and sometimes they're even mid-1980s books and should go for more) . Not sure if doing the colossus 9.8 "subscription" is necessarily "investing" more than people being particularly an*all**y retentive.

Honestly, there might even be money to be made in the perception that "modern" 9.8s aren't worth the plastic they're encased in when the perception of "modern" dips back 20 years. I've actually made a flip or two on things that went under the radaar, actually buying from colossus no less.

... Many moderns slabs will maintain a minimum value simply because of the cost of slabbing, as well as multiple attempts at slabbing to get a 9.8+, when you can be guaranteed in one shot with a purchase. CGC-graded comics will only drop well below baseline graded-value cost if CGC literally goes out of business.

Don't agree with this. eBay is littered with last year's "hot" comics in CGC 9.8 that won't even sell for slabbing fees or less. Cost of slabbing assures nothing.

Can you point me to some? I'd like to pick up some at slabbing cost. Any that I've found are going for double that at least. (I always include shipping in cost of products on eBay, or course)

This has been the subject of frequent speculation here, but many collectors feel that a sturdy fullback / mylar / microchamber paper is better than a CGC slab in terms of archival protection.

Other than microchamber acid paper protection, what's the benefit? Drop a heavy box on a box of fullbacked, cruch and crease. Drop a heavy box on a box of slabs, maybe cracked slabs. Would take some serious tries to ding the book itself....

Other than microchamber acid paper protection, what's the benefit? Drop a heavy box on a box of fullbacked, cruch and crease. Drop a heavy box on a box of slabs, maybe cracked slabs. Would take some serious tries to ding the book itself....

Take one of your old label slabs & shake it. Post your results here....

Can you point me to some? I'd like to pick up some at slabbing cost. Any that I've found are going for double that at least. (I always include shipping in cost of products on eBay, or course)

I'm don't know about eBay (although I'm sure there are cheap 9.8s there), but I know at WW Chicago '06 there was a dealer that had boxes full of 9.8s for under $10 each. I briefly considered buying one just to have a CGC slab, but they were all such mess that I didn't bother.

I'm don't know about eBay (although I'm sure there are cheap 9.8s there), but I know at WW Chicago '06 there was a dealer that had boxes full of 9.8s for under $10 each. I briefly considered buying one just to have a CGC slab, but they were all such mess that I didn't bother.

Buy six and use them as placemats.