• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing Moders?

65 posts in this topic

Good note, but I have a few nits to pick...

... Many moderns slabs will maintain a minimum value simply because of the cost of slabbing, as well as multiple attempts at slabbing to get a 9.8+, when you can be guaranteed in one shot with a purchase. CGC-graded comics will only drop well below baseline graded-value cost if CGC literally goes out of business.

Don't agree with this. eBay is littered with last year's "hot" comics in CGC 9.8 that won't even sell for slabbing fees or less. Cost of slabbing assures nothing.

Can you point me to some? I'd like to pick up some at slabbing cost. Any that I've found are going for double that at least. (I always include shipping in cost of products on eBay, or course)

I'm don't know about eBay (although I'm sure there are cheap 9.8s there), but I know at WW Chicago '06 there was a dealer that had boxes full of 9.8s for under $10 each. I briefly considered buying one just to have a CGC slab, but they were all such mess that I didn't bother.

Buy six and use them as placemats.

Slabs make great rolling trays..... ;)

I'm all for collecting what you like.

The only area I see that puzzles me for those who say the enjoy buying slabbed Moderns but not as an investment is that aren't you slabbing the book for better investment value? Maybe it presents better and that's a decent answer. I noticed at the last Motor City show some boxes full of slabbed 9.8 Moderns that were all $20 each. That looked like the dealer was trying to recoup the slabbing fee. I think we'll see more of this as time goes on and then discounted books to move inventory. I can picture store space becoming an issue for a dealer who has a number of slabbed Modern books. One CGC book maybe takes up the space of 3 backer board books?

But, it's not my money and who am I to tell someone else how to spend theirs.

I'm all for collecting what you like.

The only area I see that puzzles me for those who say the enjoy buying slabbed Moderns but not as an investment is that aren't you slabbing the book for better investment value? Maybe it presents better and that's a decent answer. I noticed at the last Motor City show some boxes full of slabbed 9.8 Moderns that were all $20 each. That looked like the dealer was trying to recoup the slabbing fee. I think we'll see more of this as time goes on and then discounted books to move inventory. I can picture store space becoming an issue for a dealer who has a number of slabbed Modern books. One CGC book maybe takes up the space of 3 backer board books?

But, it's not my money and who am I to tell someone else how to spend theirs.

I'm glad all that money is going into slabbing fees and quarter box books - less competition for actual good stuff.

Moderns have always gone in waves. I can think of a lot issues that went for bigger money, raw ......20 years ago, more so than they do now ......graded at a 9.8.

In the 1980's, and even the early 1990's, I was able to get Bronze age books in quarter boxes, or more often $1 boxes, but in 9.8, a of these books go for some OK coin.

Moderns are common, but I think there will always be the standouts. They relate to a younger generation, and are somewhat affordable.

I personally would rather have a golden age or silver age book, but I understand why some folk buy moderns.

To be honest I think there are a lot of moderns from the late 70's and early 80's that are fairly tough to find, and still a bit underrated. I wouldn't be surprised if early moderns start to boom.

Another reason I buy slabbed moderns is to complete my collection. Once I complete my X-men collection, my modern slab buying will drop dramatically to only two modern slabs a month, depending on publication schedules.

I personally think that as time goes on the real valuable comics for moderns will be the 9.9's and 10.0's. A good case can be made that these are actually undervalued. I believe that 9.8's will go up in value, but nowhere near the astronomical climb of 9.9's and 10.0's.

I personally think that as time goes on the real valuable comics for moderns will be the 9.9's and 10.0's. A good case can be made that these are actually undervalued. I believe that 9.8's will go up in value, but nowhere near the astronomical climb of 9.9's and 10.0's.

homer%20simpson.gif

"Collect what you like, and be an informed consumer."

^^

That being said, I don't understand why folks put money into slabbed moderns when they could buy older books, but to each his own.

As are you all, I'm still kind of shocked to see what some slabbed moderns bring in. I saw a 9.8 cgc white pages copy of the new iron man series #1 (ellis) go for $75 the other week, which was a few bucks MORE expensive than the cgc 9.2 daredevil 168 (first elektra) off-white to white pages that i got the same day. Don't know what the GPA is on the book I bought, but in 20 years, I'm fairly confident that people will still be curious about that Daredevil issue...and maybe not even remember the Iron Man issue (since Marvel will probably relaunch that series 10 more times by then).

p.s. (if someone wanted to tell me what the GPA is on the daredevil, i wouldn't argue!)

homer%20simpson.gif

I actually don't have any 9.9's or 10.0's by the way. Just my opinion, and I could very well be extremely off in my assessment. There just doesn't seem to be many 9.9's and 10.0's out there. I'm just saying if you want to invest in moderns. It is best to go with the ones where there is a scarce supply, and that seems to be the 9.9's and 10.0's. Again, just my opinion.

If I had to invest in moderns, I would cherry-pick the best copies and store them away raw. If CGC is still slabbing comics if/when these books become 'hot' in the future.....I could just submit them then.

Why bear the grading costs now?

if you check out the cgc census for the modern Captain America series, you'll notice that the numbers are quite low and the series is excellent. i hope that in the future, those issues will go up in value.

if you check out the cgc census for the modern Captain America series, you'll notice that the numbers are quite low and the series is excellent. i hope that in the future, those issues will go up in value.

What I'm suggesting is that there is really no reason to slab the books now....from an investment standpoint. Tuck them away in mylars and submit them when the time is right.

If I had to invest in moderns, I would cherry-pick the best copies and store them away raw. If CGC is still slabbing comics if/when these books become 'hot' in the future.....I could just submit them then.

Well for me personally I can't tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9. So I am not talking about sending in a perceived 9.9 to be graded. I am talking about buying an already slabbed 9.9 or 10.0. That way the average collector will not be disappointed when their perceived 9.9 or 10.0 comes back a 9.6 or a 9.8.

Now, to make one thing clear. At the moment I am more of a collector of comics instead of a speculator. I have a personal lifetime goal of sending in every issue of Amazing Spider-man from issue #1 to issue #441 to be graded by CGC. I don't have a ton of money and at the moment and I have only submitted 7 books. So I have an awful long way to go. If I am going to slab a modern. Most likely it is going to be an Amazing Spider-Man from #250 to #441. And only because it helps my goal and not because of speculating in the hobby. If my modern Amazing Spider-man comics become super valuable than fantastic! But if they are worth a tenth of the value of the money I put into them than it will not matter so much because they will still have sentimental value to me. :)

Well for me personally I can't tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9. So I am not talking about sending in a perceived 9.9 to be graded. I am talking about buying an already slabbed 9.9 or 10.0. That way the average collector will not be disappointed when their perceived 9.9 or 10.0 comes back a 9.6 or a 9.8.

Now, to make one thing clear. At the moment I am more of a collector of comics instead of a speculator. I have a personal lifetime goal of sending in every issue of Amazing Spider-man from issue #1 to issue #441 to be graded by CGC. I don't have a ton of money and at the moment and I have only submitted 7 books. So I have an awful long way to go. If I am going to slab a modern. Most likely it is going to be an Amazing Spider-Man from #250 to #441. And only because it helps my goal and not because of speculating in the hobby. If my modern Amazing Spider-man comics become super valuable than fantastic! But if they are worth a tenth of the value of the money I put into them than it will not matter so much because they will still have sentimental value to me. :)

So, why even consider CGC'ing modern Spidey's now? Wait til the possibilty of it getting "hot" happens. Maybe it's just me, but having the book slabbed has no bearing on "sentimental value". It's from the book itself that sentimental value comes from. And, God knows, I'm way too sentimentally attached to my books.

But, I can appreciate your goal of slabbing your Spidey collection. If that's what brings you joy in the hobby, have at it.

So, why even consider CGC'ing modern Spidey's now? Wait til the possibilty of it getting "hot" happens. Maybe it's just me, but having the book slabbed has no bearing on "sentimental value". It's from the book itself that sentimental value comes from. And, God knows, I'm way too sentimentally attached to my books.

But, I can appreciate your goal of slabbing your Spidey collection. If that's what brings you joy in the hobby, have at it.

Remember. Sentimental value has everything to do with perception. I guess it means a little more to me because it takes just a little extra effort to accomplish. And although I can't be the Original Owner of any of the Amazing Spider-man books I get. I can at least be the Original Comic Slab Owner of the Amazing Spider-man series from 1-441. Why is this important to me? Because in a sense I feel more part of the process. I am the one who decides if it's good enough to be slabbed or not. I can say I built this collection up myself. While to some this is rather trivial, for me it means a lot. To each his own I guess.

Remember. Sentimental value has everything to do with perception. I guess it means a little more to me because it takes just a little extra effort to accomplish. And although I can't be the Original Owner of any of the Amazing Spider-man books I get. I can at least be the Original Comic Slab Owner of the Amazing Spider-man series from 1-441. Why is this important to me? Because in a sense I feel more part of the process. I am the one who decides if it's good enough to be slabbed or not. I can say I built this collection up myself. While to some this is rather trivial, for me it means a lot. To each his own I guess.

I can relate to this. About 95% of my books are purchased raw and submitted.

PLEASE PEOPLE STOP CALLING MODERN BOOK AS LATE 70'S TO NOW

GOOD FREAKIN GOD

MODERN BOOKS ARE FROM 1990 TO NOW

*70's are all bronze age period

*80's are copper age

*90's should be called the garbage age, expect for pre-unity valiant

and i dont want to hear that copper age went to 1996 or like that.

jeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

lol