• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 Oct. Issue!

116 posts in this topic

I saw that auction while surfing ebay earlier today. If I had that kind of $ laying around, I would consider making a stab it. There must be something terribly wrong for it to have been graded a 1.8. From the various photos, the book is looking like a VG.

What is it that the seller is not showing us?

They are saying that it DOESN'T have brittle pages (except for the first story lol ) What they fail to realize is that CGC will state brittle pages even if only one page in the whole book is brittle

Should be interesting to see what kinds of offers they will get on this book.. But hey, it's an Oct. copy though!

What was the story on Popscomics anyways? I recall seeing a thread about them here over the summer... hm Was it suggested to not buy from them?

I think that's the longest auction description I've ever read.

....well, if you click on all the hidden auction info, you can find all sorts of little gems.......check out this one about me :acclaim:

( you have to scroll about 1/2 way down )

http://members.cox.net/popscomics/biddernote.htm

I didn't even know it was there until Esquirecomics brought it to my attention last year. It is nice to be loved and appreciated :luhv:

I think that's the longest auction description I've ever read.

....well, if you click on all the hidden auction info, you can find all sorts of little gems.......check out this one about me :acclaim:

( you have to scroll about 1/2 way down )

http://members.cox.net/popscomics/biddernote.htm

I didn't even know it was there until Esquirecomics brought it to my attention last year. It is nice to be loved and appreciated :luhv:

Wow! lol

Reading that little diatribe has certainly convinced me to avoid their ebay store!

EDIT: Because obviously, I would have bought that Marvel 1 otherwise. Seriously though, it's a very special comic in any condition. Wouldn't an auction format be better suited to something so rare?

I believe it graded 1.8 due to the brittle page designation....from my experience, cgc really knocks down a comic's grade, due to that (it could otherwise be a 4.0, but the brittle pages is the "killer")...and, from looking at the interior scans, I do agree that the first few pages (right edge esp), with the chipping, validate the brittleness (to what degree, no way to know without holding/feeling it)....but the later interior pictures do show nicer pages, so that is comforting to know...

so I concur with their auction description that the book looks much nicer that the assigned grade....

I had a book that cgc noted "slightly brittle" pages, and there were 2 small areas where tape had been, that had weakened the pages, in just those 2 little areas, but the rest of the book (99.9%) was cr to ow...so, sometimes, knowing the history of the book, can affect my consideration of the PQ notation (I wish cgc would break it down and say 3-4 pages had brittle edges, rest of book cr/ow)...would give a "truer" indication... by stating "brittle" pages, the casual collector might otherwise assume they are all brittle, which is not nec true..

If I wasn't so darned determined to get that KC copy coming up in the clink auction (stubborness, I guess)...I would strongly consider this copy, based on the interior pictures taken...

Buy it - have 2 :baiting:

as much as I would love to have both, my name ain't 1Koko, so I don't have the juice to hold multiple major keys lol

and 1kokokid(s) are already taken :P

so, adoption is out of the question... :sorry:

Wow, I had a couple hours this morning to try and get caught up on the boards and actually wasted a good portion of it just reading that auction description and feedback rants. What a doozy.. doh!

Still a nice book btw

Wow, I had a couple hours this morning to try and get caught up on the boards and actually wasted a good portion of it just reading that auction description and feedback rants. What a doozy.. doh!

Yeah... It's not every $30K auction that refers to past buyers as "conniving mor ons". :cloud9:

In the interest of adding something constructive (though off-topic) ... I see that Fred Schwab drew the IFC of Marvel Comics #1!

That means Schwab did work for DC (Double Action 2 IFC), Timely (Marvel 1), Centaur (numerous covers & fillers) and Fox (numerous fillers) between 1937 and 1940. Not too shabby. :applause:

50747-insidefc.jpg.c202d1cbb3642012077714f16da7f904.jpg