• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,195 posts in this topic

tarzanart.jpg

J.R., I bought this one including shipping for 85.00 from him a few months ago. He had started the bidding at 25.00. At auction end he told me he meant to start it at 250.00 and didn't realize he left out a zero. He said he would honor the auction though.

The painting is nice and is an original. But, he still lists the same painting for sale which I guess means he either paints the same thing over and over or he somehow mass produces them.

Don't know if that tells you anything or not.

David

Edited by Comics-n-ERB

tarzanart.jpg

J.R., I bought this one including shipping for 85.00 from him a few months ago. He had started the bidding at 25.00. At auction end he told me he meant to start it at 250.00 and didn't realize he left out a zero. He said he would honor the auction though.

The painting is nice and is an original. But, he still lists the same painting for sale which I guess means he either paints the same thing over and over or he somehow mass produces them.

Don't know if that tells you anything or not.

David

That does help. Thanks David!!

For those of you not on the PulpMags mailing list.

Here's what Doug Ellis has sent yesterday:

"the upcoming Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 23-25, 2010) will feature a Friday night estate auction. This year, the material will be drawn from the estate of collector Peter Scollo and his 10,000+ pulp collection."

"If you're drawing a blank [on Peter Scollo], it's not your fault. I'd never heard of him either; as far as I know, he never attended Pulpcon or Windy City and I don't think he bought much from the "usual" dealers (John's database, which goes way back, shows that he only purchased a few things from Adventure House). Yet he apparently had over 10,000 pulps, thousands of golden & silver age comics, dime novels and a large SF collection, including all the Burroughs hardcovers, firsts, in jacket (and to forestall folks who may have a further question, the ERB hardcover collection has been purchased by a noted ERB collector). My guess is he accumulated this material before the days of organized pulp fandom, so this will be "new" material coming into our hobby, which is pretty exciting. It does make you wonder how many other "unknown" major collections may be out there."

So, for those hunting those ERB hardcovers, that's a few more you won't be able to purchase :sorry: in the open market unless the noted ERB collector lets go of his undercopies.

For those interested I did a little write-up on the upcoming Adventure House auction/sale of the Darrell Richardson collection for The Cimmerian. My focus was on the REH material, particularly the Gent from Bear Creek first, but there's some useful links for those who haven't preorder the catalogs yet.

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=11051

Me too - I can't wait to see what's in there. I know about some of the REH stuff because John G. sent me some info and pics for my write-up, but with 17,000 listings who knows what's in there. Man I wish I was rich. :)

I'm hoping for some cheap long runs of "adventure" pulps :wishluck:

For those interested I did a little write-up on the upcoming Adventure House auction/sale of the Darrell Richardson collection for The Cimmerian. My focus was on the REH material, particularly the Gent from Bear Creek first, but there's some useful links for those who haven't preorder the catalogs yet.

Nice write up Theagenes!

I best stay away from the Richardson catalog... temptation, temptation.

For those interested I did a little write-up on the upcoming Adventure House auction/sale of the Darrell Richardson collection for The Cimmerian.

Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if any of the J. Allen St. John artwork will be for sale?

I'm not sure, but wouldn't that be amazing to own one of those. :cloud9:

I'll let you know when the catalog gets here.

I've been reading this one. The cover story is about a group of young mutants that are secreted away by an old man to protect them from persecution by normal humans. The group includes a winged man, a guy with eyes that can kill if he uncovers them, a female cyclops who can see for great distances, an evil genious, and a telepathic empath.

Sound familiar at all?

TWSApr47.jpg