• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

I've come to really like some of these detective-themed pulps from the 30s.

Here's one I picked up from 1930... IMO, a neat cover image that would look right at home on an early issue of Detective Comics.

92794.jpg

Great cover!

Im currently reading the "Port of Peril" by Otis Adelbert Kline. Its the third in the Buccaneers of Venus series from the 30s

I cant remember what magazine it was originally in but it is amazing how these Pulps reflect the attitudes of the times.

Nearly all Orientals are depicted as mysterious, and scary in these periodicals. In particular in "The port of Peril" The "yellow race of Men" in the Book are described negativly and in a stereotypical way that would be completly racist by todays standards, and rightly so.

I have noticed this to a degree reading other authors of the same time period.

Im guessing this was probably due to the years leading up to World War 2 and the publics feeling towards Asians at the times.

Great reading by truly great authors but you really need to remember the times they were written when you read them.

Not judging the authors of the day, just making an observation. hm

I've come to really like some of these detective-themed pulps from the 30s.

Here's one I picked up from 1930... IMO, a neat cover image that would look right at home on an early issue of Detective Comics.

92794.jpg

Great cover!

Im currently reading the "Port of Peril" by Otis Adelbert Kline. Its the third in the Buccaneers of Venus series from the 30s

I cant remember what magazine it was originally in but it is amazing how these Pulps reflect the attitudes of the times.

Nearly all Orientals are depicted as mysterious, and scary in these periodicals. In particular in "The port of Peril" The "yellow race of Men" in the Book are described negativly and in a stereotypical way that would be completly racist by todays standards, and rightly so.

I have noticed this to a degree reading other authors of the same time period.

Im guessing this was probably due to the years leading up to World War 2 and the publics feeling towards Asians at the times.

Great reading by truly great authors but you really need to remember the times they were written when you read them.

Not judging the authors of the day, just making an observation. hm

Bronzilla, I share your appreciation of how these stories reflect the attitudes and beliefs of the times. That's definitely one of the appeal of pulps generally. It's interesting how women are depicted too.

I haven't read a ton of pulps, but one of the things that I'm struck by is the almost total lack of religion in them (and this is true of comics as well). If an alien from another planet read these stories they would have no idea that they were produced by a largely Christian culture that has a significant percentage of practicing, devout citizens.

"The Port of Peril" was originally titled "Buccaneers of Venus" and was serialized in Weird Tales, November 1932 - April 1933.

weirdtales193211.jpg

weirdtales193212.jpg

This issue also included the first Conan story, "The Phoenix on the Sword."

(worship) Do you have any udercopies for sale?

Thats seriously the best copy I have ever seen. Judging by the front cover what I can see, I would bet there are none nicer.

weirdtales193212.jpg

This issue also included the first Conan story, "The Phoenix on the Sword."

(worship) Do you have any udercopies for sale?

Thats seriously the best copy I have ever seen. Judging by the front cover what I can see, I would bet there are none nicer.

I agree, if those Weird Tales are real, they are worth a fortune. Looks like they were printed yesterday.

weirdtales193212.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

All those Weird Tales are from an original owner collection that I purchased over 35 years ago. Every pulp magazine and every hard cover book that was part of the collection is in the same immaculate condition.

weirdtales193212.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

All those Weird Tales are all from an original owner collection that I purchased over 35 years ago. Every book and magazine in the collection was in the same immaculate condition.

I thank the gods that such copies exist. (worship)