• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,230 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2024 at 12:58 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

This finally arrived today.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Cool, there are already 10 copies of that have been graded!

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 6:27 AM, GACollectibles said:

Cool, there are already 10 copies of that have been graded!

Makes me wonder what the most graded pulp is.  Skimming around, March 1950 Startling stories (witch cover) is at 18.  First planet stories is at 17.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 5/19/2024 at 10:04 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Scored this pulp yesterday at a local con. The dealer only had one short box of pulps, with not much of interest except for the January 1950 issue of Startling Stories.

Scan1550.JPG

Nice! :applause:

On 5/22/2024 at 7:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This just in. I never would have even looked twice at this silly cover when it was cheap dreck, but now that everybody seems to think it's the Bee's Knee's, I had to grab one when I saw it priced like a value meal :insane:

20240522_185834.thumb.jpg.b35702498155dba1b61d2d2947ae16d7.jpg

The spine is chipped but hey, you can't re-sell a value meal for millions of dollars lol

Woof

Universal05.thumb.jpg.d568fdcc6f8927404768115ac4bb3012.jpg

On 5/22/2024 at 4:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This just in. I never would have even looked twice at this silly cover when it was cheap dreck, but now that everybody seems to think it's the Bee's Knee's, I had to grab one when I saw it priced like a value meal :insane:

20240522_185834.thumb.jpg.b35702498155dba1b61d2d2947ae16d7.jpg

The spine is chipped but hey, you can't re-sell a value meal for millions of dollars lol

It was retitled for the book version.

I feel like I recognize the upper half of that cover with the female matador.  I checked it against a one-shot magazine from 1956 called True Woman's Aventures I remember, but it's a different painting:

https://www.pulpinternational.com/pulp/entry/Cover-and-scans-from-True-Womans-Adventures-magazine-circa-1956.html

On 5/22/2024 at 10:17 PM, Darwination said:

I feel like I recognize the upper half of that cover with the female matador.  I checked it against a one-shot magazine from 1956 called True Woman's Aventures I remember, but it's a different painting:

https://www.pulpinternational.com/pulp/entry/Cover-and-scans-from-True-Womans-Adventures-magazine-circa-1956.html

There's a high likelyhood that it was re-used somewhere as almost all Universal Publishing covers were. The bottom photo cover was re-used on a Beacon Book for sure, my copy is buried right now but I'm sure of it. The top might not have been on a Beacon due to it's seeming unsuitability for sleaze  but those thrifty em-effers would have re-used it somewhere.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 9:41 PM, OtherEric said:

Universal05.thumb.jpg.d568fdcc6f8927404768115ac4bb3012.jpg

It was retitled for the book version.

I do have to say, the contents were pretty good for a Fantastic, the Lieber novel and a Bloch short story (thumbsu

P.S. and a pretty amusing letter from a young "Bob Silverberg" of Brooklyn, NY :)

Edited by Surfing Alien
Silverberg

On 5/23/2024 at 9:38 PM, comicjack said:

Thrilling Mystery doesn't get the love they should those are great covers 

Cheers Jack. I think it's one of those titles where the best ones don't often up for sale, leaving the more run-of-the-mill ones to represent. (There have been strong sales of the better ones on HA.) I really dig the run overall.  (thumbsu

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 9:42 PM, Point Five said:

Cheers Jack. I think it's one of those titles where the best ones don't often up for sale, leaving the more run-of-the-mill ones to represent. (There have been strong sales of the better ones on HA.) I really dig the run overall.  (thumbsu

I do to when i find them you are doing a good job at that; finding them :smile:

Edited by comicjack