• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,195 posts in this topic

I thought I would post the VERY RARE Canadian ONE SHOT entitled Eerie Tales from my collection, published in Toronto in 1941. There are only a few copies in existence. I acquired my copy from the personal collection of Jerry Weist:

j103a-1.jpg

A little history on this pulp, cited from Don Hutchinson, a recognized authority on vintage pulp magazines:

"Eerie Tales had boasted on its cover: "Every Story Original." Published by C.K. Publishing Co. of Toronto, the magazine made good on its claim but unfortunately lasted only one issue. It is now probably the rarest of all the so-called CanPulps. Once again Thomas P Kelley ("The Horror Man" as the cover proclaimed) dominated the fledgling publication with one story and the beginning of a serial written under his own name plus a number of other pseudonymous gems bearing titles like "Horror in the Dungeon," and "The Phantom Trooper." Under the Valentine Worth cognomen he even retooled his "I Killed Hitler" story as "I Killed Mussolini."

"Unfortunately Eerie Tales was too little and too late. With the end of World War II Canada's embargo on foreign magazines was lifted and hundreds of vibrant, exciting pulp titles began flooding on to newsstands just as they had in the pre-war glory days. The undernourished and unexciting CanPulps quietly faded away, leaving little impression at all. Canada's only pulp era had been created by the war. Like the war, it soon passed into history."

Very, very cool stuff. :applause:

I thought I would post the VERY RARE Canadian ONE SHOT entitled Eerie Tales from my collection, published in Toronto in 1941. There are only a few copies in existence. I acquired my copy from the personal collection of Jerry Weist:

j103a-1.jpg

A little history on this pulp, cited from Don Hutchinson, a recognized authority on vintage pulp magazines:

"Eerie Tales had boasted on its cover: "Every Story Original." Published by C.K. Publishing Co. of Toronto, the magazine made good on its claim but unfortunately lasted only one issue. It is now probably the rarest of all the so-called CanPulps. Once again Thomas P Kelley ("The Horror Man" as the cover proclaimed) dominated the fledgling publication with one story and the beginning of a serial written under his own name plus a number of other pseudonymous gems bearing titles like "Horror in the Dungeon," and "The Phantom Trooper." Under the Valentine Worth cognomen he even retooled his "I Killed Hitler" story as "I Killed Mussolini."

"Unfortunately Eerie Tales was too little and too late. With the end of World War II Canada's embargo on foreign magazines was lifted and hundreds of vibrant, exciting pulp titles began flooding on to newsstands just as they had in the pre-war glory days. The undernourished and unexciting CanPulps quietly faded away, leaving little impression at all. Canada's only pulp era had been created by the war. Like the war, it soon passed into history."

Super nice! Is she feeling up her boobie??? hehe!

Edited by Comics-n-ERB

Went to the Windy City Pulp and Paper show this past weekend and had lot's of fun! Here's some of what I picked up, more to come later!

bluebook10-31.jpg

VERY jealous you got to attend Windy City! Nice haul so far, looking forward to seeing the rest of the goodies!

Take a while to scan Ryan, somewhere around 100 + pulps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow, there's been some amazing activity in this thread since I last checked! Those Shadow covers are stunning. Love the one with the finger of death.

I just finished reading this Thrilling Wonder Stories, which has another great story by Leigh Brackett. It takes place on Earth in the future...a passing star has slowed Earth's orbit so that it no longer rotates, and there is a side of the planet that is always day and the is eternal night. Pretty cool!

There is also a letter from reader Isaac Asimov, who closes his commentary with the phrase "Nuff Said."

TWSDec1950.jpg

Just arrived this copy of WT Feb 33, courtesy of RyanH from the Forrest Ackerman collection: :whee:

WTFeb33.jpg

Been looking for a VGish copy of this for a while, in order complete my run of WT Allen St John Buccaneers of Venus covers.

Now I only need 8 more Brundage WT covers to complete that particular run ;)

Thank you so much Ryan :foryou:

Edited by eccomic

That one reminds me a little of that really early WT with a similar Spider Web scene on the cover. It was like the 5th or 6th issue as I remember.

I never owned it but I allways admired it!

Something about a guy or gal trapped in a spider web!!! Great stuff!!!