• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,254 posts in this topic

I doubt it was for a portfolio, but it occurs to me that it might have been used for an interior illustration in a novel. Some of his more polished work was printed as such. Maybe an Arkham book? Nevertheless, Finlay did do some rather detailed work, even for the low paying pulps, and the rather salacious subject matter of this cat fight kinda lends itself to that market. And speaking of pulps......... :gossip:

"rather detailed work" seems to be the understatement of the year.

Finlay used stippling ( linky ) for many works like this one. It's labor intensive and requires dedication and talent on the part of artist but makes the work distinctive in print and a pleasure to behold in person.

I'd like to know the process he used to produce some of these...

Finlay3.jpg

Finlay used stippling ( linky ) for many works like this one. It's labor intensive and requires dedication and talent on the part of artist but makes the work distinctive in print and a pleasure to behold in person.

Finlay3.jpg

The dots thing does seem labor intensive. Hard to believe he did that by hand. I'm sure there's some digital way to do it today!

Finlay3.jpg

The dots thing does seem labor intensive. Hard to believe he did that by hand. I'm sure there's some digital way to do it today!

It's incredibly labor intensive and requires concentration and control of the first order.

Finlay3.jpg

It would be hard to digitally do it and get the same effect. Finlay never let the pen nib touch the paper. He held the nib above the paper and the ink would drop, one drip at a time. His method was laborious, but created a beautiful effect. The drops were never uniform, so computers would have a hard time duplicating.

I'm curious as to where you heard that about Finlay, that would cause a much less controlled effect, it appears he just knew exactly how to touch the paper. The technique with many short lines is actually a lot tougher than stippling itself, much harder to control because while a dot is a dot, being circular, every line has a direction and connotation based on how it's placed.

I can't remember where I read it, it was a long time ago. Might be a fanzine I know longer own. Though It seems unusual, if you hit the paper too many times, it bends the nib. This prevents that from happening.

I tried letting a drop of ink hit a piece of paper once. It ain't easy.

Edited by comixnoir

Finlay3.jpg

It would be hard to digitally do it and get the same effect. Finlay never let the pen nib touch the paper. He held the nib above the paper and the ink would drop, one drip at a time. His method was laborious, but created a beautiful effect. The drops were never uniform, so computers would have a hard time duplicating.

That seems hard to believe!

I continue to pick up Thrilling Wonder Stories issues...there's so much to offer in this series for relatively cheap. This issue has a story by Bradbury, John D. McDonald, and a fantastic fantasy yarn from Leigh Brackett, who is swiftly becoming one of my favorite sci-fi writers. On top of that it has the typical gorgeous illos by Finlay, not to mention a great painted cover by Bergey.

TWSOct1948.jpg

Thought I'd add this tidbit from an ad in the back of this issue: "Pulvex flea powder...with 5% DDT!...Many home uses" :eek:

Finlay3.jpg

This passage from the Book of Virgil Finlay is not only a testament to the skill of Finlay, but a testament to how little you know!

finlaytechnique.jpg

Finlay3.jpg

This passage from the Book of Virgil Finlay is not only a testament to the skill of Finlay, but a testament to how little you know!

finlaytechnique.jpg

Very interesting, thanks for posting. It doesn't sound like he dripped ink onto the page, but rather touched the ink drop at the end of the pen to the page. That sounds a little more "controlled" than I was picturing with dropping ink.

It's a far cry from Charlie Brown trying to write his pen pal in ink!