• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,193 posts in this topic

I have just acquired a showcase to display my 1930's Shadow Blue Coal Cape. This goes well with my 1940 Street & Smith (pulp magazine) Hat & Cape with the Original Box.

Below is the write-up from "Lelands" for my Blue Coal Shadow Salesman Cape.

"The Holy Grail of radio premiums. Real cloth cape is just like the one that would have been worn by Lamont Cranston and his alter ego The Shadow. This brilliant character created by Walter B. Gibson under the penname Maxwell Grant. The Shadow was one of the most popular and without a doubt one of the coolest from radio’s golden days of the 1930s. Popularized in the pulp magazines and then onto the radio waves and voiced at one time by boy wonder Orson Welles. Sponsored by Blue Coal, the verso of the cape sports a beautifully screened image of the “The Shadow” in swirling mysterious smoke logo with “Blue Coal” inside the fair if the final “W.” The cape also sports a blue collar to match the name of the sponsor. A full sized cape that is unused and NRMT."

The Shadow Cape was given to Blue Coal's top salesmen to keep for themselves or to give away to their best clients.

Pic2-1.jpg

Pic3-1.jpgpic4-1.jpg

Pic1-1.jpgPic7-1.jpg

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

I have just acquired a showcase to display my 1930's Shadow Blue Coal Cape. This goes well with my 1940 Street & Smith (pulp magazine) Hat & Cape with the Original Box.

Below is the write-up from "Lelands" for my Blue Coal Shadow Salesman Cape.

"The Holy Grail of radio premiums. Real cloth cape is just like the one that would have been worn by Lamont Cranston and his alter ego The Shadow. This brilliant character created by Walter B. Gibson under the penname Maxwell Grant. The Shadow was one of the most popular and without a doubt one of the coolest from radio’s golden days of the 1930s. Popularized in the pulp magazines and then onto the radio waves and voiced at one time by boy wonder Orson Welles. Sponsored by Blue Coal, the verso of the cape sports a beautifully screened image of the “The Shadow” in swirling mysterious smoke logo with “Blue Coal” inside the fair if the final “W.” The cape also sports a blue collar to match the name of the sponsor. A full sized cape that is unused and NRMT."

The Shadow Cape was given to Blue Coal's top salesmen to keep for themselves or to give away to their best clients.

Pic2-1.jpg

Pic3-1.jpgpic4-1.jpg

Pic1-1.jpgPic7-1.jpg

Dwight

:applause::cloud9:(worship)

Wow, the colors just pop on that one! That collection sure had some sweet books in it. I'll have to scan the two I picked up and share them too.

There are still some nice ones left too. I'm tempted to upgrade a few. Here's the other one I got from that collection. First Bran Mak Morn and my favorite REH story.

1932-11fcsm.jpg

1932-11int.jpg

Jeff,

In my limited experience (I say limited but have several hundred pulps in my collection) with pulps it doesn't seem that the pulp world in general gets very hanged up on trimming like the comic book world does.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking?

I do know that you have posted several times concerning trimming and that you don't like it.

Always looking to learn things,

David

It's a pretty serious flaw, but it doesn't draw the kind of over-the-top hatred that it receives in the comic book world (due to the Ewert scandal). I have seen people on these boards say in all seriousness that all trimmed comics should be destroyed---as though that's not worse than the trimming itself. In the pulp world it's treated a little more rationally---it's missing paper---it is what it is.

So am I right that in your line of thinking a trimmed pulp doesn't have as much value as a untrimmed copy?

If so, what do you think the ratio is?

Were any of the pulps you bought from Jerry on Ebay trimmed? If so, did you request to return them?

I'm pretty sure that at least one I bought is trimmed. It doesn't bother me too much though.

Oh, they're definately worth less, how much probably depends on scarity. If you're talking about one of those early ERB All-Storys it's probably not a big deal as they're really rare in any condition. If it's a more common pulp like a later WT then it's more of a problem. That said, many of Jerry Weist pulps were described as trimmed, but yet people bid on them as though they were untrimmed. I was shocked at some of the prices realized for those trimmed pulps. I have to wonder if some people didn't read the descriptions well enough. Was yours disclosed as trimmed? I think I got the one WT that wasn't trimmed---lots of overhang.

Remember, though, that these were banged out quickly on a web press. There may well be trimming inconsistencies between copies of the same issue that occurred during production.

That's true in general, but I don't believe the top and bottom were trimmed at all at this point on WT, so all the artwork should be present on the top and bottom edges.

The factory printing process on pulps is was very inconsistent.

Basically they took a cover and glued it to an interior. Sometimes the overhangs are equal on all sides. Sometimes they are flush length-wise on the front cover and thus have a much larger overhang (lengthwise) on the back cover, and vice versa. The same could take pace with the overhangs on the top and bottom of the pulp. If the pulps are in the era where there definately are overhangs and they are flush on the front and back cover (along the length), or flush on both the top and the bottom, then you probably have trimming (and it was done alot especially along the front length and even along the bottom of the FC as they would display them standing up).

Remember, the size of the overhang various from publisher to publisher and the era that they were printed in.

It definately affects the value, and I personally hate any type of trimming.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

I've only been grabbing pulps on any sort of regular basis for a year or two, unless you count the digests as well. I've got a mixed but fairly large collection of those. Mostly I'm trying to put together the work of certain writers. But I've gotten a few nice odds and ends; I'm trying to get at least one of every major character pulp. (Now if I can just figure out which ones actually count at "major"...)

BlackBookDetective49March.jpg

Had this one for years. The Black Bat stories aren't that great but the covers are just wonderful.

CaptainFuture42Summer.jpg

I've actually got all the Captain Future appearances in Startling Stories, but only 3 in his own title. Was Edmond Hamilton the only author working on a series who got to use his own name, or have I forgotten somebody?

DocSavageCan4212.jpg

In my admittedly limited experience, the Canadian editions like this are fairly scarce. While I may not be looking for that many of the original pulps on Doc, I do have the full run of Bantam paperbacks.

Shadow4809.jpg

Not in the greatest shape, but I'm pretty sure this is the only line drawn cover in the entire run of the Shadow. Once again, a series I mostly read in reprints; I just recently finished off the Pyramid/Jove run. Why is it that dealers who know enough to slap a higher price on the books don't know enough to clearly mark which of the two Steranko covers the book actually has?

Whisperer4106.jpg

Got this for $5 a few months ago; I really need to sit down and read it.

There is one character pulp I'm trying to put together a full run on, though, and I'm about 2/3 of the way there. It's one that doesn't seem to have got a lot of love in this thread, though. Let me correct that with a few of my copies.

Op501.jpg

Op511.jpg

Op537.jpg

Still need 3 of the Purple Invasion issues, what an unique and fun series within a series that was.

Back cover of this issue:

Op537bc.jpg

I really want to hate cigarette ads on general principles. But the Chesterfields ads just blow me away time after time with just how good they look.

Op542.jpg

It's faint and obscured by the cover art, but as near as I can tell the stamp on the cover says Library of Congress, Periodical Division. Which leaves me wondering how the heck the book got to me...

Op547.jpg

Op548.jpg

Pretty sure this is the only character pulp to end on an unresolved cliffhanger, unless you want to extend the definition to include John Carter.