• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
24 24

9,315 posts in this topic

Have you read Max Collins's The Hindenburg Murders?

Nope... I'll seek it out.

I'm somewhat surprised that the pulps never mined that event.

Maybe it was taboo to go there. Like fiction about 9-11 would be today.

I think you're right.... along with the Lindbergh kidnapping and murder (another huge New Jersey event).

By the way, has anyone here read Robert Sampson's series on dime novels and pulps called Yesterday's Faces? I'm reading volume 1, Glory Days, right now and am really enjoying it. Sampson read a MEGATON of books for this research, I'm sure. He's providing details of decades worth of dime novels (Frank Merriweather, Nick Carter, Buffalo Bill, etc.). I read a terrific article of his in Dime Novel Round-Up in which he covered a series of western pulps... over 35 volumes of 200 pages each, in order to write this article. This guy was a researcher's researcher. Did anyone here know him?

I had my wife (who plows through fiction faster than me) read 'The Pearl Harbor Murders' to see if my dad was in there as he was apparently entertainment liason at Pearl and hung with ERB, Jack Benny, flew FDR around, etc. No mention of the Admiral, but Gina did ask: "Does this guy write for comic books?"

Here's Yvor Winters take on dirigible disaster...

img911.jpg

Mark,

according to the Bookery Guide (come on, Tim, can't you answer the man directly :baiting: ) -

Federal Agent (Dell) is listed as Uncommon and the last 4 issues are scarcer than first 4 [Last four are May through November 1937] You show 2 of the scarcer ones.

Feds, The (S & S) is listed as Uncommon to Scarce

and Thrilling Spy Stories (Standard) are Somewhat Common (which I would have guessed being later books).

Sorry-- just now saw this! But yes-- that pretty much covers it, other than all of the detective / mystery / spy pulps seem to be getting scarcer each passing year. Obviously, they are still out there... but they aren't changing hands very often. SF pulps are still relatively easy to obtain.

Less than 20 ft (6.1 m) shorter than Hindenburg, she and her sister—Akron—were among the largest flying objects in the world in terms of length and volume. Although the hydrogen-filled Hindenburg was longer, the two sisters still hold the world record for helium-filled airships. Akron crashed too. Macon went down Feb12 1935 in Monterey Bay CA losing 2 of a crew of 76. seen here over NYC

350px-USSMaconNYC.jpg

Less than 20 ft (6.1 m) shorter than Hindenburg, she and her sister—Akron—were among the largest flying objects in the world in terms of length and volume. Although the hydrogen-filled Hindenburg was longer, the two sisters still hold the world record for helium-filled airships. Akron crashed too. Macon went down Feb12 1935 in Monterey Bay CA losing 2 of a crew of 76. seen here over NYC

350px-USSMaconNYC.jpg

I wish I could have looked up and seen one of these massive ships in the air. It must have been some sight.

I'm still working on the first one, but I expect that any fan of dime novels/pulps would enjoy reading them.

The first one is particularly good since it delves into characters that are mostly unknown these days + I liked his coverage IIRC of Arsène Lupin whose adventures are thankfully still available in print though in French. I assume that the Gutenberg project does carry him as well though I can't guess how extensively.

I will admit that while I have other volumes, I've yet to find time to read them ...

The Hindenburg Murders if you do not know the premise of the Collins's Disaster series takes historical events to which a foremost fiction writer is connected and weaves the historical facts with murders. Though not on his last voyage, Leslie Charteris was on board for its maiden voyage. Collins put Charteris on the final flight of the Hindenburg, solving a murder mystery. I thought the book was well crafted.

I also enjoyed The War of the Worlds Murder in which Walter Gibson is weaved in with Welles and the famous broadcast. The murder plot therein is much weaker than in the Hindenburg Murder book though ...

And, Pat, Volume 2 of Sampson's Yesterday's Faces covers (these are chapter headings):

Willemite Fluorescing

The Dream Men

Strange Days

Bumudemutomuro

Influence

Shadows of Other Suns

... so it seems that's a volume you would very much enjoy.

Michaël

350px-USSMaconNYC.jpg

I wish I could have looked up and seen one of these massive ships in the air. It must have been some sight.

i'm trying to do some video searches now.

here's a universal newsreel from april 24, 1933 showing the uss macon on its trial flight.

that airship is big! there are some views looking up at it. :)

I used to think the Goodyear Blimp was big. One of them (I think there were three total) was stationed in Houston and used to fly around the city regularly. At Christmas time it was especially cool when they would be all lit up. But those old blimps were huge!

I used to think the Goodyear Blimp was big. One of them (I think there were three total) was stationed in Houston and used to fly around the city regularly. At Christmas time it was especially cool when they would be all lit up. But those old blimps were huge!

Occasionally, two blimps would circle around the city. I worked on the ninth floor in the Medical Center facing Downtown Houston and we had a terrific view.

Rigid dirigibles were huge compared to blimps. The stiff alloy structures of the Zeppelins were lifted by hydrogen which may have been a little less dense than helium but more dangerous.

3245927480_0e520b64a8_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun