• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,155 posts in this topic

That's crazy. Maybe he thought he was bidding on the run. lol

And he's the only bidder. Why does it show his max bid? That's weird.

It is not like ebay where an item could be at $400.00, and you put a $2000.00 max. bid in on it, knowing that it will not sell that high but wanting to make sure that you win the item. Then maybe a couple other bidders bid, and you end up getting it for $500.00 etc.

In this auction, once you put your max bid in, that is your bid, and it will show $2000.00 on the site, and you are locked in at that bid, unless you call John ahead of time and tell him that you did not realize that this is what is happening.

I talked with a couple of strong bidders and they had no idea that this is how the bidding was being done.

It is completely different than ebay.

Dwight

That seems like a super-odd system. So you can only bid once, your maximum bid, and the whole world can see it?? Or am I misunderstanding something? (shrug) I've never seen an auction where all bidders can see your maximum bid.

I think that was an error in their bidding program. I noticed that the bid for the Spider pulp is now listed at $250.

[font:Arial Black][font:Arial]It is not like ebay where an item could be at $400.00, and you put a $2000.00 max. bid in on it, knowing that it will not sell that high but wanting to make sure that you win the item. Then maybe a couple other bidders bid, and you end up getting it for $500.00 etc.

In this auction, once you put your max bid in, that is your bid, and it will show $2000.00 on the site, and you are locked in at that bid, unless you call John ahead of time and tell him that you did not realize that this is what is happening.

I talked with a couple of strong bidders and they had no idea that this is how the bidding was being done.[/font]. [/font]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font:Arial]There was no error in the bidding program, just an error on the side of the bidder.

This is what happened.

I phoned John and let him know about the bids the guy had placed thinking that he might have done what I explained above, and right away John figured that the person might have not read the auction bidding rules closely enough and immediately emailed the bidder (which not many auction houses would have done).

If this was the case, John was going to allow the guy to retract the bid and replace his bid according to the bidding regulations. [/font]

[font:Arial]Yes BZ, once John contacted the guy, sometime late this afternoon, the guy retracted his initial bids, and replaced them with much lower bids[/font].

[font:Arial]Also, while I was on the phone with John, he put further explanations for the bidding procedure on each page of the auctions, (further explaining this to those who did not read the regulations carefully), further alerting everyone who might be bidding not to make the same mistake. This is now further expalined and posted on the each auction page on the website[/font].

[font:Arial]Ryan, providing that the books do not sell as complete run in auction #1, then the bidding on the individual books from the sets that did not sell in auction #1, and all other pulps that were not in these sets, will begin in auction #2.

When bidding, you put in your bid, then the next person has 3 minutes to respond and place a higher bid, if he does you then have 3 more minutes to relpy. Once the 3 minutes had elapsed without a further bid, then the auction is over and you win the item (providing that the reserve has been met). This is much better than Hakes auction where they extend each auction by an hour after a bid, rather than 3 minutes. This method avoids snipes and you can sit back and decide just who is going to outbid whom, head to head.

Note: You can place a bid according to the regular increments, or you can put in a max bid if you want, but do not put in a full maximum bid unless you are prepared to pay it, because you are locked in at that maximum bid[/font].

[font:Arial]Dwight[/font]

Edited by detective35DF

I would say that Jon is a fairly inconsistent grader though my buying experience with him is limited and I am already not good at grading comics and worse at grading pulp. Hopefully, Fuelman will also chime in but last I talked to him, it was also his opinion. Now, this might be true for his regular show stock and I imagine he ran through these books more carefully to get the catalog ready.

Anyone else bought books out of the Richardson collection and could tell us what they thought of the grading?

If John takes his time he can grade well. However, you need to examine the pics very carefully, as some VF graded books can be VF, some FN-, some VF/NM...there is a great deal of fluctuation probably because of the number of books..so look carefully at the scans.

If you have concerns or just want to be sure about a book(s), give him a call and ask him to look at the book again and examine the page quality as well.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

I got a number of items from the Richardson auction. I'd say he's consistent but a bit on the optimistic side when it comes to grading. Nothing drastic, but when he says "VF" is a synonym for perfect, I'd rather say it's very high grade, but certainly not perfect.

Nice! When Finn and I were at the PCA conference last year he was telling about how much Circus Fists was his favorite Costigan story. While we were there I won a low grade copy on ebay really cheap. So when I saw him next at Howard Days I had a surprise for him:

rehdays021.jpg

Didn't know that, nice story. Mark is gonna be proofreading that very story for the third volume of the upcoming REH Foundation's "Complete Boxing Stories" (4 volumes in all, with volumes 2 and 3 devoted to the Costigan stories.)

FightStories-1932-02.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

[font:Arial Black]Finally got a few RARE [font:Arial Black]SHADOW[/font] items that I was waiting for.[/font]

[font:Arial Black]The Blue Coal promotional booklets are 11" x 18" w. the 1932 one being hard cover bound and the other two are heavier cardboard. The covers are worn & tattered, but the interiors are perfect on all of them. They have dozens of pages of promotional advertisements, etc.

I have never seen these before, nor has anyone else, so they extremely rare and early. They are the only known early (& complete) Blue Coal saleman books to known to exist!![/font]

1932ManualcollageW.jpg

193435manualcollageW.jpg

193536ManualCollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]By matching up the images and the writing designs from the Salesman / Promotional manuals, I was able to confirm the dates of my Shadow Blue Coal Trolley Signs[/font].

1932-33BlueCoalManualandTrolleyComparisionsW.jpg

1934-35BlueCoalManualandTrolleyComparisionsW.jpg

"[font:Arial Black]The Goodrich Silvertown News" was put out by Goodrich in 1938. It has the color Shadow ad promoting the Radio Show and the Transcription Discs. The only other Goodrich Shadow items known to exist are locked away in the BF Goodrich Archives in Ohio. Goodrich tires sponsored the Shadow Radio Show in 1938-39[/font]

GoodrichCollage.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The "Picture Play" magazines are from 1932-33. Only a few contained full page ads of "The Shadow".[/font]

PicturePlaymagazinescollageW.jpgPicturePlayCollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The Shadow Blue Coal Ring set (mailer, insert, and ring is tough to find as a complete set in nice shape). It is from the 1930's. The Carey Salt ring is from 1945 and is much rarer. The lapel pins are a little more common. The transcription disc interior design label with the Shadow image is really rare as most of them are obviously on the discs themselves. It is probably from the 1937-39 seasons[/font].

ShadowBlueCoalRingCollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The radio scripts are just a couple more originals to add to my collection. I have a number of the original radio scripts[/font].

ShadowradioscriptscollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Dwight[/font]

Didn't know that, nice story. Mark is gonna be proofreading that very story for the third volume of the upcoming REH Foundation's "Complete Boxing Stories" (4 volumes in all, with volumes 2 and 3 devoted to the Costigan stories.)

I know, I can't wait! Aren't you working on one of those volumes as well?

FightStories-1932-02.jpg

Hey I've got one of those!

FightStories1932-02fcsm.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Finally got a few RARE [font:Arial Black]SHADOW[/font] items that I was waiting for.[/font]

[font:Arial Black]The Blue Coal promotional booklets are 11" x 18" w. the 1932 one being hard cover bound and the other two are heavier cardboard. The covers are worn & tattered, but the interiors are perfect on all of them. They have dozens of pages of promotional advertisements, etc.

I have never seen these before, nor has anyone else, so they extremely rare and early. They are the only known early (& complete) Blue Coal saleman books to known to exist!![/font]

1932ManualcollageW.jpg

193435manualcollageW.jpg

193536ManualCollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]By matching up the images and the writing designs from the Salesman / Promotional manuals, I was able to confirm the dates of my Shadow Blue Coal Trolley Signs[/font].

1932-33BlueCoalManualandTrolleyComparisionsW.jpg

1934-35BlueCoalManualandTrolleyComparisionsW.jpg

"[font:Arial Black]The Goodrich Silvertown News" was put out by Goodrich in 1938. It has the color Shadow ad promoting the Radio Show and the Transcription Discs. The only other Goodrich Shadow items known to exist are locked away in the BF Goodrich Archives in Ohio. Goodrich tires sponsored the Shadow Radio Show in 1938-39[/font]

GoodrichCollage.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The "Picture Play" magazines are from 1932-33. Only a few contained full page ads of "The Shadow".[/font]

PicturePlaymagazinescollageW.jpgPicturePlayCollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The Shadow Blue Coal Ring set (mailer, insert, and ring is tough to find as a complete set in nice shape). It is from the 1930's. The Carey Salt ring is from 1945 and is much rarer. The lapel pins are a little more common. The transcription disc interior design label with the Shadow image is really rare as most of them are obviously on the discs themselves. It is probably from the 1937-39 seasons[/font].

ShadowBlueCoalRingCollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]The radio scripts are just a couple more originals to add to my collection. I have a number of the original radio scripts[/font].

ShadowradioscriptscollageW.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Dwight[/font]

(worship):applause::applause::applause: (thumbs u

Thanks for the replies. I have known about these items for years, but it sometimes takes years to acquire them.

Well, next on my list is to try and find is:

1) Another classic covered Shadow painting (by Rozen)!

2) A high grade Shadow pulp #1 (mine is VG- w. off-white pages).

3) An ultra high grade Shadow Jan.15/33 "The Creeping Death" (I have

four copies but none are high grade...have the darn painting but not a killer

copy of the pulp. I have been told that a couple killer copies surfaced

about 15 years ago but I have yet to track them down.

4) Other rare Shadow items (posters/toys/premiums displays etc.).

**Well, the thrill of the hunt continues!**

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

As I was thumbing through the October 1933 Picture Play magazine, I noticed a another full page advertisement on The Shadow.

This ad made the Shadow sound very eerie and frightening.

[font:Arial Black] "Master of the Night" becomes part of "Blackness Iteself"

"A Strange Weird Creature"

"This Phantom form of Darkness"

"Avenger of Crime"

"Upholder of Justice" [/font]

I then realized that they used some of the catch phrases in one of the rarest and most sought after cardboard advertising signs; circa. 1933.

WAOCcollageJP.jpg

[font:Arial Black]FYI: This sign was reprinted in the 1970's and is still being sold on ebay. You can distinguish between the original and the reprints in a few ways:[/font]

1 a) The Original was produced on Cardboard.

1 b) The Reprint is reproduced on glossy paper.

2 a) The Original has an embossed oval trademark at the bottom, in the center of the border.

2 b) The Reprint has NO trademark

3 a) The Original has "Made in the USA" inked in the bottom right corner.

3 b) The Reprint does not have this written.

[font:Arial Black][font:Arial]4 a) The dimensions of the original cardboard sign are: 11 1/2" x 14 1/2". [/font] [/font]

Edited by detective35DF