• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,206 posts in this topic

Don't know where else to put this but I wanted to post that one of your members. Blbcomics, (Robert Beerbohm) is a thief.

I entered into an agreement with him to purchase 341 pulps (mostly argosy) for $3600.00 last April (2013). He was suppose to have them in the mail within one week. Now as of November (2013), he has still not mailed them nor does he intend to.

He recieved the money through paypal back in April. I've contacted him about twice a month by phone since then. Every two weeks it's another excuse. Usually that he forgot, or he has better things to think about because his daughter is sick with cancer (which is why I offered to buy the pulps in the first place). It's no excuse as I paid him almost 8 months ago now, and he still mails over 200 items a month through his ebay store alone.

He entered into the sale with me on bad faith and pocketed the entire amount of money ($3600.00). He has since sold some of the pulps on ebay. He now ignores my phone calls and has left his voice mailbox full so I can't even leave a message.

It's important to note that he used several of you as references in this transaction. I guess he knows many of you from comicon and the like. Sparklecitycomics and Dwight Fuhro are two of you that I remember offhand, but there are others from the ccg boards.

He stole from me and he is smearing your names through his actions.

Please do not do business with this man. He is a thief.

-Matthew King

Man that really stinks. Anybody know Robert Beerbohm (BLB Comics)?

Have you contacted PayPal or the police about this to find out your options?

I contacted Paypal. They have a 90 day policy. Since he put me off for so long with his stories, I am unable to reverse the transaction. I paid using money in my paypal account too, so a cc reverse is also out of the picture. He lives in Nebraska. I live in Maine. The police are unable to do anything other then take a report. Especially since it wasn't so much theft as I sent him the money freely, as it was outright fraud as he never had any intention of sending me his end of the deal (Illegal but not worth their time to prove). That leaves only civil action and with the costs of lawyers nowadays, I could easily spend four times the amount before I won the case.

The worst part is that he uses his daughters health condition and his business acquaintances as references in pursuit of fraud. Through google searches I can see that he's done this with much smaller amounts to other people before. The guy has even written his own wikipedia entry to help promote himself. The guys otherwise a legitimate businessman. He just like to commit fraud every once in a while to make some extra money. Lastly, I know he's recently disconnected his phone (I guess he doesn't like me calling him so much). I've got his new number but he does not answer that either. It's been 8 months, on a transaction that was supposed to take a week. He's not even making the attempt to hide the theft at this point. He's just ignoring me hoping I go away.

Matthew, here's a thread started on your behalf that may get more eyeballs. You came to the right place to air your problems and hopefully get Bob's attention.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=7190138&Searchpage=1&Main=320719&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post7190138

Everything you say sounds initially credible. However since you're new here, there are some who are questioning your story. There are also some who say they've had similar bad experiences with Mr. Beerbohm. I would like to hear his side of the story, if he would be willing to give it. I also think those who know him personally should pressure him to explain himself, and better yet, pay back the money if this story is true.

One thing you could do would be to document everything and provide screenshots and other evidence showing your side of the story. If you haven't filed a police report, you should, even if you don't think it will ever go anywhere. You should definitely pursue this in every legal way possible. I fully support outing and shaming somebody who has screwed somebody else over on a deal.

I also think those who know him personally should pressure him to explain himself, and better yet, pay back the money if this story is true.

Having been on the BLB not-so-merry-go-round, I will never speak with him again under any circumstances (and I'll wager that there are other Board members who feel the same way).

I don't expect you to take my word for it Doohickamabob. I provided copies of the paypal payment, and email confirming the transaction with Dwight Fuhro a few months ago. I know he's a long time member at the boards and in the pulp/comic community. He can confirm everything I'm saying. I see sacentaur has played the same game with him. How did that turn out. Did you ever get your money back sac? I've done everything I can on my own that is possible at this point Doo. I'm usually not one for forums, but I figured I couldn't let this guy do this to anyone else so I signed up. Unfortunately, it seems he's repeatedly done it alot over time and still seems to get away with it...Thanks the humantorch, I'll check out the link in a second. - M

I contacted Paypal. They have a 90 day policy. Since he put me off for so long with his stories, I am unable to reverse the transaction. I paid using money in my paypal account too, so a cc reverse is also out of the picture. He lives in Nebraska. I live in Maine. The police are unable to do anything other then take a report. Especially since it wasn't so much theft as I sent him the money freely, as it was outright fraud as he never had any intention of sending me his end of the deal (Illegal but not worth their time to prove). That leaves only civil action and with the costs of lawyers nowadays, I could easily spend four times the amount before I won the case.

The worst part is that he uses his daughters health condition and his business acquaintances as references in pursuit of fraud. Through google searches I can see that he's done this with much smaller amounts to other people before. The guy has even written his own wikipedia entry to help promote himself. The guys otherwise a legitimate businessman. He just like to commit fraud every once in a while to make some extra money. Lastly, I know he's recently disconnected his phone (I guess he doesn't like me calling him so much). I've got his new number but he does not answer that either. It's been 8 months, on a transaction that was supposed to take a week. He's not even making the attempt to hide the theft at this point. He's just ignoring me hoping I go away.

Might be worth checking with one of the board's lawyers (there are quite a few of them). One man who may be able to at least offer the best advice is Mark Zaid, who is a GA collector and does occasionally post in this section.

I see sacentaur has played the same game with him. How did that turn out. Did you ever get your money back sac?

No, but then it was never really about the money (a small amount, actually).

Lesson learned (yet once again).

Might be worth checking with one of the board's lawyers (there are quite a few of them). One man who may be able to at least offer the best advice is Mark Zaid, who is a GA collector and does occasionally post in this section.

Matt, these are very serious allegations against a dealer who has a long history in the business (and, yes, I understand Steve and some others have their issues with him as well). I have known Bob for quite some time and I reached out to him after seeing your posts.

There are always two sides to every dispute and there seems to be facts not presented here. But that said I am not focused on the past and who is or is not at fault. I want to resolve this dispute as best and as quickly as I can.

I did confirm you paid for the pulps. Therefore, I have arranged for shipment of the books to you. Please e-mail me at Mark@MarkZaid.com with your current address and I will provide further details.

Let's be clear, I am not getting into the middle of the battle. Instead, I am ending it. So please don't pull me into it with respect to allegations of fault or defending your position. Let it lie and I will get you what you paid for.

Agreed? (thumbs u

Matt, these are very serious allegations against a dealer who has a long history in the business (and, yes, I understand Steve and some others have their issues with him as well). I have known Bob for quite some time and I reached out to him after seeing your posts.

There are always two sides to every dispute and there seems to be facts not presented here. But that said I am not focused on the past and who is or is not at fault. I want to resolve this dispute as best and as quickly as I can.

I did confirm you paid for the pulps. Therefore, I have arranged for shipment of the books to you. Please e-mail me at Mark@MarkZaid.com with your current address and I will provide further details.

Let's be clear, I am not getting into the middle of the battle. Instead, I am ending it. So please don't pull me into it with respect to allegations of fault or defending your position. Let it lie and I will get you what you paid for.

Agreed? (thumbs u

Now, I think that is the coolest thing I've seen on these boards in quite some time :D Well played, Mark :headbang:

Sent you an email esquire. We've also been talking about it in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7197163&fpart=46

I guess he's done this sort of thing at least a few dozen times before. Many other board members are posting about how he stole from them too.

He already has my mailing address and has recieved my current one on at least 4 different occasions. It's just another delaying tactic. But I appreciate any help you can give me. - M

One thing you will learn if you stay on these boards is that Mark is a man of his word. If he says to email him your info and let it lie, then mail him your info and let it lie.

I have no reason to doubt him Pirate. I appreciate any help he's willing to give me. What I doubt is that he'll be in anyway able to impress any sort of action on Bob's part. The guys been doing this for decades. He's had run-in's from doing this stuff many times before. He keeps doing it. As of now I have 100% faith in Mark, and he owes me absolutely nothing. But I have 0% faith in Bob. That's not true. I actually have 100% faith in Bob to do the wrong thing. I'll gladly bury the hatchet and never mention Bob again. But after this amount of time, and the fact that even now after all these board posts hes aware of Bob will not pick up the phone to talk to me. I've got to do sometihng. And waiting and hoping Bob makes right isn't that. Thank you though. - M

One thing you will learn if you stay on these boards is that Mark is a man of his word. If he says to email him your info and let it lie, then mail him your info and let it lie.

+1

This topic should also be left in the Beerbohm thread so not to muddy the pulp section (thumbs u