• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

I'd like to see some Spicy Adventures Stories covers!!! I've only seen a few on these boards!!! Does anyone have them????

I do.

I plan on eventually posting some scans of them.

Here's an old photo that shows a Spicy Mystery. They're pretty nifty, too.

pulps.jpg

:applause:

So how deep are those stacks? Those are a bunch of really scarce books! When did you start collecting these and when did you buy the bulk of them? Do you attend pulp cons?

pulps.jpg

So how deep are those stacks? Those are a bunch of really scarce books! When did you start collecting these and when did you buy the bulk of them? Do you attend pulp cons?

The stacks are deep.

I probably have more pulps than comic books.

Nope, I've never managed to make it to a pulp con.

I got this for my pals Erich and Rebecca when they got married. We're all big Lovecraft fans and the February 1928 issue of Weird Tales is the first printing anywhere of "Call of Cthulhu". The colors on this book are amazing. The red is vibrant and bright and the pages are held in tight, despite the giant bite down the middle from... something. Rats? A dog? Perhaps a tentacled shambling horror from beyond? IA! IA!

Personally, I think the spine damage gives the book some character. It was a great wedding gift!

weirdtales1.jpg

I got this for my pals Erich and Rebecca when they got married. We're all big Lovecraft fans and the February 1928 issue of Weird Tales is the first printing anywhere of "Call of Cthulhu". The colors on this book are amazing. The red is vibrant and bright and the pages are held in tight, despite the giant bite down the middle from... something. Rats? A dog? Perhaps a tentacled shambling horror from beyond? IA! IA!

Personally, I think the spine damage gives the book some character. It was a great wedding gift!

weirdtales1.jpg

Wonderful book with a story that raises its "value" to you way beyond consideration of price.

I've never read Lovecraft and always wonder when I see the name. How is Cthulhu pronounced?

Jack

rat-CHEW! Gesundheit.

I've never read Lovecraft and always wonder when I see the name. How is Cthulhu pronounced?

This site has some thoughts on that. Personally, I pronounce it "KA-thoo-LOO", although some snobby fanboys would probably take issue with that in the same way they take issue with me pronouncing karaoke "KERRIE-OAKIE".

You can read all of HP Lovecraft's works for free on the web, including Call of Cthulhu, by going to this site.

A pulp with a comic... :cloud9:

outofthisworld1.jpg

outofthisworld2.jpg

Anyone know when the first comic was included in a pulp? I know there was the 40's Detective(title escapes me right now) and the previously posted Out of This World. I have this two page ditty from a 12/37 Rangeland Romances pulp, wondering if anyone knows of earlier examples.

pulp.jpg

Anyone know when the first comic was included in a pulp? I know there was the 40's Detective(title escapes me right now) and the previously posted Out of This World. I have this two page ditty from a 12/37 Rangeland Romances pulp, wondering if anyone knows of earlier examples.

This info from http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/dchistory/DCHISTORY-1.htm

November, 1934: Sally the Sleuth by Adolphe Barreaux is the first comic strip published in Spicy Detective. Most of Donenfeld's pulps carry a comic strip after this point.