• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,223 posts in this topic

This was from the secret santa board raffle. Got this in today from Cat (David Merryweather) with an OA bookmark!

Awesome Robot Cover

IMAG2545.jpg

Very nice! Astounding is a really good title. Sweet bookmark, too! Nice job, Cat :applause:

8347194191_bc50e56867_b.jpg

Early Planet Stories between two Bracketts.

Anyone who could write the scripts for "The Big Sleep" and "The Empire Strikes Back" deserves an occasional mention. Leigh was also married to Edmond Hamilton who wrote the Captain Future series.

Beautiful books! :applause:

Anyone who could write the scripts for "The Big Sleep" and "The Empire Strikes Back" deserves an occasional mention. Leigh was also married to Edmond Hamilton who wrote the Captain Future series.

Planet is such a fun title, isn't it? Some really nice action-packed, colorful covers there!

Planet is such a fun title, isn't it? Some really nice action-packed, colorful covers there!

And Captain Future is still in one of the other boxes. I was reading one of the stories in CF and started to think that he inspired Lucas. The two arguing robots, Grag and Ortho, seemed to ring a bell, C3PO and R2D2.

2453023714_58273a504c_b.jpg

Hello,

Just picked up an ultra rare (probably only one known) example of a vintage "[font:Arial Black]OPERATOR 5[/font]" pulp magazine letter from the headquarters Popular Publications.

Besides its rarity, what drew me to it was the [font:Arial Black]Operator 5 letterhead symbol - skull with the 5 in it[/font] (same as the ring), and the heading[font:Arial Black] "Secret Sentinals of America".[/font]

Operator5letter_zps3ae0129c.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Whomever typed the letter made a mistake on the date, the stories listed below were published in 1936, but the date on the letter is 1926[/font]. Before we had computers it was easier just to send the letter as is rather then re-type it. There cannot be too may Operator 5 letters that survived and no one that I have talked to has seen another.

Back in the day, a fan by the name of Mrs. Bedner wrote to the publishers of Operator 5 Pulp Magazine about 2 stories that she liked, “Rockets from Hell” and “War Masters from the Orient”. The publisher wrote back and welcomed her to the ranks of Secret Sentinels of America. The publisher even tries to talk her into buying an Operator 5 ring. The letter is signed Curtis Steele. Operator 5 ran for 48 issues, from April 1934 to November 1939. One final story was written but never published. Stories were credited to "Curtis Steele", which was a house name for writers Frederick C. Davis (#1-20), Emile C. Tepperman (#21-39), and Wayne Rogers (#40-48). Like other such pulps of the day, there were short backup stories by other authors.

Operator5letter2_zpsfed884b6.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Dwight[/font]

Edited by detective35DF

Hello,

Just picked up an ultra rare (probably only one known) example of a vintage "[font:Arial Black]OPERATOR 5[/font]" pulp magazine letter from the headquarters Popular Publications.

Besides its rarity, what drew me to it was the [font:Arial Black]Operator 5 letterhead symbol - skull with the 5 in it[/font] (same as the ring), and the heading[font:Arial Black] "Secret Sentinals of America".[/font]

Operator5letter_zps3ae0129c.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Whomever typed the letter made a mistake on the date, the stories listed below were published in 1936, but the date on the letter is 1926[/font]. Before we had computers it was easier just to send the letter as is rather then re-type it. There cannot be too may Operator 5 letters that survived and no one that I have talked to has seen another.

Back in the day, a fan by the name of Mrs. Bedner wrote to the publishers of Operator 5 Pulp Magazine about 2 stories that she liked, “Rockets from Hell” and “War Masters from the Orient”. The publisher wrote back and welcomed her to the ranks of Secret Sentinels of America. The publisher even tries to talk her into buying an Operator 5 ring. The letter is signed Curtis Steele. Operator 5 ran for 48 issues, from April 1934 to November 1939. One final story was written but never published. Stories were credited to "Curtis Steele", which was a house name for writers Frederick C. Davis (#1-20), Emile C. Tepperman (#21-39), and Wayne Rogers (#40-48). Like other such pulps of the day, there were short backup stories by other authors.

Operator5letter2_zpsfed884b6.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Dwight[/font]

Pretty cool Dwight :applause:

Dwight,

I am so impressed by your ability (and bankroll) to find and obtain these rare items. You are a "true" collector and please keep posting.

You are the Bangzoom of pulp magazines to be sure! :applause:

2239224137_67142a7743_z.jpg

And it was been pointed out before that Grag, the robot on the cover. is probably saving Joan, not abducting her. However, I haven't read the story yet.

Always loved that cover.

And I haven't read my copy yet either.

Dwight,

I am so impressed by your ability (and bankroll) to find and obtain these rare items. You are a "true" collector and please keep posting.

You are the Bangzoom of pulp magazines to be sure! :applause:

I concur.

March 27-30 is the 2013 Popular Culture Association nationa conference this year in DC. This will be my third time giving a paper in the Pulp Studies section which has been growing every year. This year will be the largest ever, with five different sessions in the Pulp Studies area.

If you are in the DC area and a fan of the pulps you should consider coming by and checking it out. PCA is not your typical stuffy academic conference - it's a lot of fun. The comics and graphic novels area is huge! Below is the line up of Pulp Studies papers. I'll be chairing the anthropology/evolutionary session.

Pulp Studies I: Pulp pedagogy: Active learning and Active Reading in the Pulps.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 11:30am - 1:00pm

“I Confess”: Pulps and the Audience’s Populist Voice. - Lauren Gibson, University of West Florida

"Filling the Void”: Pulps, Movies, and Censorship in the 1930s - Emily Sisler, University of West Florida

"Behind the Curtain:" Women and the Science Fiction Pulps - Rachel Johnson, University of West Florida

Pulp Studies II: Anthropological and Evolutionary Dimensions of Pulp Fiction

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 1:15pm - 2:45pm

Evolutionary Otherness: Anthropological Anxiety in Robert E. Howard's "Worms of the Earth" - Jeffrey Shanks, National Park Service

Ancestral Memory in the Fiction of Robert E. Howard - Rebekkah Brown, Independent scholar

Bodies without Integrity: Undermining the Body in the Fiction of Leigh Brackett - David Schappert, Moravian College and Moravian Theological Seminary

Pulp Studies III: Sex, Swords and Sinews in the Fiction of Robert E. Howard

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 3:00pm - 4:30pm

“I’m Getting Tired as Hell Working for the Other Man”: Robert E. Howard, Industry, and Individualism - Daniel Nyikos, University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Robert E. Howard's Pulps: From Adventure to Weird Tales - Deke Parsons, Claremont Graduate University

Vaqueros and Vampires in the Old West: Robert E. Howard and the Genesis of the Weird Western - Mark Finn, Independent Scholar

Pulp Studies IV: The Politics of Pulp Fiction

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 4:45pm - 6:15pm

The Shadow Politics of Weird Tales: Epistemological Crises, the Modern Subject, and the Other - Jason Carney, Case Western Reserve University

The Pulpular Front: Pulp Magazines as Anti-Fascist Propaganda - David Earle, University of West Florida

In the Shadow of Fu Manchu: Pulps, Politics, and the Yellow Peril - Alexandra Yancey, St. Thomas University

‘An invasion of the bookstalls’: 1920s Pulp Magazines and the Foreign Market - Patrick Scott Belk, University of West Florida

Pulp Studies V: Celebrating "Those who move their lips when they read": Appreciating Working Class Fictions

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 6:30pm - 8:00pm

“Rhetorical Stances in Amazing Stories Readers' Letters” - Gabriel Cutrufello, Swarthmore College

Toward a Definition of Weird Fiction: Debates in the "Eyrie" Letters in the Edwin Baird Issues of Weird Tales. - Justin Everett, University of the Sciences

The Individual Pulp Story: Reading the Pulp Story Closely - Benjamin Wallin, Nyack College

hm I'm going to try to make it to this, Jeff.

That would be awesome, Todd. After the papers they'll be a screening of the recent film adaptation of HPL's "Whisperer in Darkness" along with a panel discussion. Friday evening will be the Pulpfeast with food and booze (of course they'll be food and booze on the other nights too). If you've got pulps to sell, definitely bring them.

Edited by Theagenes

My guess is that ERB and Tarzan in particular have transcended the pulp medium so much that ERB scholars probably wouldn't really consider doing a paper in the Pulp Studies area. I'll bet there are several ERB papers in other areas like SF&Fantasy. Likewise, we didn't get any HPL papers this year so their probably in the Horror area.

I noticed there was also a lecture on the characters of Leigh Brackett at the Pop Culture Association Meeting in DC.

8347194191_bc50e56867_z.jpg

And lots of comic stuff. This one should keep a few of us interested since there are some Bringing up Father fans out there.

A paper by Christopher Dowd, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of English

From the Gutters of Hogan’s Alley to the Lace Curtains of Jiggs and Maggie: Irish-American Comic Strips

The dramatic rise in popularity of comic strips in late 19th and early 20th century America coincides with the arrival and assimilation of Irish immigrants fleeing poverty, starvation, and oppression in their homeland. The Irish became the first ethnic group to immigrate to America en masse, and the questions and anxieties that Americans had regarding incorporating this ethnic minority population into the national body played out in the earliest American comic strips.

This paper traces the development of Irish-American characterization in comic strips like Hogan’s Alley, Mutt & Jeff, Bringing Up Father, Tracy, and Little Orphan Annie. Attention is given both to the work of Irish-American cartoonists like George McManus who constructed Irish characters from a perspective inside the ethnic group to non-Irish cartoonists like Harold Gray who worked from outside. While many comic strips reveal a familiarity with old Irish stereotypes, some of the most notable comics of the era demonstrate a dynamic reformulation of Irish identity in the popular imagination.

Chris Dowd earned his Ph.D. in English from the University of Connecticut and is an Assistant Professor at the University of New Haven. His book The Construction of Irish Identity in American Literature was published in 2011 by Routledge.

2549661484_859d1ce993_z.jpg

McManus as Jiggs

Edited by BB-Gun

I hung out some with Chris last year. Really cool guy. His paper last year was on REH as a Irish-American writer. I'll definitely be checking this one out if it doesn't conflict with the others.

PCA really is cool. Academic geekery. :)