• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

Just acquired this one (June 1937)...

SaucyMovieTalesJun1937g-vgb.jpg

Saucy Movies are all scarce, but this double-size issue is especially elusive (Heritage has never had one despite offering a number of Saucys over the years).

Oddities of note -- contains a 3-page comic strip titled "Dawn of Hollywood"... the interior art is abysmal... particularly disturbing as it looks like "sexy pictures" drawn by a 7-year old! (though the issue calls them "the swellist gang of artists outside of Gay Paree!") The publishers are also not above just making stuff up to sell copies, such as this blurb...

"Coming! A new novel by Paul Haggard who is fast becoming the country's most popular mystery writer!"

Yep! In 1937 it wasn't Agatha Christie or Raymond Chandler or Rex Stout of Erle Stanley Gardner... it was "Paul Haggard"!

Saucy Movies are all scarce, but this double-size issue is especially elusive (Heritage has never had one despite offering a number of Saucys over the years).

Oddities of note -- contains a 3-page comic strip titled "Dawn of Hollywood"... the interior art is abysmal... particularly disturbing as it looks like "sexy pictures" drawn by a 7-year old! (though the issue calls them "the swellist gang of artists outside of Gay Paree!") The publishers are also not above just making stuff up to sell copies, such as this blurb...

"Coming! A new novel by Paul Haggard who is fast becoming the country's most popular mystery writer!"

Yep! In 1937 it wasn't Agatha Christie or Raymond Chandler or Rex Stout of Erle Stanley Gardner... it was "Paul Haggard"!

Awesome cover and condition!! I've never seen that cover before.

I am still looking for the issue that has the gorilla carrying a gun in one hand and a woman in the other… if you have one let me know.

Saucy!!! :applause:

I am still looking for the issue that has the gorilla carrying a gun in one hand and a woman in the other… if you have one let me know.

That wouldn't be one of the Saucys... it's not ringing a bell (lots of gorilla covers with girls, one I can think of with a rifle, but none with both..unless I'm just drawing a blank).

That wouldn't be one of the Saucys... it's not ringing a bell (lots of gorilla covers with girls, one I can think of with a rifle, but none with both..unless I'm just drawing a blank).

SAUCY DETECTIVE!

saucydetAPE_zps40156441.jpg

SAUCY DETECTIVE!

saucydetAPE_zps40156441.jpg

I stand corrected! Yes... it's been so long since I've seen a copy that I completely forgot about it. I've never owned one, nor seen one in person that I recall.

If pulps had a Gerber Guide, a lot of these would be Gerber-8s and 9s!

Now I feel, ahem... informed!

Please keep on informing us!

Seriously, you never see those covers! I hope the stories are half as good!

Some of you might find this interesting. This is the "From Pulps to Comics" panel at Pensacon last week in podcast form at ThePulp.net.

It features me, with David Earle (professor from UWF and pulp expert) and Nicky Wheeler Nicholson (granddaughter of Malcom Wheeler Nicholson, the pulp writer who founded DC comics)

http://www.thepulp.net/pulp-info/convention-coverage/pensacon-2014/

toOZ1Mc.jpg

Pulp thread languishing so made up little tribute to one of the all time greatest fantasy novelettes, “Shannach--the Last” by Leigh Brackett (Nov 1952). Reread recently – better than ever. Threw in image of original art (don’t own) for the Ace “The Sword of Rhiannon”.

lb1.JPG

shannach.jpg

nice Joe Doolin illo

PfOu.jpg

This pulp is beyond cool!

Very nice of REH to give the lead writing credit to his buddy Tevis. I read that REH wrote the whole thing and Tevis may have done some "research". The conclusion was that REH wanted to give his friend an opening to submit some of his own stories.

Some of you might find this interesting. This is the "From Pulps to Comics" panel at Pensacon last week in podcast form at ThePulp.net.

It features me, with David Earle (professor from UWF and pulp expert) and Nicky Wheeler Nicholson (granddaughter of Malcom Wheeler Nicholson, the pulp writer who founded DC comics)

Thanks for the link! It was educational, and made me want to hear more about pulps.

I also listened to"Pulpcon 36: The Future of Pulp Collecting".

I found many of their concerns similar to the Golden Age community and collecting, but don't think they view the GA collector any differently than the modern comic collector.

Id love to learn more about pulps but find it somewhat overwhelming.

Is there a pulp cover book similar to the GA photo journals? These books helped me grasp the immense depth of GA.

Are any pulps listed in the overstreet?

I wish there was more of a pulp presence at the cons I attend. I'm glad I at least have this thread.

nice Joe Doolin illo

PfOu.jpg

This pulp is beyond cool!

Very nice of REH to give the lead writing credit to his buddy Tevis. I read that REH wrote the whole thing and Tevis may have done some "research". The conclusion was that REH wanted to give his friend an opening to submit some of his own stories.

Yeah, that was essentially what Tevis said in the introduction to the Donald Grant edition that was published in the 70s. Xaltotun may want to comment.

Pulp thread languishing so made up little tribute to one of the all time greatest fantasy novelettes, “Shannach--the Last” by Leigh Brackett (Nov 1952). Reread recently – better than ever. Threw in image of original art (don’t own) for the Ace “The Sword of Rhiannon”.

lb1.JPG

shannach.jpg

Bob Weinberg owns the Rhiannon art. He just posted it on FB the other day.

Thanks for the link! It was educational, and made me want to hear more about pulps.

I also listened to"Pulpcon 36: The Future of Pulp Collecting".

I found many of their concerns similar to the Golden Age community and collecting, but don't think they view the GA collector any differently than the modern comic collector.

Id love to learn more about pulps but find it somewhat overwhelming.

Is there a pulp cover book similar to the GA photo journals? These books helped me grasp the immense depth of GA.

Are any pulps listed in the overstreet?

I wish there was more of a pulp presence at the cons I attend. I'm glad I at least have this thread.

Glad you enjoyed the panel. :)

Bookery's Guide is the only price guide and is an excellent. You may have seen the author Tim Cottrell posting here as Bookery.

There are a number of books out there that have a lot of pulp covers, but nothing like the Gerbers. The closest thing might be the big color catalog that Adventure House put out for the Frank Robinson Collection. You might see if they have any left:

http://www.adventurehouse.com/

Robert Lesser’s ‘Pulp Art’ (1997) is a coffee table tour focusing on original cover art.

James Van Hise’s ‘Pulp Heroes of the 1930s’ (1994) has my pal Will Murray covering Doc Savage and the Shadow (and Will ‘knows’).

Lester Del Rey’s ‘Science Fiction Art 1926-1954’ (1975) is a look at pulp sci-fi with many cover repros.

And there are other books – good way to get a feel for the era. Plus here’s a web site run by David Saunders, whose dad (Norman – see below) was one of the greats. http://pulpartists.com/

And philsp’s online http://www.philsp.com/lists/p_magazines.html

is almost a web ‘Gerber’ of pulp covers.

img1303.jpg

I found that the following two books are great introduction to a pulp beginner in combination.

Start with:

51ASPZ6HK9L._SX258_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If you do not know a thing about pulps, you've gone from 0 to 30 with this one.

Amazon Linky

Then follow it up with:

61mTbkx4DaL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ed's coverage of the main titles is more pointed but had the flavor lacking, i.e., the stories, from the Robinson book.

Amazon Linky

While Robinson lets you discover the genres, Ed helps you explore those.