• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

I gave the numbers, the links and the statistics. I leave everyone draw their own conclusions.

I don't know him personnally, Heck he didn't even say "hi" when sending me emails, the pulp or when he received it back.

Simply giving the facts as I have them. I also know he has a history. You guys decide what you wanna do of it.

Bidder m***l could simply be someone like me. I bid on blissard's (a.k.a. also bigloo) comics listing a lot and win very few. I have never bothered to leave feedback nor does he leave feedback for me. As Matt says, another cheap-arse bidder like myself, hoping one falls through the cracks.

Dave Anderson owns action one from the mile high. The thought that he's engaging in shill bidding to make a couple extra bucks is ridiculous....

We all know who is he is Matthew. And this certainly isn't the first time there have been questionable activities associated with him. However, because of who he is nobody ever wants to talk about it.

Do a little little digging on these boards and you'll see what I mean.

Interesting conversation, but I'm not sure I understand what it has to do with the auction on Heritage that I won. Are you saying that the Franks bought these pulps from thebigloo on eBay and then they were sold to me via Heritage when the collection was liquidated?

Mike

nothing really monkey, we got sidetracked. if I had to guess, i'd say the entire collection of weird with those markings was available mid last year, and dave bought most of it and the rest ended up on heritage or something like.

I'd value the 5 books you got at around 1250 on ebay with bin's if you don't mind sitting on them a while. You got a decent deal. not great, but you wont lose money.

Interesting conversation, but I'm not sure I understand what it has to do with the auction on Heritage that I won. Are you saying that the Franks bought these pulps from thebigloo on eBay and then they were sold to me via Heritage when the collection was liquidated?

Mike

No Mike, other way around around. The Dentist bought most of the other group lots on HA in November and has recently been flipping them individually on ebay.

They are great looking books, but yeah they are heavily trimmed on multiple sides and HA absolutely should have disclosed that.

As for thebigloo, maybe there was there was shilling, maybe there wasn't, but I've been following these auctions closely as well and I felt like there was weird bidding patterns too.

Could it be coincidence? Absolutely. Should the fact that he's a millionaire and has one of the best collections in the hobby mean he's beyond reproach? No it shouldn't.

Jeff-

looks good. I'd sure be tickled to see the contents page. Those great old stories never die.

Pat

Pat, I missed this post earlier. Here's the contents of the zombie book.

Introduction: Dawn of the Zombie Genre -- Jeffrey Shanks

Herbert West—Reanimator -- H. P. Lovecraft

Jumbee -- Henry S. Whitehead

The Corpse-Master -- Seabury Quinn

Dead Girl Finotte -- H. De Vere Stacpoole

Salt is Not for Slaves -- G. W. Hutter

The Dead Who Walk -- Ray Cummings

The House in the Magnolias -- August Derleth and Mark Schorer

The Empire of the Necromancers -- Clark Ashton Smith

The Devil’s Dowry -- Ben Judson

The Walking Dead -- E. Hoffmann Price

The Graveyard Rats -- Henry Kuttner

The Grave Gives Up -- Jack D’Arcy

Zombie -- Carl Moore

Revels for the Lusting Dead -- Arthur Leo Zagat

Corpses on Parade -- Edith and Ejler Jacobson

Pigeons from Hell -- Robert E. Howard

The Man Who Loved a Zombie -- Russell Gray

While Zombies Walked -- Thorp McCluskey

The Song of the Slaves -- Manly Wade Wellman

The Forbidden Trail -- Jane Rice

For what it is worth, I don't believe at all that Anderson had someone shilling the pulps.

I have watched and been involved heavily in the buying/selling hi grade pulps over the past 15 years. In my opinion, there is no sign of shilling, as I have seen pulps in these runs, and in these grades, sell for the prices that Anderson realized, both privately and at auction.

I was the underbidder on two of them and I know who won them. I know other people that bid high on them, and against each other.

The ultra high grade Weird tales he listed might or might not be from the Franks collection, I don't know, as the only WT's that I looked at were the bedsheets, but I wasn't overly impressed with the condition on those (comparing them to the Robinson run, the run Anderson has, and BZ's copies).

The Dime Mystery files were picked up by him years back. Dave didn't need those WT's because he has a complete killer high grade run from #1 up! I know that he has other complete high grade pulp runs and I know specifically the sources that they came from.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

Oh Yeah !!!

did you consider Ed Hamilton's 'The Man Who Returned' ? not really a zombie story, but great depth and spin on the subject of 'undead'....

Can't remember what Woolrich's 'Graves for the Living' was about, just that it was awfully intense...

I'm already planning a sequel so those could be possibilities. hm

Here is the description of the lot from Heritage:

"Weird Tales Group (Popular Fiction, 1933) Condition: Average FN-. Includes the February, April, May, August, and November 1933 issues. Includes "Shambleau" by C. L. Moore, "Revelations in Black" by Carl Jacobi, and "Golden Blood" by Jack Williamson. Covers by J. Allen St. John and Margaret Brundage. Complete covers and spines, supple cream to off-white pages. Spines faded to orange. Approximate Bookery's Guide to Pulps value for group = $875. From the Frank Collection."

As an unsophisticated pulp collector, I have a couple of questions about these books which I hope the boards can answer for me.

- The front and back covers of these pulps don't have any overhangs so I'm assuming they are trimmed and, more specifically, you can see the particularly poor job of trimming at the bottom of a few of them. Is this something Heritage should have noted or is showing big scans enough?

- The Table of Contents of each pulp is annotated as in the scan below. Should this have been mentioned in Heritage's description? Is this something specific to the Frank Collection?

WeirdTalesNov33ToC_zps4bc34731.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

I bought some of the Heritage lots too, and when I saw these markings I started doing some research. It turns out pulps with annotations like you see here originally belonged to sci-fi super-fan Jack Darrow (pen name for Clifford Kornoelje). Darrow was one of the most prolific letter-writers to science fiction and fantasy pulps in the 1930s. One of the pulps I bought contained an original hand-written fan letter by Darrow tucked inside.

Darrow always counted the pages of each story and noted the totals on the table of contents. The numbers on the left indicate his rankings of the quality of the stories. If you look near the back of the issue, you will probably find a coupon filled out by Darrow indicating his three favorite stories from the issue, along with his name and address in Chicago.

Here is a picture of Darrow at the first World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon) in 1939 in New York. Darrow is in the upper right.

Back row: Myrtle Douglas (aka Morojo), Julius Schwartz, Otto Binder, Mort Weisinger, Jack Darrow.

Front row: Forest J. Ackerman, Ross Rocklynne, Charles Hornig, Ray Bradbury.

What an incredible gathering of sci-fi talent and fandom!

Myrtle%2520Douglas%2520%2528Morojo%2529%252C%2520Julius%2520Schwartz%252C%2520Otto%2520Binder%252C%2520Mort%2520Weisinger%252C%2520Jack%2520Darrow%252C%2520Forrest%2520J%2520Ackerman%252C%2520Ross%2520Rocklyne%252C%2520Charles%2520D%2520Hornig%252C%2520Ray%2520Bradbury.jpg

Here is a picture of Darrow at the first World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon) in 1939 in New York. Darrow is in the upper right.

No wonder those pulps are that nice!

And, yes, what a picture!

"Weird Tales Group (Popular Fiction, 1933) Condition: Average FN-. Includes the February, April, May, August, and November 1933 issues. Includes "Shambleau" by C. L. Moore, "Revelations in Black" by Carl Jacobi, and "Golden Blood" by Jack Williamson. Covers by J. Allen St. John and Margaret Brundage. Complete covers and spines, supple cream to off-white pages. Spines faded to orange. Approximate Bookery's Guide to Pulps value for group = $875. From the Frank Collection."

As an unsophisticated pulp collector, I have a couple of questions about these books which I hope the boards can answer for me.

- The front and back covers of these pulps don't have any overhangs so I'm assuming they are trimmed and, more specifically, you can see the particularly poor job of trimming at the bottom of a few of them. Is this something Heritage should have noted or is showing big scans enough?

- The Table of Contents of each pulp is annotated as in the scan below. Should this have been mentioned in Heritage's description? Is this something specific to the Frank Collection?

WeirdTalesNov33ToC_zps4bc34731.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

I bought some of the Heritage lots too, and when I saw these markings I started doing some research. It turns out pulps with annotations like you see here originally belonged to sci-fi super-fan Jack Darrow (pen name for Clifford Kornoelje). Darrow was one of the most prolific letter-writers to science fiction and fantasy pulps in the 1930s. One of the pulps I bought contained an original hand-written fan letter by Darrow tucked inside.

Darrow always counted the pages of each story and noted the totals on the table of contents. The numbers on the left indicate his rankings of the quality of the stories. If you look near the back of the issue, you will probably find a coupon filled out by Darrow indicating his three favorite stories from the issue, along with his name and address in Chicago.

Back row: Myrtle Douglas (aka Morojo), Julius Schwartz, Otto Binder, Mort Weisinger, Jack Darrow.

Front row: Forest J. Ackerman, Ross Rocklynne, Charles Hornig, Ray Bradbury.

Myrtle%2520Douglas%2520%2528Morojo%2529%252C%2520Julius%2520Schwartz%252C%2520Otto%2520Binder%252C%2520Mort%2520Weisinger%252C%2520Jack%2520Darrow%252C%2520Forrest%2520J%2520Ackerman%252C%2520Ross%2520Rocklyne%252C%2520Charles%2520D%2520Hornig%252C%2520Ray%2520Bradbury.jpg

Todd that is really cool! Great research. I know I have one or two books with similar annotations, but I thought much about it. But I have no idea which ones they are now.

I'll be having some pulpy fun this weekend. I'll be a guest at Pensacon and I'll be on a panel "From Pulps to Comics" with David Earle (The Pulp Magazine Project) and Nicky Wheeler Nicholson (granddaughter of Malcom Wheeler Nicholson -- founder of what became DC comics). At some point I'm going to sneak away and go check out David's pulp exhibit at UWF that I posted a link to earlier. Should be a great time! :banana:

http://www.pensacon.com/

Edited by Theagenes