• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

Hello,

I picked up a number of sharp pulps at the "Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention" this past weekend in Chicago.

The "Secret Agent X" is very early, the 5th issue (June 1934), and is considered a Classic cover! It is from the Strasser pedegree collection. Robert Strasser not only put the code in the first letter of the title on the cover, but in 1934 only, he also wrote his name neatlly on the cover.

SecretAgentXStrasserCopy_zps2baeba5d.jpeg

The "Thrilling Mystery" is one of the violent/shocking covers in the run, is in File Copy condition with white paper, and has a (REH) Robert E Howard story in it to boot. Again, it is a very early issue from June 1936 (#8). It is considered a Classic cover as well, and many consider it one of the best, if not the best cover in the run.

ThrillingMysterywREHstory_zps90fd484b.jpg

Dwight

:takeit::grin: (thumbs u

Hello,

I picked up a number of sharp pulps at the "Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention" this past weekend in Chicago.

The "Secret Agent X" is very early, the 5th issue (June 1934), and is considered a Classic cover! It is from the Strasser pedegree collection. Robert Strasser not only put the code in the first letter of the title on the cover, but in 1934 only, he also wrote his name neatlly on the cover.

SecretAgentXStrasserCopy_zps2baeba5d.jpeg

Love this Secret Agent X. I think this was offered at Heritage in the past. I recall seeing it for sale a few years back. Those X's are near impossible to find, let alone in this sort of grade.

As always I love this thread and the books shown.

I have another question for you guys.

Besides G-8, I don't see too many war and pre-war era (pre 1946) pulps with Nazi's/Axis on the cover.

I have the Dynamic Science Stories one, but would like to see others.

Are there any examples you could name or show?

If there just weren't many produced, why was that?

I was under the impression that pulps kept going strong during the rise of comics in and throughout the war years, but maybe I'm mistaken.

dynamic_science_stories_193904.jpg

As always I love this thread and the books shown.

I have another question for you guys.

Besides G-8, I don't see too many war and pre-war era (pre 1946) pulps with Nazi's/Axis on the cover

Check all the Aviation pulps. Plenty of Axis powers on there, no?

Oh man, if one day you ever decide to part with that Thrilling Mystery, I want it! It is just incredible!!! (worship)

You may have to fight me for it!

I have two copies of it right now, but neither one looks like that!

Congrats Dwight!

Challenge accepted!

And I would like to publicly blame this forum; I couldn't resist those covers any more; I just went on a pulp-buying spree, pulps that do not contain any Howard stories! And am about to buy more! I think I am seriously infected....

Xalto- don't forget to show us what you come up with - even REH-less... Speaking of which, read 'Black Wind Blowing' last night - he puts some nice luster on the hoary weird menace formula - there's only one Two-Gun !!!

Thanks to Jeff and his 'Zombies from the Pulps' anthology I'm on a mini weird menace kick, as that excellent book contains a 'shudder pulp' masterpiece, 'Revels of the Lusting Dead', by Arthur Leo Zagat. So if anyone knows of any great yarns from said genre (more REH?) please let me know.

Thanks, Pat

zftp.jpg

Zombies from the pulps going to check that out!

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/stories_zpsa9618485.jpg' alt='stories_zpsa9618485.jpg'>

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/start_zps95c940ea.jpg' alt='start_zps95c940ea.jpg'>

I have a bunch of those Startlings. Way cool GGA covers and very underrated. (thumbs u

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/start_zps95c940ea.jpg' alt='start_zps95c940ea.jpg'>

Heny Kuttner and a classic Hamilton story is a good combo. Do you read these while drinking an RC Cola and eating a moonpie?