• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

You've listed some amazing pulps! (worship)

Thanks! Some may even be astounding! lol

And as a fan of pulp art, I also like what lurks in the shadows ...

25033418-5adf-4cd0-8205-d4adfc9e5917_zpsa1e755c9.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]George Rozen cover painting for the June 15th '42 issue.[/font] >>> :cloud9:

That's why I wrapped this'n in spoiler tags. :grin:

I think this is my new favorite pulp cover. A Fu Manchu-like villain with big green tentacles, a giant skull, a submarine, an ocean liner aflame and sinking, and just for the heck of it lightning bolts! And a great color palette! :luhv:

Strange Stories, Aug 1939

Strange%2520Stories%2520Vol%25202%2520No%25201%2520Aug%25201939.jpg

'The Citadel of Darkness' is one of the greatest 'sword and sorcery' stories. It's the second (and last) of Kuttner's 'Prince Raynor' series. Perfectly plotted and paced, full of color and concepts and fantasy adventure, it's an endlessly rereadable masterpiece.

img8750.jpg

Pat, thanks for the tip. I try not to read my high-grade pulps after some bad experiences with pages coming loose, so I downloaded the Prince Raynor title, which contains both stories, to my Kindle app. I really enjoyed it and got the feeling Kuttner was trying to pick up Howard's fallen baton and run with it.

Here's the interior art by Finlay. Beautiful work.

Strange%2520Stories%2520Aug%25201939.JPG

Doing some reorganizing of the pulp collection today. Here's a pulp hero 1st issue/appearance group shot. :)

The Spider #1, Oct 1933, cover by Walter Baumhofer

Doc Savage #1, Mar 1933, cover by Walter Baumhofer

Operator #5 #1, Apr 1934, cover by Jerome Rozen

If anyone can help me find the 1st issues of G-8 and His Battle Aces, The Phantom Detective, or The Shadow, please let me know. :)

IMG_5887.JPG