• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,181 posts in this topic

I know, but the first impression (at least in my case) is that the Hardcover Trade Edition

costs $395. (shrug)

Not really a typo but I do think it is sloppy copywriting. My first reaction was that the book was too rich for my blood.

I know! Me too. I think the website is a work in progress. I tried to pre-order the book, but the only option is a $295 edition, which isn't even described anywhere else.

Hope the quality does Paul's work justice.

Thanks for the info, BZ!. I'm always impressed by how people here have these books at their fingertips, and are willing to immediately scan or photograph them.

See the attached sent to me by the off-list science fiction expert that gave me the pulpreader link.

Given the original Russian publication and the text credit you just posted, the

attribution of Block as translator seems feasible.

Was there a lively science fiction scene in Russia in the 1920s?

I'm amazed at how much early science fiction writers knew about

nuclear fission, Tokamaks (the synopsis sort of sounds like one of

those), etc.

I wonder how many times the runaway ball of energy was used in comic

book plots. At least a Wonder Woman, Superman and Atlas pre-hero story

or three? Vague memories.

Thanks,

Jack

If anyone else is curious about the story, you can read it at PulpReader, complete with illos.

Jack, here's a text piece missing from the Pulp Reader reprint and a clearer photo of the illustration.

revolt2.jpg

revolt.jpg

63120.jpg.8411f83474fd17b0488a6370031c7ada.jpg

Edited by selegue

The more I learn about pulps, the more I realize that the lurid comic book covers that Wertham railed about were nothing new under the sun. Apparently you pulp collectors realized this long ago!

These are striking!

I am primarily a "ooo, pretty cover..." buyer, so I thought I would post a smattering of my favourite covers...

L B Cole's magician from -- where? A cover with multiple "floating heads".

DetectiveWorldv07n011949-01.jpg

Red Sonja! What are you doing here?

PlanetStoriesv04n111951-03.jpg

Hey, you two. Quit fighting and get out of Scrooge's way!

SouthSeaStoriesv01n011939-12.jpg

The beloved Detective Comics 35 (except the Doc looks more like the guy getting the shot) and how many Schomburg "hot poker" covers?

ThrillingMysteryv01n011935-10.jpg

Wow -- how many Fiction House Wings Comics looked like this one?

Wingsv11n04194849-Winter.jpg

More to come...

More, more, please! I really enjoy seeing the swipe sources!

What an impressive collection.

Thanks,

Jack

I have always loved the incredible covers on the pulps, so I have picked up a few as I have been hunting comics.

z-Adventure-September-1937.jpg

Have you read Hark Africa! ? Harry Steeger, publisher of Popular, thought it was "a chilling mixture of horror and suspense as any fiction brew could be." (thumbs u

I am primarily a "ooo, pretty cover..." buyer, so I thought I would post a smattering of my favourite covers...

More to come...

I'll agree with Jack. I went to bed late and woke up in Heaven. :D

Please keep them coming :popcorn:

L B Cole's magician from -- where? A cover with multiple "floating heads".

:gossip: Power Comics # 3 (see scan below)

Exactly the one I meant.

I suppose the magician with top hat, handlebar mustache and goatee is an archetype, but I see a strong resemblance. Hey, Cole's doesn't have a monocle! What's up with that!

Thanks.

Jack

I have always loved the incredible covers on the pulps, so I have picked up a few as I have been hunting comics.

z-Adventure-September-1937.jpg

Have you read Hark Africa! ? Harry Steeger, publisher of Popular, thought it was "a chilling mixture of horror and suspense as any fiction brew could be." (thumbs u

People read these?

(I will pull that out to read. Sounds like it will be worth it. Thanks.)

In the December 1939 issue of SCIENCE FICTION I picked up at Comicon, there is a GREAT write up on the first sci fi convention in NYC in 1939. The article speaks for itself...

(note on the page opposite the start of the article, the contest where you can win the Frank R. Paul cover!)

SCIFIcon19391.jpg

SCIFIcon19392.jpg

SCIFIcon19393.jpg

These are some very rare and highly sought after pulps that surfaced from an old time collector, and showed up at last weeks Pulpcon in Dayton.

The ALL DETECTIVE'S are from 1933 and 1934 and pre-dating the Dr. Death run.

The STAR magazine is from 1931 and has a great cover

alldetectiveseptfbb.jpg

alldetectivejuly1933bb.jpg

alldetectivesept1934bb-1.jpg

alldetectivemay1933bb.jpg

StarFCbb.jpg

****As much as I like the covers and the rarety of the newly acquired pulps, I have to admit that they could all be available for trade for early Shadows and 1930's and 40's Shadow collectibles.****

In the December 1939 issue of SCIENCE FICTION I picked up at Comicon, there is a GREAT write up on the first sci fi convention in NYC in 1939. The article speaks for itself...

(note on the page opposite the start of the article, the contest where you can win the Frank R. Paul cover!)

SCIFIcon19391.jpg

I would have made a run at the free Paul painting.