• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

I just made my first trip to Bookery's today (after decades of living within an hour of it). Pulps are a whole new frontier for me, and it was a real treat to go through their 5 or 6 boxes.

I love this horror-themed cover with buxom damsel (although she looks only mildly concerned with the skeleton grabbing her!).

FAJuly51.jpg

Great finds John! :applause:

Thanks! Just read the Bradbury, Clarke, and Hubbard stories and loved every word of them.

The Bookery also has shelves of Ace edition ERB paperbacks with Frazetta and Krenkel covers that I could see myself getting addicted to...

Haven't posted in here in quite awhile so thought I would share some recent pickups:

Got this one from Shiverbones, thanks buddy!

WeirdTalesjune.jpg

Add a little spice to your life!

SpicyMystery.jpg

Planet Stories #1

PlanetStories.jpg

I've been looking for a copy of this to go with another book I own: :)

MarvelScienceStories.jpg

ScienceComics2.jpg

This guy scared the out of me when I was a kid!

MechanixIllustrated.jpg

thought you might like this reproduction:

tarzanart.jpg

I recently got this original art. It has "Agent Spook" on the back and is supposed to be a cover. The art is attributed to Jack Sparlin. Any idea's on this piece?? I've never heard of Agent Spook and have never seen this cover on anything. Help?

AgentSpookcover.jpg

So, awhile ago I bought this pulp from Point Five because I loved the cover. Pretty girls, sleek space ships, what's not to love?

Anyway, I read through the whole mag and I've got to say, it's pretty good! I don't think any of the stories are cheap and/or poorly written.

The cover feature is an interesting novelette about multiple versions of the earth and the secret group of people who monitor and protect them (the Watchers). But the really interesting thing about the story to me is that one of the supporting characters is a "Negro" who is treated very sympathetically as a larger-than-life hero from an alternate earth. The female protagonist, who is white, even falls for him and thinks she's in love with him for a time. This was published in 1951, and I was frankly shocked by the progressive attitudes toward African Americans in this story, especially since I'm assuming that pulps were supposed to appeal to the average white American male more than any other demographic.

Anyone else found this sort of progressive tendency in pulps? Or was this story an exception.

SSsept51.jpg

So, awhile ago I bought this pulp from Point Five because I loved the cover. Pretty girls, sleek space ships, what's not to love?

Anyway, I read through the whole mag and I've got to say, it's pretty good! I don't think any of the stories are cheap and/or poorly written.

The cover feature is an interesting novelette about multiple versions of the earth and the secret group of people who monitor and protect them (the Watchers). But the really interesting thing about the story to me is that one of the supporting characters is a "Negro" who is treated very sympathetically as a larger-than-life hero from an alternate earth. The female protagonist, who is white, even falls for him and thinks she's in love with him for a time. This was published in 1951, and I was frankly shocked by the progressive attitudes toward African Americans in this story, especially since I'm assuming that pulps were supposed to appeal to the average white American male more than any other demographic.

Anyone else found this sort of progressive tendency in pulps? Or was this story an exception.

Damn, I've been selling these pulps too quickly. lol I wish I'd read that story!

Would love to hear more from other pulp collectors, but I'd guess that a story that progressive about race relations was definitely an exception more than a rule. EC got quite a bit of flak for stories that brought race and equality into the picture.

I recently purchased the following five 1930-1932 pulps on eBay for roughly $25 each. Although they are very nice, the covers turned out to be cleanly detached. I think that the glue dried up and they fell off. I suggested that the seller refund me $15 each and I end up paying $10 each. He wants to refund me $8 each for an average cost of $17. Does anyone have any ideas if they are worth $17 each? I have a binding machine at work and could easily reatach the covers, although I guess this would be considered restoration.

Thx, Mike

ArgosySept131930.jpg

ArgosyOct41930.jpg

ArgosyJune61931.jpg

ArgosyJune251932.jpg

ArgosySept31932.jpg

I recently purchased the following five 1930-1932 pulps on eBay for roughly $25 each. Although they are very nice, the covers turned out to be cleanly detached. I think that the glue dried up and they fell off. I suggested that the seller refund me $15 each and I end up paying $10 each. He wants to refund me $8 each for an average cost of $17. Does anyone have any ideas if they are worth $17 each? I have a binding machine at work and could easily reatach the covers, although I guess this would be considered restoration.

Thx, Mike

ArgosySept131930.jpg

ArgosyOct41930.jpg

ArgosyJune61931.jpg

ArgosyJune251932.jpg

ArgosySept31932.jpg

Bookery's Guide to the Pulps lists all those isssues as being worth $4 in Good. Considering the covers are detached, they technically culdn't be considered better than Good, I wouldn't think, even though they certainly look nice.

If you don't mind reattaching them and like how they look then I'd say it's up to you how to decide how much they're worth, but as far as resale value goes I don't think they're worth a whole lot.

If the seller didn't disclose the detached covers he's completely at fault and you should be able to get a complete refund, imo.

Yourss seem nicer than mine,but I got

these three for 15 dollars last year.They are great

reads.I think you should get some cash back,imho.

I LOVE this cover and story to death....

Jimmers

91045.jpg.bed8610361ef03a0c2e0e17042655830.jpg

Edited by porcupine48