• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEC 29! -- greatly "devalued" by unnecessary? restoration

104 posts in this topic

I saw this last week, and I plan on bidding "hard" for this book....I was hoping the PLOD would keep folks away, but since this board is also for discussion and education, I will reluctantly put some input in, that will probably raise the "desirability" of the book beyond my means :(

cover reinforcement was generally done because the cover had become detached from the book...so, in this case, it is likely some rice paper added at the staple area to resecure the cover to the interior....there is no mention of spine split seals, etc, so you just have to look at the book and say "wow"...

as steve mentioned, this book looks so nice, I want it!

and, actually, the slight resto is very easily removed, and with "archival" tape to secure the cover, can be made to likely be in a blue label universal holder with notes of tape, and likely in the 3.0 to 3.5 range due to the cover reattachment...yet will still present GREAT

so, my hopes of a "bargain" probably just went out the door (shrug)

gator

I saw this last week, and I plan on bidding "hard" for this book....I was hoping the PLOD would keep folks away, but since this board is also for discussion and education, I will reluctantly put some input in, that will probably raise the "desirability" of the book beyond my means :(

cover reinforcement was generally done because the cover had become detached from the book...so, in this case, it is likely some rice paper added at the staple area to resecure the cover to the interior....there is no mention of spine split seals, etc, so you just have to look at the book and say "wow"...

and, actually, the slight resto is very easily removed, and with "archival" tape to secure the cover, can be made to likely be in a blue label universal holder with notes of tape, and likely in the 3.0 to 3.5 range due to the cover reattachment...yet will still present GREAT

gator

I agree, this type of resto is among the least offensive to me and should have less an impact on value and perceived value than most other forms. I certainly understand the argument to leave the book alone (especially when it's going to be in a slab anyway), but I am hoping for the day when people see that many books, for their long term health, SHOULD undergo some form of conservation as prophylaxis. The most obvious examples are cleaning/replacing rusty staples and tape removal.

gator

I agree, this type of resto is among the least offensive to me and should have less an impact on value and perceived value than most other forms. I certainly understand the argument to leave the book alone (especially when it's going to be in a slab anyway), but I am hoping for the day when people see that many books, for their long term health, SHOULD undergo some form of conservation as prophylaxis. The most obvious examples are cleaning/replacing rusty staples and tape removal.

well said...

while I would not remove the reinforcement in exchange for tape, I do think that books like this are prime examples of the "bargains" that are available in today's market...and, we all know that the mindset tends to evolve, so I will go back to my original premise posted many times...buy the book, not the label, and take all things into consideration with your purchase!

hopefully I can still snag this beaut at a "bargain" (relatively speaking of course) price :wishluck:

while I would not remove the reinforcement in exchange for tape, I do think that books like this are prime examples of the "bargains" that are available in today's market...

reinforcement seems to be a less "offensive" form of resto...compared to color touch and glue ( 2 dirty resto words )....probably because you can't see it on a slabbed book ,since the work has been done on the inside of the cover, and is making something more structually sound VS. work done as a visual enhancement.

Good luck Rick....hope my thread didn't create more competition for the book :wishluck:

PS....fill in the blank:

since my unrestored 5.0 just sold for $22,100, this book should sell for ( blank )

while I would not remove the reinforcement in exchange for tape, I do think that books like this are prime examples of the "bargains" that are available in today's market...

reinforcement seems to be a less "offensive" form of resto...compared to color touch and glue ( 2 dirty resto words )....probably because you can't see it on a slabbed book ,since the work has been done on the inside of the cover, and is making something more structually sound VS. work done as a visual enhancement.

Good luck Rick....hope my thread didn't create more competition for the book :wishluck:

PS....fill in the blank:

since my unrestored 5.0 just sold for $22,100, this book should sell for ( blank )

$16.45 :wishluck:

PS....fill in the blank:

$16.45 :wishluck:

Sorry, I plan on bidding $17.50.

I am also thinking about throwing in a bid on the book if the price looks "reasonable" at the end otherwise I am bowing out. My guess at a realistic price is in the $7k to $10k range with $12k the 3 sigma max. For myself, I wouldn't remove the restoration. For someone that would buy a restored copy, this book is very desirable because of the slight notation.

P.S. No intension of getting in a bidding war with Rick. I did that for my Detective 187 and my wallet still cries everytime I pull that book out.

I am also thinking about throwing in a bid on the book if the price looks "reasonable" at the end otherwise I am bowing out. My guess at a realistic price is in the $7k to $10k range with $12k the 3 sigma max. For myself, I wouldn't remove the restoration. For someone that would buy a restored copy, this book is very desirable because of the slight notation.

P.S. No intension of getting in a bidding war with Rick. I did that for my Detective 187 and my wallet still cries everytime I pull that book out.

hello all...

if I bid/win, I will leave book as is, and sell my cgc 3.5 blue tec 29...that is my motivation, to "downgrade" but get a book that looks "better"...

now, if George will sell me his under copy 4.0 (er, I mean 5.0) tec 31, and my run is back to all "blue" label, then I will pass...

got a month to decide, but I was thinking $10K was the target price (12K with BP)

rick

hello all...

if I bid/win, I will leave book as is, and sell my cgc 3.5 blue tec 29...that is my motivation, to "downgrade" but get a book that looks "better"...

now, if George will sell me his under copy 4.0 (er, I mean 5.0) tec 31, and my run is back to all "blue" label, then I will pass...

got a month to decide, but I was thinking $10K was the target price (12K with BP)

rick

Great minds baby, great minds!

Is reinforcement obvious when viewing the interior of the cover?

Dennis

Yeah, if you opened the cover you can see the material used. Sometimes it is much more visible then others though.

Good luck on the book guys.. it is VERY nice as it is.

Wow.. what a copy. (worship)

Ze-

hello all...

rick

Great minds baby, great minds!

(thumbs u

It's a really nice looking vg+.

I was thinking more in line of 3.0 to 3.5 with an otherwise detached cover...purely from a technical stand point if resto was removed...I can't grade a detached cover higher than that, no matter how nice it looks

Ok...I understand in "the old days" you added a little CT to a cover chip or color breaking stress line, and I kinda' get sealing a tear so it doesn't get larger or get snagged on something......but when I see a GREAT, GA classic in beautiful condtion like this one, that someone just couldn't keep their paws off of, it drives me nuts ( and that's a short trip! ) :frustrated:

Cover reinforcement adds no visual enhancement, so this was what, conservation of something that was not in need of conservation in the 1st place? If you have a $60,000+ comic book, you really shouldn't be reading it anyway IMO ( get a beater copy or reprint ..even though I'm sure the book wasn't $60k when the work was done....I would hope). So now this book is "taboo" because of its PLOD, with a form of resto that is permanent?...... just think of its value and demand if someone in the past didn't have to make the cover more stable / thick :screwy:

What, if they didn't reinforce it, the cover was going to fall apart? ....look at the well preserved condition of this book! I don't remember DC making covers out of tissue paper, if I am correct on my comic book history. I can only imagine how "OK" the cover on this HIGH GRADE, VF- was, before someone tried to turn it into a hardcover Batman novel....reinforcement was the only work done on this comic. ( aside from some likely dry-cleaning?...the brightnesss is almost too good to be true )

This beauty is being offered by Heritage in an upcoming auction.

Your thoughts???

Steve

If what you really want is a VF unrestored copy of this book and you'd never consider a slight restored book, then you should want a return to the old days, when more buyers didn't care about slight restoration and you could get an unrestored for about the same, or a little bit more.

Every person whom you convince that this book has been rendered worthless is one more person who will compete with you when you go after the true unrestored VF you supposedly want. Wouldn't it be more to your advantage to let people feel the work is no big deal, so that when you go for the unrestored book you have less competition and can get it for less of a premium?

Shoot, I guess the cover was blown off on this book. Just when I told myself that this year I would spend way less than I did in 2007, this book popped up on Heritage. I saw the book probably a week or so ago before it had all its info. up and been eyeing it ever since. As you know, I plan on upgrading my Tec 29, and this book seems to be the right candidate... I guess let the bidding wars begin.. Besides, I think this would look good side by side with my Tec 31 CGC 7.5(SP) :cloud9:

hello all...

rick

You have a blue #28 (worship)

If what you really want is a VF unrestored copy of this book and you'd never consider a slight restored book, then you should want a return to the old days, when more buyers didn't care about slight restoration and you could get an unrestored for about the same, or a little bit more.

Every person whom you convince that this book has been rendered worthless is one more person who will compete with you when you go after the true unrestored VF you supposedly want. Wouldn't it be more to your advantage to let people feel the work is no big deal, so that when you go for the unrestored book you have less competition and can get it for less of a premium?

Uhhhhh....bluechip.....I'm not looking to "get" anything out of this, like lower its perceived value, etc etc. I simply started a thread about a great book that I think was unfortunately the product of unnecessary resto.

No conspiracy theory needed