• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEC 29! -- greatly "devalued" by unnecessary? restoration

104 posts in this topic

I had a Whiz 1 that looked very nice, but was a little fragile at the spine, as well as a complete cover split. I had several people tell me that if I put tape on it the grade would go up - as well as the PQ.

Needless to say, I didn't, but it could have been a $1000-2000 decision (1.5 vs 2.0 or so).

now, tell me more about the 28...is it better in person than the scans? inquiring minds want to know!

Since I seem to be out of the loop......what Tec #28 are we talking about? (shrug)

go ahead steve, tell him lol

Yeah tell me Steve :sumo:

well....it looks EXACTLY like this copy...................except mine has a spine full of tape, the bottom corner at the spine is clipped off all the way thru the book, the cover has creases and tears, the interior pages have a few pieces of tape and are dark cream at the edges / cream overall.......and the spine has seen better days ( from what can be seen thru the 20 yards of tape, that is ).

Like I said.....practically identical to the one pictured here!

In all seriousness, I have a real dilema with my copy.....the tape has to be removed for both the long term preservation of this very rare book, and the fact that I can't stand books with tape! My ultimate goal for the book is: no tape, blue label with no graders notes.( it is presently raw ). I asked Matt Nelson about tape removal, and he said he has a great proccess but it requires disassembly, and he can't guarantee that CGC won't issue a PLOD for the disassembly....flip side of that is I keep hearing that CGC does not consider disassembly restoration. I have a small hand held, flat tip iron used by conservators for tape removal....but I don't want to do anything myself ( I am against amateur ( me ) book repair...especially on a rarity like the 2nd appearance of Batman! ).

Any advice you guys have is welcome.

Steve

Can you post a scan of the actually copy Steve?

So if I carefully use a very thin strip of archival tape to seal a full spine split, I will get a blue label and a higher grade than if I left it completely split?

I would assume so? but I have only ever submitted books that already had the tape, not that tape was added....

now, I am planning an experiment...I have an otherwise vg looking copy of All Star 3 (it is the Crippen copy)....at one time, it had a 1" or so spine split...well, due to some poor handling, it now has a 7" spine split (bottom to top staple)...I cgc'd it, got a 1.8 (called for graders notes, spine split was the reason)... I talked to Matt Nelson, and I believe he said if I send it in, and he seals with tape, it will get a cgc 3.0 or so, with note of tape on interior....I am still debating whether or not to proceed, but I will know in Feb when I show matt the book

rick

So if I carefully use a very thin strip of archival tape to seal a full spine split, I will get a blue label and a higher grade than if I left it completely split?

I would assume so? but I have only ever submitted books that already had the tape, not that tape was added....

now, I am planning an experiment...I have an otherwise vg looking copy of All Star 3 (it is the Crippen copy)....at one time, it had a 1" or so spine split...well, due to some poor handling, it now has a 7" spine split (bottom to top staple)...I cgc'd it, got a 1.8 (called for graders notes, spine split was the reason)... I talked to Matt Nelson, and I believe he said if I send it in, and he seals with tape, it will get a cgc 3.0 or so, with note of tape on interior....I am still debating whether or not to proceed, but I will know in Feb when I show matt the book

rick

I guess then it comes down to who owns or wants to own a book with a severe spine split w/no tape vs. a book with several splits that have been sealed with archival tape professionally.... :juggle:

rick

I guess then it comes down to who owns or wants to own a book with a severe spine split w/no tape vs. a book with several splits that have been sealed with archival tape professionally.... :juggle:

that is my dliemna...originally, before the book was slabbed, it only had a 1" split...had someone of sealed the split then with tape, etc, it would likely never have 3/4 split (caught on a mylar)....now that it is in a cgc case, it still looks "vg"ish, but technically, due to the split, it is only a 1.8....now, from a value perspective, I would think that a cgc 3.0 crippen would sell for more than $1000 more than a 1.8, all other things being equal....so, from that standpoint, it is worth sealing, I guess....however, if someone understands that they "can" seal it, that it is in thecgc case already, then maybe leaving as is, is just as good...hence, my trepidation on how to proceed

rick

I always understood that archive tape was slammed as restoration, while clear tape would get you an unrestored label. Prime example of logic being completely backwards from common sense in that it rewarded people for doing damage to a book as opposed to preserving it.

I always understood that archive tape was slammed as restoration, while clear tape would get you an unrestored label. Prime example of logic being completely backwards from common sense in that it rewarded people for doing damage to a book as opposed to preserving it.

I will ask matt...maybe it is reg tape that gets blue and archival gets PLOD?....as mentioned, I have only ever submitted books that already had tape, and I honestly don't know the difference....I will have to inquire

rick

rick

that is my dliemna...originally, before the book was slabbed, it only had a 1" split...had someone of sealed the split then with tape, etc, it would likely never have 3/4 split (caught on a mylar)....now that it is in a cgc case, it still looks "vg"ish, but technically, due to the split, it is only a 1.8....now, from a value perspective, I would think that a cgc 3.0 crippen would sell for more than $1000 more than a 1.8, all other things being equal....so, from that standpoint, it is worth sealing, I guess....however, if someone understands that they "can" seal it, that it is in thecgc case already, then maybe leaving as is, is just as good...hence, my trepidation on how to proceed

rick

Tough call Rick. But, I like your saying, "Buy the Book, not the label." :P It's just too bad that there is often too much hard earned $$ involved in this hobby. :juggle:

rick

rick

Tough call Rick. But, I like your saying, "Buy the Book, not the label." :P It's just too bad that there is often too much hard earned $$ involved in this hobby. :juggle:

It is verry true many people buy a label and not a comic. i collect and sold sport cards and last month i have buy a card on ebay graded by SGC 5 EX and i purchased the card for 800 $ on ebay with no other bidder. I resubmit it to PSA ( the best graded company) the card return to me PSA 5 , same grade but in psa holder. i have resold the card in 10 minute for 2400$... ridiculous, 1600 $ more for a label...

It was my understanding that archival tape was considered amateur restoration because it is not reversible, and that regular tape was just considered a defect and although it stays in a blue holder, the book gets downgraded for it.

So we have some people saying they don't get penalised for using archival tape by cgc and some people saying they do. Do you have to be a prefered client to get this type of result? Is there a set of cgc rules which states the answer or do you need to send in a book and take your chances.

So we have some people saying they don't get penalised for using archival tape by cgc and some people saying they do. Do you have to be a prefered client to get this type of result? Is there a set of cgc rules which states the answer or do you need to send in a book and take your chances.

It depends on what you consider "penalized" - a higher "apparent" grade in a purple holder or a lower "actual" grade in a blue holder.

I want to clarify my "tape" statement...when I say archival tape, I am not distinquishing between scotch tape and something else that someone calls "archive"...I honestly don't know the difference, just threw out a term...I just know I have had books with "tape" sent in, and received universal, and I was told tape is a defect... if there is some unique difference between archival tape and "non" archival tape, then I am not privy to it (tape is tape to me)

now, if I misused the word "archival", my bad...I don't think cgc has any preferential treatment, as the graders don't know who submits the books, right?...

I just know that if you "tape" a spine split, it will (or it always has for me) be in a universal holder...I have dozens of books with tape on the spines in blue holders, and not a one in a plod

rick