• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay about to end all sniping?

322 posts in this topic

In the early days I never used to snipe. But I dont care what people say shills love to chip away at your bids rather than snipe. Chipping gives them more information also, if they over-chip at someones bid and become the high bidder, then the other bidder comes over the top. They're like, 'this guy really wants this, I've got more room to chip here '.

At some point it got so ridiculous that every 3rd auction I lost the people were asking me to buy the item at the highest price I bid. Yeah sure buddy, the checks in the mail.

Sniping is a necessary evil because it puts the question mark in the sellers head rather than the buyers. People dont bid much early so they may shill but it will be a shill for the minimum price they could live with selling it for. Whereas without sniping they will happily chip at your bids all week long if they think they can get away with it.

Really what eBay should focus on more than their fee structure and this no-snipe garbage is real auction security. Really deal with the shills. Really deal with the cheats, really deal with the overgraders. These are real transactions, with real people involved, with real money involved. eBay perpetuates the notion that bidding on eBay is in some alternate candyland universe with its mismanagement.

Great post :applause:

I do see shill bidders having a field day but that is part of an auction.

Not part of auctions I participate in. That's the beauty of a snipe. I don't think a physical presence at the end of the auctions is cool. I have a life (I think I do anyway) and would prefer not to sit at my computer for an auction to finish.

I do see sniping as being unfair to the beginner/naive bidder since they may not know about this process.

Cry me a river. They will catch on soon enough.

Ebay is definately going to lose a lot of buyers if they end sniping since it's the only fair way to win an auction anymore. There is so much shill bidding and grudge and thrill bidding that goes on with popular auctions that it's disgusting. There are so many seller friendly accounts out there that drive up auctions it's unreal. If I choose to bid in the last 30 seconds of an auction, that's my business. The expression.."Bid early and bid often" is almost as obscene as "Let them eat cake".

Ebay is definately going to lose a lot of buyers if they end sniping since it's the only fair way to win an auction anymore. There is so much shill bidding and grudge and thrill bidding that goes on with popular auctions that it's disgusting. There are so many seller friendly accounts out there that drive up auctions it's unreal. If I choose to bid in the last 30 seconds of an auction, that's my business. The expression.."Bid early and bid often" is almost as obscene as "Let them eat cake".
I agree with this even though I did the opposite a few days ago. My computor is on it's last leg. I don't use auction sniping services but, usually like to bid in the last 30 seconds. The auction ends Tuesday and my bid is in. :wishluck:

I find it hard to believe that so many people here still use e-bay for buying comics.

:screwy:

Why? That's the best place to do it. (shrug)

Yep!

Ebay rekindled my interest in comic collecting, and my golden age collection virtually wouldn't exist without it.

That said, I've always used it with an "enjoy it while it lasts" attitude...I figure at some point they will do something (new restrictions, rule changes, etc) to irrevocably screw it up. I can understand how for others, that point may have arrived already.

The way I see it, if ebay tries to get rid of sniping, it will only hurt the prices realized on big ticket items. It will affect the amount I'm willing to bid or even if I bid at all.

Manual snipe. :whistle:

Most auctions don't end until 11 or 12 Eastern time. Unless greggy is keeping awake, I usually have fallen asleep and have forgetten all about the auction. :(

So... a new niche job... rent-a-sniper. Get paid to stay up 24/7! hm

Just won another book via a snipe :acclaim:

For people like you with well-known collecting targets, I can see where sniping comes in handy. Without sniping, punishment bids from jealous wanna-bes would probably be the norm when talking 100 pagers...

Jim

Just won another book via a snipe :acclaim:

For people like you with well-known collecting targets, I can see where sniping comes in handy. Without sniping, punishment bids from jealous wanna-bes would probably be the norm when talking 100 pagers...

Jim

I used to have a running feud with someone prior to my 100 pager days where he would always bid on what I bid on. Then I threatened to bid on his other collecting pursuit, Asian teapots. He blinked. ^^

Then the loser Terrance Leder or his aliases started trolling me so I went to sniping when I really wanted something.